Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 29th May 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4,007Posts
    • 7,282Thanks
    mishkanorman
    How do you decide which house?
    • 29th May 17, 3:27 PM
    How do you decide which house? 29th May 17 at 3:27 PM
    I've narrowed my choice down to 3 houses, all similar price however they all have different selling points, 1 completely modernised, 1 more practical for the rooms and one which is a total 'heart' choice.

Would you offer on all 3 ? See which one comes cheapest ? Our priority isn't specific enough to say location wins or decor etc. And they all suit for school catchment area.

What factors are important to you ?

Any tips on how to compare them when they tick different boxes appreciated !
    Bow Ties ARE cool

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais
Page 2
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 30th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 23,629 Posts
    • 50,234 Thanks
    LandyAndy

From several house moves, its an almost instant feeling too when you walk in a place - from the first minute its about 99% yes or 99% no whether you think you could live happily there. Or maybe I'm a bit odd lol
    Originally posted by warby68
    You aren't at all odd (or you aren't alone in being odd). I've always had that feeling of 'this is the one' or 'oh no, not for me' when viewing.
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 30-05-2017 at 9:19 AM.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 30th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 7,644 Posts
    • 24,897 Thanks
    fairy lights
    How do you decide which house to buy?
    Why, you post the links on the forum and lets the members decide, of course!
    • BelfastFTB
    • By BelfastFTB 30th May 17, 9:48 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    BelfastFTB
    There's nothing quite like 'the feeling'. I had put offers in for three houses, each of them falling through, and each of them I see now I would have regretted buying. The search took 18 months, during which time I saved a bigger deposit, and landed my dream home. I cried with relief, happiness and emotion on the first viewing and loved it with my practical head on during the second inspection and post-survey. It was finished beautifully internally, and the work on the back garden will start in a couple of weeks. I moved in back in October and the time's flown.

ETA I agree with the suggestion you may not have found your dream home, though!
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 30th May 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    We've had that initial 'heart sing, love within moments of entering' feeling at our last three houses - despite all three being in varying stages of dereliction, lol!

I confess they are all pretty quirky/different - a thatch, a tudor and arts and crafts - and would therefore probably be considered 'marmite' properties to many.

Despite that feeling we'd found 'the one', with each we quickly fell out of love - mainly due to the location being not exactly as perfect as the house itself, although DH still misses the thatch that was on a busy rural A road in an AONB and shook throughout its three storeys each time a juggernaut thundered past

As soon as we'd rebuilt it - it was crumbling and considered unmortgageable when we purchased - we sold and despite our sympathetic restoration we made a very small profit.

Our current house is stunningly beautiful imho, but will be sold soon. The house and its garden are perfect, but the noise of (nearish) neighbours and distance from the sea is killing it for me.

Otoh, the one truly perfect house we ever bought - size, style and location - we sold when it became too large to maintain and for two to rattle around in. We both regret that sale but couldn't afford to ever buy it back as we moved to a less expensive part of the country in order to become mortgage-free ten years ago.

In fact in twenty-odd years we only ever bought one house we felt no love for and indeed hated from the get-go. We stayed five years and again restored it to its former glory, but I can honestly say I was thoroughly miserable every day we were there.......

Feeling the love is important for some, but location trumps everything!
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 30-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 30th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    penguingirl
    We picked our current house based on location, affordability and noise. It was the only 3 bed we saw in a fast moving market that we could afford that wasn't right next to the dual carriageway and was still within a mile of the station. We don't love it, but it will do for now and I think we will sell it easily as 3 beds here don't hang around. I loved our previous house more, but we had nicer neighbours and it was our first home so had sentimental attachment. But the location stopped working for us and I wouldn't have wanted to raise a family in the area.

Op- I wouldn't go for a house with a bedroom off another if you plan to resell at any point- it would be a major no for a lot of people (myself included)
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 30th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    Thank you everyone !

I think I came to the realisation that we only really want the one we love and we are trying to make the other 2 fit rather than them being stronger contenders.

So, now we have the task of getting them to accept a low ball offer �� wish me luck !
    Bow Ties ARE cool

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th May 17, 1:35 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 4,596 Thanks
    teddysmum
    A possible concern with the one you love is any other hidden expenses. Is it a late 20th century house that just needs updating with a kitchen ,bathroom and some paint or is it older with the possibility of a need for something like a complete rewire or roof re-tile ?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 31st May 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Thank you everyone !

I think I came to the realisation that we only really want the one we love and we are trying to make the other 2 fit rather than them being stronger contenders.

So, now we have the task of getting them to accept a low ball offer �� wish me luck !
    Originally posted by mishkanorman

What % off is a "low ball offer"?
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 1st Jun 17, 1:58 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    It's on the market at 300k - we offered 275 which was indicated to be too low so we have upped to 280, should here in the next couple of days
    Bow Ties ARE cool

• mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 4th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    Just thought I'd update the thread,

I went for a 2nd viewing on the property and was advised there were another interested party who also went in low and also upped their offer - vendor asked for best and final offers.

We went in at 285,250.00 - which was accepted !!

I have a feeling we were bidding against ourselves but we've secured it at a price we can afford (hopefully)
    Bow Ties ARE cool

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,959 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Congratulations.

We were in our current house for 5 years before we did anything major to sort out its huge failings, but we both survived the experience.

A long period of planning and research wasn't wasted time for us. If you have to save before tackling the kitchen or bathroom, you can make the time count. Despite being very careful and doing our best, there are still many things we see now which could have been done better, or more cheaply.

Have fun!
    Working subliminally.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 4,596 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It's over 40 years ago, but having looked at lots of houses (especially put off by one with the deceased owner's bed and 'tubes' still in situ) we decided on newbuild.

My father worked for the company (no discount) so knew they were good quality and we easily reduced the choice to house over bungalow and lounge/diner over diner/kitchen.

The choice was one of six semis, which reduced to three as I wanted a door which opened on the same side as the house I was brought up in (I only realised this after purchase, when Dad pointed it out). One of the three left sides of semis was taken, one was at the end without the benefit of a side lawn, so that left the one are in to this day.
    • HoneyOnThePavement
    • By HoneyOnThePavement 12th Jun 17, 11:53 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    HoneyOnThePavement
    My brother's house has been waiting for about 10 years - in 10 years life still goes on. He bought a piece of wreck somewhere in NZ just because he loved the place. The piece of wreck, as an investment into a dream house was affordable, unlike the further renovation. So he just postponed dealing with the house. In his leasure he's been continually checking builders' websites and their pricelists. Finally found one firm Now it might take him a few months more to move to his new old house.
    Surely if you have a family waiting for ten years is not your case, but maybe a little patience would help to find the way out.
    Last edited by HoneyOnThePavement; 13-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    • bridgette1
    • By bridgette1 13th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bridgette1
    If it wasn't love at first sight, then follow your gut when deciding!
    • SensibleSarah
    • By SensibleSarah 13th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    SensibleSarah
    So I'm the only one who was so sick of looking for a house (after 18 months of viewings) that I just went for the house I hated the least?
    Could only afford a fixer-upper so my options were somewhat limited to 'horrible and dated' or 'more horrible and dated'.

Congrats OP! Sounds like you've got 'the one'!
    • Brianakagenius
    • By Brianakagenius 13th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brianakagenius
    Honestly speaking , we as human we nt the same, so I think you know what you looking for and what u like its not what other people may like, so I just wana say goodluck on your final decision. On my side I prefer a house with a big yard so that if there is anythng I would like to add , I know I got the space
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 13th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    We was due to buy the house we live in from the landlord! Not the ideal house but ideal location! And houses don't come up for sale very often, we had been buggin him and askin to sell since December! End of April and as luck would have it house across road came up for sale....we both said it wouldn't hurt to look! So we went across and fell in love! Its so much better than our current house! I'm so glad now he didn't agree to sell to us sooner as we would of missed out on the opportunity of the one across road (south facing garden, it's on a bend so corner plot, has had a lot of work done, bigger and better layout than ours) ours was more of landlord won't do anythin to it, we want to live round here permanently and can put our own stamp on it......we knew the second we walked in the house across road and it was a no brainier. My point is if u don't feel like that then maybe keep looking and don't just settle xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,760Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter