Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 29th May 17, 10:09 AM
    • 66Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: BA flights chaos after IT meltdown
    • 29th May 17, 10:09 AM
    MSE News: BA flights chaos after IT meltdown 29th May 17 at 10:09 AM
    Thousands of British Airways's passengers travel plans have been thrown into chaos following a "major IT systems failure" which has affected flights worldwide....
Page 3
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    JPears
    If it was delayed due to the IT failure they are talking bovine excrement. Continue with your claim, download Vauban's super duper guide and proceed to sending a further claim marking it as an NBA or LBA.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I've been given EU compensation for my delayed BA flight during that weekend, as have many others (check Flyertalk).
    • Rosaboobie
    • By Rosaboobie 10th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosaboobie
    Ha ha - what a surprise - BA have rejected my compensation claim - this is their reply:-

"
    Thanks for contacting us about your EU compensation claim.
    Your claim has been refused because BA0048 on 19 May was delayed because our Captain was unwell, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
    We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. We’re very sorry the delay was necessary in this case.

• Vauban
    • By Vauban 10th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    Vauban
    Ha ha - what a surprise - BA have rejected my compensation claim - this is their reply:-

"
    Thanks for contacting us about your EU compensation claim.
    Your claim has been refused because BA0048 on 19 May was delayed because our Captain was unwell, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
    We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. We’re very sorry the delay was necessary in this case.

Originally posted by Rosaboobie
    If he fell unwell during or just immediately before the flight, perhaps. But otherwise, it's just an operational problem that it's the airline's responsibility to fix - and not "extraordinary" at all.

When did the pilot fall ill and what actions did they take to try to provide an alternative - write to them to ask this, but give them 14 days to respond before you reserve the right to start a legal claim.
    • Rosaboobie
    • By Rosaboobie 10th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosaboobie
    They told us about the pilot being unwell many hours before the original flight and stated his relief had to rest overnight because of flying hours rules. I also spoke at length to a passenger who lives in Anchorage. She was due to fly to Seattle on our Anchorage flight but was told beforehand that the BA Heathrow flight was delayed until next day so she stayed at home and flew in next day to Seattle. So this lady was in fact given almost a day's warning of the delay!

This is what the official BA letter states that was handed to me on the day the flight was cancelled:-

"I am sorry about the delay to your flight today. The pilot who was due to operate this service is unwell. I am pleased to tell you that your replacement pilot comes from London this evening and will require rest, before he can legally operate the service" - and hence our flight was delayed by 18 hours until the following day.

I know what Vauban's Guide says about this, but it seems that BA are rejecting compensation claims en masse!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    JPears
    no surprise given the fiasco several weeks ago. You have to remember airlines are a business. Whilst some the air crew and ground staff are good with care and compasssion, those that run have little, even for their own staff. They will try to fob off every person they can with lame excuses, misinformation and occasional untruths. For every 100 delayed, probably only 10 -20 will sekk compensation? Half of those will accept the above if told no claim. Its a numbers game the airlines are well used to playing. Denied boarding a good example.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 10th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Crew sickness...

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-delays-caused-by-crew-sickness?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitte r&utm_medium=bottandco#25.4.17
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter