Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theepw
    • By theepw 29th May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    theepw
    Multi-gym in house
    • 29th May 17, 11:34 AM
    Multi-gym in house 29th May 17 at 11:34 AM
    Hi there,

I would very much appreciate some advice if that's okay.

I'm quite keen on my fitness and have a multi-gym (purchased from Argos): Men's health 66Kg home multi-gym.

I'm also a first time buyer and have just recently moved house.

However, I'm understandably a little bit more cautious about causing any potential damage to my own property. I was intending on building the multi-gym in an upstairs spare bedroom to create a small gym/work-out area.

However, does anyone know if it's safe to house a home multi-gym upstairs? It might sound like a bit of a silly question, but I don't want to risk causing damage to the upstairs flooring or downstairs roof (as it is quite a heavy piece of kit).

Does anyone know if it's structurally safe to build a multi-gym upstairs?
    Do any of you currently have/use a home multi-gym upstairs and have not had any issues with doing this?

Thanks for your advice.
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 29th May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 27,170 Thanks
    custardy
    • 29th May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 29th May 17, 11:48 AM
    Shouldn't cause any issues if the floors sound
    However these things are often bought & never used.
    Will you? If so look to second hand. save a fortune.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 29th May 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 47,389 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 29th May 17, 2:04 PM
    • 29th May 17, 2:04 PM
    We have an upstairs gym in what was a bedroom. Not a multi-gym but fully equipped so treadmill etc. All used regularly for over 5 years and no structural problems.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) September £409.15 Total £8409.15/£12000

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 12,752 Posts
    • 16,930 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 29th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 29th May 17, 5:01 PM
    I used to have a multi-gym in an upstairs bedroom with no problems although height-wise it only just fitted.

Still have it but it's now in an outbuilding with a solid concrete floor which is better for free weights. I certainly wouldn't be using those in an upstairs bedroom.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • HoneyOnThePavement
    • By HoneyOnThePavement 13th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    HoneyOnThePavement
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    My sister bought a multy-gym. It's on the third floor now - no problems but for the sound.
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    ukjoel
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    weight
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    If your multigym is 66kg as you say then ask yourself the following question.

If a 66kg person went into that bedroom and fell through the floor would they sue the housebuilder?

Yes - they would. Therefore most rooms are designed to handle significantly more weight than that.

I think years ago I had a 150kg system in a loft room with no issues and when I got rid of it for free weights there must have been over 200kg of free weights floating around in the room.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,183Posts Today

8,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin