Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 6,055Posts
    • 44,151Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June
    • 29th May 17, 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June 29th May 17 at 7:47 PM
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June

Welcome one and all to your 30 day June challenge.

An opportunity to reduce how much you jiggle – financially, fitness-wise, healthwise…

This is an opportunity to decrease your debt, increase your savings, reduce your wants, reject consumerism, use up foodstuffs that have been lurking at the back of the cupboards for far too long, simplify your life and move forwards.

To quote ninjasavingkat: “As we clear out debts, we clear our lives. Of things that tie us down, make us unhappy, look untidy, feel wrong and don't fit our lives any more. The idea of clearing our debts is to improve our life - right?!? Well we need to be healthy in order to enjoy this debt free life, don't we?”

These are the rules:

• This challenge will commence on the 01st June and end on the 30th June.
    • You will aim for 12 Non Spend Days (NSDs) plus an added extra of your choice... so another 4, another 9. You decide! You do not lose an NSD for medication or fuel or purchasing ONLY yellow stickered goods.
    • Pay towards your debt first! This is imperative. You have your debt free date in mind (I hope!) Well calculate how much you need to pay per month to reach it - and pay that first. Live off the rest. Simples.
    • Set your budgets now, before the month starts. What you are spending on food, petrol, bills, clubs for the little ones and what you are using as a back-up plan or miscellaneous budget. Set that money aside and stick to it for the month.
    • You need to incorporate 3 proper exercise sessions a week. These are to get the heart rate up. The cleaning or ironing doesn't count. It has to be 20 minutes minimum as well - MAKE IT COUNT! (I am limited by having damaged my big toe rather badly, so no aerobic anything here. But I can still do squats, deadlifts, elevated push ups (ha ha!!!)… It’s not what you can’t do, but finding a way around your limitations.)
    • This month, make every effort to use your everyday routine to add an "extra" session of fitness wherever you can - in every way possible add little extras to your day and don't look for the 'easy" option all the time.
    • Plan Plan Plan. Look at the month ahead and be prepared for what is coming your way. Do you need to get more cat/dog food..? Prep now so you don't have to use your credit card or panic. Preparation is the key to success.
    • Plan your outings – remember: no cafes / restaurants / work canteens / no vending machines or corner cafes… Take food and drinks everywhere with you.
    • Check in here every day – we love to share in victories whether large or small, cheer each other on, and support each other in tough times.
    • And finally: reject consumerism as much as you can. This might seem hard, unrealistic, or even stupid, but the longer you have been doing these challenges, the more you know it makes sense. Tell us your triumphs!
    Who is with me?

Last edited by apple muncher; 29-05-2017 at 7:58 PM.
    NST Joyful July #2; NSD 11; Ex 18; craft 110; remove 477
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 10
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Sorry I have been so quiet. The election took hold of me!

I'm now on 5 NSD which I'm pleased about.

Everything has been going well - I'm within budgets which is a massive bonus and my mum is partly paying me back today so that makes things better too!

Im grateful for the sunshine today after so much rain!!!!
    July grocery challenge £197.82/£275| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £78/£1,000 | July NSD 8/14
    Credit Card: £495 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,989 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,080 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,354.82
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 44,151 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a relaxing day, for the glut of rasps in the garden, for getting dd a dr appt for today, for a friend popping in, for the tennis, for utube kids version, for not feeling so panicky and anxious, for my morning workout, for getting the front mown - it looks soooo much better!
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 9th Jun 17, 8:49 PM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 16,519 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I too get the afternoon munchies and despite knowing they'll come and get me, I often reach for quick food rather than having prepared something.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    @ldi do little nut, seed & fruit snack pockets. They are about 39p each & around 80-90 calories.
    They are really tasty and take the hit off my 10:30 pre-lunch hunger. I usually keep a pack or two snuggled in my bag.

No run for me today, bf was up at 4am for work, and therefore I was up at 4am. It also meant I had to do the early morning doggy stroll. So I've been three times around the park today so I have scored my 10,000 steps.

NSD's 5/20 Just my budgeted music lesson today.
    3 exercise sessions a week 3/3 - Three Runs
    Extra fitness session 10,000 daily goal. Achieved!
    Reject consumerism Rejected!!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    July NSD's 13/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1400/£4000
    / Lose weight 17.6 / 20lbs
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 9th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Not a NSD today. Food shop - £46.70, garden spends - £28 on cushions for our new patio set, £20 on petrol, £27 on dog groomers and £3 unplanned spending on brekkie. Had less than 2 hours sleep, late for work so nothing made and nipped to shop for a meal deal brekkie. Bought some ys pastries whilst shopping to sort out avoiding temptation tomorrow.

Back to doing our meal planning before the weekly shop and I know what I'm doing all next week plus will have a couple of leftovers for the freezer.

We forgot to do meter readings last few months and for some reason they estimated really high usage and put our dd up to £91 submitted our actual readings and we're £53 in credit. Not sure what they'll take out this month but have budgeted for the £91 in case. Anything left over can go on the cc.

Hubby's van is being serviced next week which he's put money aside for and hopefully there'll be a nice chunk of that left to put on a cc too.
    I'm feeling really positive this month about beingable to get really stuck into those ccs now the car payments sorted
    1 debt vs 100 days -£100/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 £100/£3286
    365 day penny challenge - £94.14/£667.95
    NST - 3/16 NSDs £140.16/£250 food 0/£60spends
    Debts - CC1-£4438.89 £4393.72 CC2-4560.38 £4160.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £3286
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 20,036 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Booked the taxi for next weeks appointment (hopefully the last for a couple of weeks) and went to see my Health Trainer. I have put more weight on so definitely need renewed effort. Failed to reject materialism (?) as Oxfam had more embroidery magazines on display and there was a Snowman one - spent £1.50 on that and a large piece of aida fabric. Question mark is because mag would have cost £5, buying the pattern about £15 and fabric £5 plus. Also buying from a charity shop is one of the Gaia things (can you borrow/ rent; can you repair or make yourself; can you barter/ get it from a charity shop/co-op) to avoid buying/ buying well. Not 'needed' but a long term 'want' ie collecting several as cheaply as possible - I love the Snowman.

Did check out clothes and further craft purchases in another charity shop. May go back at some point as they had a craghoppers sweatshirt in turquoise for a fiver? Favourite brand, favourite colour - always check when in B town to see if any are sale bargains and missed out on this one (they were all gone in my size when they reduced them).

As I had spent money I also bought myself some coloured stars and smilie faces. Inspired by abundant, decided I definitely need a star chart to visibly track my progress. Saw these last month and forgot to include them on a spend day.

Plan to get house in order (behind with washing and clearing rubbish, general beating into shape) over the next three days and plan and prepare for next week.

Today I am grateful for keeping going when it rained on me, getting a lift home and being cheerful.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST July #1 SFD 9/16 Healthy day 11/20
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 9th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 18,054 Thanks
    Calling14
    Quick check in.

Spends today Car again £219 slightly cheaper than £230 quoted.

Still £470 in total this week hurts :-(. Just hope the other wheel bearing doesn't go as well.

Grateful for

Went theatre tonight already booked with daughter, my boss was there and bought our drinks.

Daughter bringing cottage pie over tomorrow for lunch.

£20 surveys vouchers arriving.
    £15 Nat Trust gift shop voucher with new membership
    £5 Argos voucher found thought lost it, have to use by next week.
    Election results well done Jeremy.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 1880
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 2420/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge26 #3 370/ 1400 ends 13/9/17

• cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 10th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 4,875 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Hope the weathers better with you than here, rainy and windy yuck. So going to attempt to get to the gym today.
    Soup in slow cooker for lunch, droopy lettuce, frozen peas, onion and the green bits from some spring onions that I saved instead of binning them. Dried herbs, pepper and a stock cube ( normally I put a spoon full of mint sauce in but just realised I haven't any) and that's lunch sorted. And no wasted salad stuff ��
    Spent £2 on sweeties last night, naughty I know but sometimes you just really need chocolate.
    Cheesy pasta for tea so quite a cheap food day
    Anyway time to get on
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles ��
    July food spend Lost track so just as little as possible for the rest of the month
    Exercise week 1 3/3
    Week 2 3/3
    Week 3 3/3
    NSD 9/16
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 10th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 20,985 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile having a smart meter installed? I keep getting literature from Scottish Power and now they've started canvassing for appointments?
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    I have a smart meter - I'm sure it took them hardly any time and did not create any mess except the dust that fell out of the meter cupbaord (its on a wall on the landing which we boxed in).

I like them because on the 27th of each month my supplier take a reading without me even needing to be home and then bill me every 3 months. Another plus side is that all my bills are accurate.

DH and I are rarely at home so we would always miss the meter reader, then he would put a card through for us to read it and leave the card outside and then we would forget and he would come again and then we would get an estimated bill which put our DD up sky high - a smart meter saves all of that hassle for us.

I would say if you have the chance to go for it.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 4 for July
    NSD - 11/16
    (up to 21/7/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 10th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 20,985 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    No more NSD's to report - Thurs was out with people from my girls weekend, paid £10 for Chinese.
    Last night out for a colleagues leaving do - that cost £25 and today we are off to get my son from Uni so that will involve Mcdonalds on the way home.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 4 for July
    NSD - 11/16
    (up to 21/7/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thanks EE. I think I will do that as our DD seem to be all over the place - high one minute, then reduced only to go back up again. Was wondering about the disruption as we are having insulation done on the outside of the building and new heating system put in some time in the
    near? future, courtesy of the council for which I am very grateful, but I don't know how much more disruption I can manage. Like living in a building site at the moment.
    NSD 10/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £64.42 2017 Wombling total £1064.65
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 10th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I've had a very spendy day today. We picked our wedding rings today so paid 20% deposit and spread the rest on 12 month 0% finance. Wedding is getting closer now (although November is a fair distance away) and I'm happy that that is another thing ticked off the list.

Also had lunch at Pizza Express. Expensive lunch but we will have to count this as our takeaway this month!

I've also purchased a new rain coat from Decathlon as mine has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I have failed miserably at rejecting consumerism today!

I am grateful for all my new things though!
    July grocery challenge £197.82/£275| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £78/£1,000 | July NSD 8/14
    Credit Card: £495 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,989 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,080 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,354.82
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 13,706 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    YAY. NSD Today.

Yesterday wasn't as I did the weekly shop. Just as well the post arrived after I left. Threatening letter from ex-boss. I deliberately left my wallet at home while going out to dog walk, visit GP and collect sister from airport. The temptation to binge eat crap was definitely high. Which would have killed my diet and my budget.

Today I had a cookery course (pre-paid) I deliberately left my wallet in the car when we went in (Kitchen shop attached) and resisted the temptation to stop off for Pepsi Max for the drive home.

Not looking forward to Monday - need to find an employment lawyer.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 16,519 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Stroll into town today for another tattoo session on my full sleeve. £120 for 2 hours of pain. Elbows are not fun, didn't feel the bicep at all.

While I was in town I bought my monthly comic, bought some craft goods & popped to the library to photocopy some old news stories off the microfiche. Each photo copy was supposed to be 55p, but as they didn't come out very well the librarian lowered it to 10p a page. Pleased with that as I had 15 pages.
    I almost got away with a bigger discount as the chap handed me back £4.50 change from my fiver, instead of just £3.00. Lucky for him I'm honest.
    The craft stuff and the old news stories were for presents so that will come out of my present pot.

NSD's 5/20 Bf did the grocery shop on top of my town spends
    3 exercise sessions a week 3/3 - Three Runs
    Extra fitness session 10,000 daily goal. Despite walking into town and home again I'm around 8500. I'm about 8,000 ahead of my brother so I don't mind.
    Reject consumerism Stuck to my essentials today. Although if my route had gone past a costa I would probably have popped in. I need to get out of the mentality of 'it doesn't matter as it's a spend day anyway'.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    July NSD's 13/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1400/£4000
    / Lose weight 17.6 / 20lbs
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    FBO - I really feel for you. I'm retired now but the last couple of years in a job that I had previously really loved were miserable because of new management. I don't know your circumstances, obviously, but my experience was that they bully you because they think you don't know your rights, Seek advice. Were you in a union or any kind of professional organisation. They might give you some free advice. Hope it all works out anyway - keep us posted for support.
    Got soaked on my walk to Lidl but got some things that we needed without buying anything else (apart from the strawberry chocolate that mysteriously jumped into the basket - C swears he doesn't know how it got there).
    At the moment I am suffering the agony of C watching the Scotland/England football match. Guess where we live?. I'm off for a glass of wine with my next door neighbour - she's suffering, as well.
    Have a nice evening.
    NSD 10/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £64.42 2017 Wombling total £1064.65
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 18,054 Thanks
    Calling14
    Good luck FBO I have one boss that is a total bully if he is in one of his moods makes my day hell.

Today cleaning, ironing done before dd and grandkids arrived. GS overtired after late night and still getting over chicken pox. Noisy day between him and baby finding her voice so loud- not crying just shouty. Too wet to go out but we popped to a cafe for cake treat this afternoon -diet out the window.

Bought new floor lamp for my lounge, fed up of twig lights breaking. So cosy glad I did.

I have heaps of cooked chicken to use up so looking like naughty night with some wedges and glass of wine.

Exercise awful today 5.5k. Happy house is cleaner though.

Will get out and about tomorrow need some fresh air.

Hugs to anyone feeling bit flat xx
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 1880
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 2420/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge26 #3 370/ 1400 ends 13/9/17

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 13,706 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Thanks Toni'sfriend I was on the phone on Friday to my professional legal advice team. Monday morning I will find an employment lawyer. The reply is coming from them!
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 10th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 44,151 Thanks
    apple muncher
    FBO - definitely get advice. Then you will be told what to do, rather than trying to find out what to do on your own and fretting about getting it wrong. Hugs.

Today I am grateul for lovely sunshine, for dd thoroughly enjoying her dance classes, for bumping into a friend on the bus home, for finishing off 4 bunnies and 8 russian ladies this morning, for the difference a small bit of curry made to our beans on toast, for finally filling in my expenses forms, for a gaggle of kids playing in our garden this afternoon, for the prolific raspberry bushes, for some good charity shop finds (like mothernerd, they are wants rather than needs, but I do not often see things like them), for planning a picnic tomorrow.
    017 sell 110

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 10th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    lcc86
    Today wasn't a NSD. OH and I were meant to go to Southend one day last year but never did, so we decided to go today. Weather was lovely, although I did end up buying a few clothes in Primarni. I needed some of those "invisible" socks for summer so can justify that, but also got a t shirt and summer dress. In the end I spent £30 from my unallocated budget. I only have one more unallocated spend which I'm allowed this month.

Tomorrow I'm out all day volunteering and riding so it'll def be a healthy day. Weather should be good too.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £313 saved
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 44,151 Thanks
    apple muncher
    We are now one third of the way through June.

Look back on the last 10 days and reflect on what you have done well.

Then look at the next 10 days: what will you choose to focus on.

(I'm going to increase my 'extra' exercise and really make my workouts count)
    017 sell 110

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 27,378 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning
    I have planned and organised myself well in terms of managing my stress levels and workload so far this month - that needs to continue. I also need to do less spending and more saving. And make sure I continue to eat well and stay as healthy as I can...
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

6,476Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin