Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 5,969Posts
    • 43,549Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June
    • 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June 29th May 17 at 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June

Welcome one and all to your 30 day June challenge.

An opportunity to reduce how much you jiggle – financially, fitness-wise, healthwise…

This is an opportunity to decrease your debt, increase your savings, reduce your wants, reject consumerism, use up foodstuffs that have been lurking at the back of the cupboards for far too long, simplify your life and move forwards.

To quote ninjasavingkat: “As we clear out debts, we clear our lives. Of things that tie us down, make us unhappy, look untidy, feel wrong and don't fit our lives any more. The idea of clearing our debts is to improve our life - right?!? Well we need to be healthy in order to enjoy this debt free life, don't we?”

These are the rules:

• This challenge will commence on the 01st June and end on the 30th June.
    • You will aim for 12 Non Spend Days (NSDs) plus an added extra of your choice... so another 4, another 9. You decide! You do not lose an NSD for medication or fuel or purchasing ONLY yellow stickered goods.
    • Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (I hope!) Well calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • Set your budgets now, before the month starts. What you are spending on food, petrol, bills, clubs for the little ones and what you are using as a back-up plan or miscellaneous budget. Set that money aside and stick to it for the month.
    • You need to incorporate 3 proper exercise sessions a week. These are to get the heart rate up. The cleaning or ironing doesn't count. It has to be 20 minutes minimum as well - MAKE IT COUNT! (I am limited by having damaged my big toe rather badly, so no aerobic anything here. But I can still do squats, deadlifts, elevated push ups (ha ha!!!)… It’s not what you can’t do, but finding a way around your limitations.)
    • This month, make every effort to use your everyday routine to add an "extra" session of fitness wherever you can - in every way possible add little extras to your day and don't look for the 'easy" option all the time.
    • Plan Plan Plan. Look at the month ahead and be prepared for what is coming your way. Do you need to get more cat/dog food..? Prep now so you don't have to use your credit card or panic. Preparation is the key to success.
    • Plan your outings – remember: no cafes / restaurants / work canteens / no vending machines or corner cafes… Take food and drinks everywhere with you.
    • Check in here every day – we love to share in victories whether large or small, cheer each other on, and support each other in tough times.
    • And finally: reject consumerism as much as you can. This might seem hard, unrealistic, or even stupid, but the longer you have been doing these challenges, the more you know it makes sense. Tell us your triumphs!
    Who is with me?

Last edited by apple muncher; 29-05-2017 at 7:58 PM.
    NST June #1; NSD 16; Ex 15; craft 89; remove 473
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2189/£4000; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,881 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 9
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 8th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi everybody,

I am counting today as a NSD. I am working from home so no money spent commuting. I have had the shopping delivered but have a food account so I don't generally count that in my NSD tally unless I buy unnecessary things, which I didn't. I did have to pop into town and pick up a prescription, but as the thread has said we can exclude medical expenses I am claiming my NSD! lol

Walked a friend's dogs for an hour this morning as well so on track for a healthy day, and will walk to my polling station later.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £242 saved
    • misstara
    • By misstara 8th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 15,447 Thanks
    misstara
    Haven't managed on for a few days, now up to 3NSDs and if I don't spend anything today, that will make 4

No exercise done so far this month other than usual walk to and from work. I'm finally feeling much better, last day of antibiotics today and am off work at the weekend so will go for a run then.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1663.51 (27.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 6/12. Groceries target £104.25/£150. NSD target 13/16.
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 8th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Another NSD for me - 3 so far Claiming it early as all we're doing tonight is voting then round to inlaws for tea.

Thriftylass I leave my purse at home too as I know if I have change on me at work I'll succumb to a vending machine/ someone asking if I want anything from the chippy
    1 debt vs 100 days -0/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 0/£2700
    365 day penny challenge - £73.79/£667.95
    NST - 3/15 NSDs 104/£200 food 57.99/£100 garden 47/£100 spends
    Debts - CC1-4438.89 CC2-4560.38 £4260.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £2700
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 4,765 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Lost 1lb last week - better than putting it on.
    The rain is pouring down but I managed a walk to the polling station and round a bit.
    Another NSD - I actually managed to resist buying a piece of YS beef because we didn't really need it.
    Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile having a smart meter installed? I keep getting literature from Scottish Power and now they've started canvassing for appointments?
    NSD 13/12 Weightloss 1.5/48 June Womble £121.36 2017 Wombling total £971.15
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 8th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    I have gained a lb but I will admit that I am binge eating as I go through this rough patch.
    However, managed a NSD today.
    #545- SPC
    debt free by end of august 2018. First debt to clear CCJ £0/1800
    June NSD 1/20
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 8th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 16,231 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Another run after work under my belt. Please with myself for going out even thou bf isn't, I'm always tempted to go 'he's not, so I don't have to'.

Also more housey news, we've had all our documents from the seller. Our conveyancer is preparing our statement to pay, then we can agree a completion date! Seller wants 10th July, which we're happy with.

NSD's 4/20 No. 4 achieved today.
    3 exercise sessions a week 3/3 - Two Runs
    Extra fitness session 10,000 daily goal. Under again today, by about 1,000. I think I (and Duncan) need that 3rd walk after dinner.
    Reject consumerism Nothing bought.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    June NSD's 13/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1300/£4000
    / Lose weight 16.2 / 20lbs
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 8th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 8,380 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening everyone,

Sorry for not posting so much... Tuesday ended up being a spend day as I had to get a friend a last minute birthday present (bad planning!) and Wednesday ended up also being a spend day as I took myself off to the cinema - twice! One was planned, and one because I wanted to be out the house when my housemate invited his a*hole of an ex around.

Today however = NSD number 4

On the subject of sabotage... I could probably write a book haha! That said, at the moment I've just lost my enthusiasm for everything. No gym, mindfulness, can't be bothered cooking... I'm just keeping a detached eye on myself in case I'm sliding post depression medication withdrawal - or waiting to see if it's just because I've had a few stressful days on top of dull, miserable weather. Everyone has blue days - that's normal... so am not panicking just yet.

Sabotage though... it will often be buying in food I should have as a 'treat' but instead of getting 1 pack, I'll buy several, especially if on offer - meaning to just have 1/week. They always end up going over the course of 1-2 days. I know this when I buy - but I buy anyway! I'll set my alarm early to meditate - then get up, switch on my computer or phone, knowing I'll be distracted and run out of time. No self-discipline.

Why do I do it?!? I know moderating my diet and mindfulness are good for me - so why would I not want to do those things?!? It's the naughty child within rebelling against the well-meaning strict adult within lol. I'm still working on getting them to come to a working compromise haha.

Today I am grateful for:
    • The support and laughs shared over the years with a colleague who left today. I wish her every success and happiness!
    • Shared company with housemates parents who visited
    • For being able to offer comfort to someone in need
    Have a great evening folks x
    Repay Car : Phase 1 : £0/£2000.00
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £4083.65. EF = £500.00/£4500.00
    NST June : NSD=7/20 : Food £85/£125 : Spends £85.00/£125
    365 Day 1p Challenge = £347.50/£667.95. £1.00 a Day = £181.00/£365.00
    Meditation =3/7. Exercise Sessions 0/3. Cash Bonus = £11/£150 + £159/£399.00
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 5,969 Posts
    • 43,549 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for lovely colleagues helping me out, for finding something I had lost, for finishing a task I've been working on for several months, for big sis' bday parcel arriving on time, for stuffing some bunny limbs and bodies, for casting my vote, for dd enjoying taekwondo, for dh having an extra day's work tomorrow, for the tennis, for polly p0ckets providing hours of fun still.
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,881 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Jun 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5,969 Posts
    • 43,549 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thank you turtles for your tales of sabotage. Knowing what they are is a good thing as it enables us to come up with a plan .

I too get the afternoon munchies and despite knowing they'll come and get me, I often reach for quick food rather than having prepared something. I'd put myself on this month's naughty treadmill, but my damaged toe means I'd fall off the back, so I'll go in the weights corner instead!

Abundant - I have a rule that I do my quiet time stuff first thing, and I do not swipe that tantalising email icon umtil afterwards. Otherwise, the time goes and the day has not had a good start... So easily done.
    017 sell 110

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 8th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Went with mum to the infirmary yesterday, seen very quickly and no anaesthesia so I stayed with her for a while but came home to sleep. Slept well but still sluggish this morning. Pushed myself to go and meet my 'local history/ self improvement/ mutual support partner' but was quite glad he wasn't there.

There is a problem with the house phone but I haven't been at home for long enough to start sorting it out. Spent about an hour just sitting (and eating) then a half hour chat with my counsellor, just to help me clarify a couple of things I'm mulling over. Walked there but did the £1 bus hop back, then walked to vote but carried on to the taxi office and went back to mum's.

Mr and Mrs Builder asked if I had come to help them install the kitchen. Mum wants a spice rack so I have to do an internet trawl for one more like she wants or settle for one that actually exists and deliver it back tomorrow so the Builders can put it up before they finish. As always we talked through any problems (mum wanted shelves but the stud wall couldn't take much weight) and suggested things until we came up with a solution (open shelving aka cupboard without a door) on the end wall next to the window, having checked that mum can reach things there). Floor is being laid on Monday.

Found details of mum's appointment for next Tuesday (4 handbags I had to trawl through), brought all the old appointment letters home - will make up a 'medical history' with dates when things happened (also took the 3 years I have already sorted into date order from the file box) and some receipts for work done which are only really needed when selling the bungalow.

I will go on the naughty step as I have bought sandwich meals yesterday and today. I made wraps to take to the hospital but as I didn't know if I was staying over and as mum had no working kitchen I bought a different sandwich and drink. This saved my mum money as she offered to buy them at the hospital and they were dearer. As it was, she sent me to buy a sandwich for her and we both drank the water I had taken (hospital is now a costalot franchise).

I will go out at nine as I should be able to get ys bread and will make some sandwiches up for the freezer.

Looking forward to my bath (only time for a quick wash this morning).

Today I am grateful for my washing line not breaking (doubled up with several nicks in it and 2 winter duvets on it), for time to relax and unwind and for simple food (made toasted fruit loaf for tea at mum's).
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Jun No 7 SFD 13 /20 Budget Food £97.55/ £100 Transport £4.30/£10.Ext £/ £20 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 13,026 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Been doing well this week - budgetted and time constrained purchases only so I'm counting them as NSD's.

Need to do the weeks grocery shopping today though so will have a mental trawl to see if there is anything on line I need to do at the same time.

My self-sabotage is going into shops to get my steps in for the day, just for a look round and without leaving my wallet at home. Normally on days when I haven't been to the gym so am depressed already. Or staying in bed in the morning rather than jumping up and getting dressed. If I'm still in my dressing gown when DH goes to work, I'm a train wreck waiting to happen.

Today I am in my gym kit. Going to clear kitchen, pack my bag (2hrs dog walking in the rain with a friend later)

DSis arrives this evening. We are off to an Indian cookery course tomorrow. Yum.

Have a great day people.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 9th Jun 17, 8:30 AM
    • 853 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    lcc86
    Lost 1lb last week - better than putting it on.
    The rain is pouring down but I managed a walk to the polling station and round a bit.
    Another NSD - I actually managed to resist buying a piece of YS beef because we didn't really need it.
    Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile having a smart meter installed? I keep getting literature from Scottish Power and now they've started canvassing for appointments?
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Re the smart meter, I wish I could tell you - just wanted to say I'm with Scottish Power too, and they sent me letters saying they wanted to install one, so I called them, and they said oh no, the government don't let us install in flats yet! (not sure if you live in a flat or not).

Interesting election news to wake up to this morning - as a public sector worker I now hold a sliver of hope for the future.

Today won't be a NSD as OH and are going to treat ourselves to a cream cake each this evening. As usual I forgot a couple of things with the shopping delivery so will pick those up later. No other spends planned. Today I will go for a walk at lunch time and also workout later this evening so a healthy day will be achieved!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £242 saved
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 4,765 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thanks,Icc86. I live in a maisonette which I would say is basically a flat and we've had a rep come to the door asking to make an appointment. I was wondering if it's worthwhile and how much disruption it causes to install.
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 9th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Checking in heading back from a week- long residential to Weymouth with my class! Crazy to literally not get 10 minutes to yourself from 6.45 -midnight.
    On the plus side, as everything is provided and my self-control is much better:
    nsds - 4

On the minus side,I haven't been able to exercise all week and have eaten the bleurg food provided so feeling very bloated and gross. Had to ask for a tomato with my breakfast this morning as I think I'm now vitamin deficient.

Lovely to see you all again

*Skinty*
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Exercise done - walked to the retail park to get mum's spice rack (best option after internet research last night). Got soaked (went through my summer 'mac'). Still walked all the way to mum's including the horrible bridge.

Hairdresser cam and was talking about needing embroidery thread to sew her daughter's ballet shoes. I told her the woman on the market had a limited choice as she was only selling off what she had in stock, but offered her a selection if she came to my house.

Then I did my first ever barter. I asked where her next appointment was and my house was only a very small (driving round the block) detour so said if she would give me a lift home, I could give her the threads. Deal done and she's happy and very appreciative.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Jun No 7 SFD 13 /20 Budget Food £97.55/ £100 Transport £4.30/£10.Ext £/ £20 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 9th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Second NSD
    Today I am greatful for seeing my girls.
    #545- SPC
    debt free by end of august 2018. First debt to clear CCJ £0/1800
    June NSD 1/20
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 9th Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 23,225 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

no SFD today. Been home this AM with DS who has chickenpox, finally. He's 6 and avoided it at least 6-7 times. Caught it off his sister 2 weeks ago.

Did the big shop this morning. £78 in LIDL and 24 in Tesco. Stocked up on meat, cat food, litter, rice etc. Met one of DS' classmates there (chickenpox too) and he was relieved he's not the only one missing the school good bye show today.

In work now as DH is home now and will go for a few drink after work. I haven't been in ages (6mo/a year?). Dread spending the money but when do I ever get the chance. Why can men arrange these things so easily. Out of 13 girl friends I texted, ca half had plans for the next three years, 3 didn't even text back, and the 3 that are coming can only stay for a few after work before dinner Just as well I know it's not personal . So I guess at least I can still take the bus home as it'll be early enough

Have a good weekend
    NST june no 11
    SFD 6/18 spends 857/1050 (incl hol child care, holiday, vet) Exercise 5/22 Amazon vouchers for xmas £39
    Debt - all 0% 1440 to go from 5290 (72% paid off)
    DFD 9/2017 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 9th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 23,124 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hi all,

I was hopeful of a good election result when I woke this morning and still have a slight hope that we don't get a blue minority government but it looks like education is going to take another hit

SFD yesterday so 4 in total. I'm out for dinner with friends tonight so that'll be spendy but then no socialising until next payday.

It's been much drier here this afternoon, thank goodness!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £177.97/£8242
    New bathroom savings £1343/£6000
    Jan NST #22 SFD 7/15 Food 114/ 140Personal 155.23/170 Petrol 40/75
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,224 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    I'm so pleased that it's Friday and I can put my feet up for a bit - it's been a long week and I'm not sleeping that well again.
    Still busy - I'm mid marking 2 exams and really hoping I can get most of it done over the weekend and get back to crochet. I've not done any for 10 days now
    I'm home and in my pj's so I'm declaring myself a nsd now
    As for sabotage - I think I'm more than an expert with that. Food, exercise, me, life in general...
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 4,765 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Feeling really tired after staying up to watch the election results but did manage a walk and a NSD, Think I might be getting the hang of this!!!
    So pizza for tea from freezer and then an early night.
    Thrifty - Hope the wee one gets over the chicken pox. Mine caught his when he was 6 and we were on holiday in Holland. He was really proud of it and delighted in telling everyone, He's always been a strange child but I love him anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,830Posts Today

5,143Users online

Martin's Twitter