Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 6,644Posts
    • 48,713Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June
    • 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June 29th May 17 at 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June

Welcome one and all to your 30 day June challenge.

An opportunity to reduce how much you jiggle – financially, fitness-wise, healthwise…

This is an opportunity to decrease your debt, increase your savings, reduce your wants, reject consumerism, use up foodstuffs that have been lurking at the back of the cupboards for far too long, simplify your life and move forwards.

To quote ninjasavingkat: “As we clear out debts, we clear our lives. Of things that tie us down, make us unhappy, look untidy, feel wrong and don't fit our lives any more. The idea of clearing our debts is to improve our life - right?!? Well we need to be healthy in order to enjoy this debt free life, don't we?”

These are the rules:

• This challenge will commence on the 01st June and end on the 30th June.
    • You will aim for 12 Non Spend Days (NSDs) plus an added extra of your choice... so another 4, another 9. You decide! You do not lose an NSD for medication or fuel or purchasing ONLY yellow stickered goods.
    • Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (I hope!) Well calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • Set your budgets now, before the month starts. What you are spending on food, petrol, bills, clubs for the little ones and what you are using as a back-up plan or miscellaneous budget. Set that money aside and stick to it for the month.
    • You need to incorporate 3 proper exercise sessions a week. These are to get the heart rate up. The cleaning or ironing doesn't count. It has to be 20 minutes minimum as well - MAKE IT COUNT! (I am limited by having damaged my big toe rather badly, so no aerobic anything here. But I can still do squats, deadlifts, elevated push ups (ha ha!!!)… It’s not what you can’t do, but finding a way around your limitations.)
    • This month, make every effort to use your everyday routine to add an "extra" session of fitness wherever you can - in every way possible add little extras to your day and don't look for the 'easy" option all the time.
    • Plan Plan Plan. Look at the month ahead and be prepared for what is coming your way. Do you need to get more cat/dog food..? Prep now so you don't have to use your credit card or panic. Preparation is the key to success.
    • Plan your outings – remember: no cafes / restaurants / work canteens / no vending machines or corner cafes… Take food and drinks everywhere with you.
    • Check in here every day – we love to share in victories whether large or small, cheer each other on, and support each other in tough times.
    • And finally: reject consumerism as much as you can. This might seem hard, unrealistic, or even stupid, but the longer you have been doing these challenges, the more you know it makes sense. Tell us your triumphs!
    Who is with me?

Last edited by apple muncher; 29-05-2017 at 7:58 PM.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 13
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 14th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    nsd 7
    A sad day in London. Very upset to hear that the building company obviously knew about the safety risks and still thought them acceptable.
    I will never follow advice to stay and wait for firefighters again!

This week has been manic at work. So many deadlines to meet and then a whole clas to teach and control... With 4 weeks left of primary school some of them develop a bit of an, ahem, attitude. But I love the challenge

Grateful for:
    -The lawn in my garden - it's bedded in so we can now enjoy bubbles and sand and water with our 4 year old in the sun
    -An Amazon voucher (wedding present) meaning we can get blackout blinds and a bbq in a very tight month money wise
    -Having enough money to save some each month, securing future security
    - The time and opportunity to exercise, making me a nicer person to be around
    - Hitting a new kilo category, bringing my BMI down to 22
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 14th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 24,363 Thanks
    Fmess
    Wow calling that 18 months seems to have gone so quickly. Although I'm sure it has seemed far too long from your point of view.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 15th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Wow calling that 18 months seems to have gone so quickly. Although I'm sure it has seemed far too long from your point of view.
    Originally posted by Fmess
    Time has just flown by and to be honest got used now to her being away as she has worked for yr in Disney before this. Can't wait for a hug though.

Quick check in from me as my half day today, hopefully my boss putting back up my fallen down washing linen and fence boards

Done online food shop so will count that in spends today, food cupboard so low.

Will try and get some steps in after food delivered and jobs done. Will have to tidy garage - got to dangerous stage to go in there. As its nice day perfect day for throwing everything outside and major sort out.

Last night was spent with friend her old doggy on its last legs I fear. Made her come out for a walk minus dog just to take her mind off it for a while. Seemed a night for bad news off everyone, one of my old dog walking friends in hospital having treatment for throat cancer and another at the end of his life with cancer, he is in a bad way.

Anyone got any happy news.

Grateful for
    Good health
    Nice home
    Sun has got his hat on - just wish my eyes would stop itching
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £990
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3310 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1567/2000 ends 29/12/17

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 15th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Minimal Lidl shop done. Avoided temptation which was great.

Been to the gym and walked 7 dogs. I'm soaked and filthy. I feel brilliant but I need a shower.

I must remember to do my mindfulness this afternoon. I'm hoping it will help with the anxiety.

Gratitude:

1) DH for grovelling suitably for having forgotten my birthday yesterday and apologising with flowers AND HM tiramisu.

2) DH again for reassuring me that my job worries are not the end of the world. What is important is I am sober and we have each other .

3) My wonderful friend for being there to listen when I rant and complain about work which she doesn't understand.

4) The sun - which has just come out again.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 15th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 25,660 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Big hugs to everybody who has a hard time just now or gives support to loved ones in difficult situations.

I'm quite guilty of trying to ignore/blank all bad news but the recent events in London really got to me. Terrorists attacks are still kind of abstract/distant/hard to comprehend but a fire in you home like that.....

Anyway,

had a good run (best in a while) and on day two of intermittent fasting which seems to work for me better then the 4:3 or 5:2. Basically, just one rule. Don't eat between dinner and 1pm (after my training) every day. Then eat a healthy diet (for me with all the calories as not for weight loss). I function fine so far, training surprisingly good (thought I would faint or sth without eating beforehand). And I then really look fwd to a big lunch and dinner. Also if I now finish off the kids tea or snack after work it's ok as I need the calories anyway.

Sorry slightly off track. Another SFD today. Probably not tomorrow or Sat as we want to start some work on the garden that we put off for two/three years now.

Tonights tea for the grown ups will be home made diner kebabs (basically a tasty slow cooker meat loaf cut into thin slices) with spicy sauces etc.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 15-06-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 9,685 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just back from attending my cousin's funeral and quickly catching up. So much bad news so hugs to everyone. Like everyone else I am horrified by the fire in London.
    Will post tomorrow when I get myself a bit more together.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 15th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 10,223 Thanks
    Florence J
    Things have taken a turn for the worse for me. I don't want to hijack the thread or detract from the tragedy in London but I have been signed off work for a month with stress, anxiety and depression.

This means the spirit of NST is all the more important. It is important I keep my costs to a low, as I will be on a reduced income, and it is important I do gentle exercise to try and lift my spirits so I will still try to keep up with my walks and cycles.

I think I am up to 3 NSDs this month but will have to check. My spending gets out of control when I am down so I am hoping it will ease off now that I am addressing the problem.

Good luck to all and take care all of those who need care.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 9,685 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello Florence
    There are lots of people here who will completely identify with your situation and will give you support.
    You take care and be kind to yourself.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 48,713 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Look after yourself, Flo. I'd say: eat well, eat lots of veggies, avoid sugar, drink loads of water, and allow yourself some dark chocolate. And use Headspace - youcan get 10 days of it for free. (And don't beat yourself up on the bad days). Take time to 'get better', and be able to function x

FBO and Toni's - I'd say the same to you guys too! And CCL, fmess, mothernerd, Calling, abundant... Heck, if I've missed you off the list, quote it and add yourself at the bottom - no turtle gets ignored on here.

Lots of hugs to all of you.
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 15th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 17,289 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Duncans been to the vets today for his wormers and flea stuff. Mentioned the two instances (the fainting & the spots) and vet seems to think all is okay and admitted if I'd have took him in after his spots had gone down they wouldn't have been able to diagnose him.
    NSD as we're in the pet club, a monthly fee means all his wormers, flea stuff, check ups etc are free. Well worth the £12.50 a month. It's already paid itself off with all the injections, micro chipping etc you need for a puppy.

Confirmation of house completion date of 10th July! 25 days away!! Cannot wait!

NSD's 9/20
    3 exercise sessions a week 1/3 Still on one run.
    Extra fitness session 10,000 daily goal. Only a measly 5000 today, what with rushing across back town to the vets after work.
    Reject consumerism Rejected!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - /25 / Lose weight 29.0 lbs / 30lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £900/£5050
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 48,713 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Happy 25 day countdown, raphael!

Today I am grateful for good weather, for spending time with some great kids, for making a decision about something that has been nagging me, for dd loving taekwondo, for dh being able to be paid for some work, for my timetable for next year being okay, for getting a sandbag workout done, for the joy of feeling clean after a scrub in the shower, for catching 8 buses today for £4.50, for fresh rasps.
    017 sell 351

• Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 15th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Tuesday and today have been NSD so I'm now at 7/12.

Hope you're okay Florence.

I'm grateful for the weather today. Lovely sunshine always makes me feel better even if I had a horrible day at work (some bullying going on with certain members of the team). But I had a word with my manager and hopefully it'll be sorted, she was worried I was upset.
    December grocery challenge £136.56/£250 | December NSD 4/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 15th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    lcc86
    Not much to report today, didn't manage a NSD because I needed some new passport sized photos so had to pay out for them on my lunch break. Also didn't manage any exercise, other than running around constantly after work doing something or other.

Tomorrow won't be a NSD either, have to post something special delivery. Also going to my mum and dads for the weekend so have to top up with fuel beforehand.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 28/11/17 - £132 £667/£1,000 emergency fund £640 saved for household jobs
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 15th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    hi Florence...
    Sending hugs and thoughts. I was signed off 4 years ago today with the same.hace you tried yoga? It really helps me x
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 15th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Not an NSD today - spoilt it last minute with a chocolate bar which I didnt even eat! Gah! Ah well, still all in budget for the month although I'm hoping for a frugal weekend.I've warned OH father's day is going to be a homemade card and some painted pasta shapes.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 15th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 24,363 Thanks
    Fmess
    Thanks apple

Make sure you take care of yourself flo and fbo

SFD number 8 today as I was at work until 7.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs for everyone, especially those struggling atm. I didn't reply to the 10 day round up and we are now at day 15 and I have to say the verdict is "could do better".

Had a good session with my local history/mutual support partner today. I couldn't find any books on exactly the subject he suggested but found 4 I have used/ familiar authors/ methods (facing your fears/ healing emotional wounds, improving your self-esteem and mood gym). Read chapter one of Small Steps, Big Results and he has taken several notes/ photos of pages on his phone. He's got ADHD and is on the autism spectrum and has decided to go completely paperless - he is going to start scanning his degree work into his computer and getting rid of the paper.

I love that he is endlessly optimistic. I want to be more positive and banish self-limiting beliefs (especially as mum will reinforce any negativity) but we talked a bit as I needed him to understand that belief is not enough and there are limiting factors - illness, age etc. As examples I gave being a concert pianist (need belief + practical skills + hours of practice + some basic talent + not be freaked out by performing in public). We will both be setting (revisiting for me) our goals before next week. That should make me more accountable (plus you lot and the health Trainers)

The other example I gave was gardening. This is something I love and I want to keep in my life but I am planning now to organise my space over the next 5 years, so that I can still garden even if I end up in a wheelchair.

On that note I did a good declutter this morning. The building facing my house does life skills training for young people on the autism spectrum. They have grown some vegetables from seed in 2 mini-greenhouses, cleared away a triangle of space in front of the building and imported some slabs. Work seems to have stalled (not sure if due to wet weather or if the supervisor for those projects is only available at certain times). The plants were moved into small plant pots but were looking a bit sad.

I called in to say if they were delayed any longer, the plants needed moving into larger pots. They said they thought it was being organised but when I said I had some, they were open to donations so I took a dolly truck full (about 100 pots, mainly 8" - 12", a few larger, some smaller). This helps them and me as I will be moving away from lots of small pots in favour of larger deeper spaces, preferably raised up (see above plans re gardening).

Yesterday at crafts we were painting small union jacks with I (heart) Manchester written on to hang up around the building. I got a special dispensation for S and I to do an Irish flag (much easier for a blind person to paint). Then I did a Saltire and (not sure if I could do dragons) the Prince of Wales feathers as we were tidying up (think I got the motto the wrong way round but asked the project leader to apologise to the veterans for any mistakes - they host a veterans lunch every Thursday and they have a branch of Leonard Cheshire in the building).

Couldn't get to sleep last night, gave up in the early hours and googled opening times for Icyland. had pills at 5am, food then bath at six, fell asleep briefly (bad mistake). Then went to Icyland and arranged home delivery (big shop is way overdue and lots of small expensive shops have resulted).

On the way back home I bought a clock and several mugs for mum, to go with the new kitchen. Current clock has black fingers on a black face (very handy for someone who now only has one working eye). Her fingers sometimes misbehave (she has to use the other hand to uncurl them) and her current mugs have small handles - holding a heavy mug and trying to control it with your finger tips doesn't work. I bought a selection so she could see which was easiest. Also spent time this afternoon putting sticky back plastic on jar lids and biscuit tins to make them match the new colour scheme.

I will be claiming a NSD for either today or tomorrow as I could have done all my shopping today if I hadn't done mum's as well. Just need one or two bits tomorrow plus 5 mugs to match the one mum has chosen. I also have a phone call to make and tackle the chaos that is my house - on Monday I couldn't go for my walk with the health trainer as I could only find one trainer (fell asleep fully clothed, pushed trainers off my feet next time I woke, knew one dropped off the bed - the other had disappeared into a mountain of clean clothes, bedding and towels ).

Mum's partner will not be returning to the bungalow. He was admitted to hospital and then moved to nursing home, which he loves. Mum's nurse said she shouldn't be visiting the hospital and her partner hasn't missed her (he has dementia and she was the only person he still recognised). Mum is physically much frailer than him and as his illness has progressed the workload has increased exponentially. She wouldn't say he couldn't come back but has admitted that the last few weeks have been restful and she would be relieved if it were decided that he should stay in care.

Today I am grateful for my partner (friends without benefits) and our mutual support, for continuing access to my counsellor if I should need her, for the joy of socks (today's are dark pink/ light purple with black or navy stripes - really pushing my boundaries on socks).

Relief and gratitude that mum has made the decision I have wanted for months (caring has placed an intolerable burden on her and taken a heavy toll on her health), slight hope that this may help with my own depression (I am aware that I should have started to come out of it by now and something is making me feel 'stuck').

Grateful for having a freezer full of food and alternatives to keep DS3 and Beloved (and me sometimes) away from the temptations of the takeaway.

I am going to stop or I may break the thread under the weight of this post.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 6/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 515/2017
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 16th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Thanks apple.

Flo and Fbo turtles are still here to support you. Extra hugs.

Today my best friends dog passed away. Had her and dog around last night, dog had been fitting this week but seemed her usual self otherwise. Good age but will have to buy a little gift to try and cheer her up. She is coping so much better than I did.

Spendy day again then so rubbish this week. Had big food delivery yesterday so no need to food shop for weeks.

Grateful
    Got my washing line put up and fence mended.
    Weekend is on its way.
    Broke as ever but happy
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £990
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3310 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1567/2000 ends 29/12/17

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 16th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    FloAre you wanting to go back to that job or look for something else? I'm finding the uncertainty of this horrible.

I'm trying to use my enforced time off to think about other options if everything does come crashing down. The legal costs of defending myself would be astronomical and I don't have the heart to fight.

Today I have failed miserably with the exercise I know would be good for me, but its grey and dreary and I don't want to go out with a wallet as I will do what you do and spend.

Have you been put in touch with someone professional to talk to? Stress, Anxiety and Depression will not magically go away because you are not at work. Mine is getting worse. I'm hoping to get some counselling organised, but at the moment I am using a great book called 'Mind over mood'. It's very good when I am paralysed with the fear that my ex-boss is going to turn up on my doorstep. It sometimes helps to write these thoughts down.

PM me if you want to 'talk' I'm not a professional but I have LOTS of experience of counselling so might be able to point you in a helpful direction.

Mothernerd Great to hear that the situation with your mothers partner has resolved itself without confrontation being necessary. It will make you and your mothers lives so much less stressful.

Thanks for all the support. I'm trying to stay in the moment and not catastrophise about things that are only a possibility.

I'm going to cook.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • greent
    • By greent 16th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,712 Thanks
    greent
    Have been MiA. I can see that there are massive hugs needed to lots of turtles - consider yourself all hugged and an extra big squeezy one to those particularly in need.

Been working full on this week and shattered. Spends are ok. Exercise is non existent. Haven't been keeping tally of anything - refuse to drop out this month totally, as reading and occ posting is better than nothing! Am looking forward to July which will be both post exam season and post uni-open-day visit season with DS1
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,181Posts Today

6,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin