Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • screwedagain
    • By screwedagain 29th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 67Thanks
    screwedagain
    Pre School materials
    • 29th May 17, 9:43 PM
    Pre School materials 29th May 17 at 9:43 PM
    Hi all

Our 3yo has recently been allocated a place at a local pre school from September 2017, for the funded 15 hours a week. Little one has been in a private daycare nursery since 9 months of age but they don't provide funded pre-school places so we had to apply elsewhere.

We attended an introductory parents' meeting for the new place last week - each child is required to supply 2 boxes of tissues, 4 kitchen rolls, a bottle of kitchen surface disinfectant cleaner and an A4 ring binder with plastic sleeves etc etc.

This is fine however we would be keen to hear others' experiences - is this normal? Obviously providing materials for the childrens activities is expected to a degree, but being asked for kitchen roll and cleaning spray etc? There will be 52 kids in total if that's relevant.

Cheers,
    SA
Page 1
    • rachel green
    • By rachel green 29th May 17, 11:55 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    rachel green
    • 29th May 17, 11:55 PM
    • 29th May 17, 11:55 PM
    I had something similar when my child was allocated the free pre school place. I was asked for £15 a month to cover my child's break (milk, fruit or toast) whatever was on the menu for break that day.

I also was asked each month to supply an item, which may have been kitchen roll or anti back spray or hand soap or fairy liquid.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 30th May 17, 8:05 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 30th May 17, 8:05 AM
    • 30th May 17, 8:05 AM
    Its all to do with cut backs, schools have less money so ask if the parents can help with really basic supplies.

It will get worse after the Tory cutbacks.
    • kyral
    • By kyral 30th May 17, 10:08 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    kyral
    • 30th May 17, 10:08 PM
    • 30th May 17, 10:08 PM
    I work in a primary school and in September we ask each child to bring in a box of tissues. Its the little things like that you need to have in the classroom but unfortunately are not covered in the school budget. Its only going to get worse, believe me.
    My son is 15 and they get one exercise book per subject, when its full you have to buy a new one.

I'd imagine briinging those things in is pretty much the norm theses days
    • rept123
    • By rept123 11th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rept123
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    Hello!

I think preschools should maintain hygiene properly. If, they did not maintain it. It will affect to children's health.
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    Hello!

I think preschools should maintain hygiene properly. If, they did not maintain it. It will affect to children's health.
    Originally posted by rept123
    How do you Know that they don't?

Most preschools do ask for tissues and the sort I would Imagine Primary and High School will be asking for help as well Soon Once School Fees are paid Thankfully Our Local High is £20 School fees Unlike the Grammars.
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    • rolo1
    • By rolo1 11th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    rolo1
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    The problem is parents paying more and more lets Govt of the hook and it soon becomes the norm.
    We have "allegedly" a billion pound waiting to be spent which should be allocated towards schools, health etc but our local politicians don't seem to concerned - but they are still on payroll so as long as they are ok that's the main thing................
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 11th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    The problem is parents paying more and more lets Govt of the hook and it soon becomes the norm.
    We have "allegedly" a billion pound waiting to be spent which should be allocated towards schools, health etc but our local politicians don't seem to concerned - but they are still on payroll so as long as they are ok that's the main thing................
    Originally posted by rolo1
    They should be sacked each and everyone off them
    Plenty off Money then for our Schools.
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 24,444 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    I guess it's because the "free" 15 hrs are only funded by £3.26 per hour, hardly covering the real costs.
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 11th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    We've gone from fully funded university education and grants to 3k a year fees and 5k loans. No one batted an eye. You have to buy a box of tissues for a child and it's pandemonium.
    Last edited by saverbuyer; 11-09-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 11th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    guiriman
    Fairly sure child benefit covers the cost of a box of tissues once a year. Then again, if you earn over £50k you're screwed!
    • spo2
    • By spo2 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    spo2
    Ours is a box of tissues a year and £3 a week for snacks. The same as it was 30 years ago when I went...
    • thetope
    • By thetope 11th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    thetope
    My daughter's asks for a packet of tissues, wipes and a 4 pack of play doh. We are also asked for £15/month to pay for break/snacks and a couple of excursions

• thefreckle
    • By thefreckle 13th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    thefreckle
    We were asked for a box of tissues, a packet of wipes and hand soap. Fiver a week for the snack fund.

I've twin daughters who are loving nursery school and, considering I'm now paying a fraction of what I was paying their crèche, I certainly don't begrudge the few bits and pieces they ask for.

This is their first of 2 years too in a 9 to half 1 place. They've an early July birthday and got in as underage this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin