Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 29th May 17, 8:39 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Bodders11
    0 WOW
    Where in the world?
    • 29th May 17, 8:39 AM
    0 WOW
    Where in the world? 29th May 17 at 8:39 AM
    Looking for suggestions on where to go on holiday between February and April 2018. I am looking to go for a minimum two weeks, max three. Of course, as I am on this site, I am doing it on a budget, whatever that means (suggest £1200-1500 max per person for flights and accommodation).

Some of the places I have considered are: Philippines, Bali, Thailand, Miami and Mexico together and Rio de Janeiro. Most of these are, I think, a bit over my budget.

What do I want from my holiday? Sun, good food, the opportunity to relax on a beach or by a pool, some adventures and excursions, good nightlife.

I am 27. Travelling from London with a friend. Previously I have been to California, Morcoco, Dubai, Egypt and most major European countries except Italy.

Need more insight please shout. Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 30th May 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    What about Mexico? Some void deals and if you stay along the Riviera Maya then you have Xcaret, Xel Ha etc. .... Brilliant for a day out. We stayed in the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum, great hotel including a small dolphinarium.
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 31st May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bodders11
    Mexico would be nice but not really bucket list. My friend would like South America but not sure finances extend that far.

Is Cape Town really feasible based on my budget? Would love to do a safari.

Vietnam definitely an option. Need to research this.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 31st May 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    blindman
    Vietnam definitely an option. Need to research this.
    Originally posted by Bodders11
    Several threads on Vietnam and Cambodia on MSE

PompeyPete seems to be the expert
    Last edited by blindman; 31-05-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 1st Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    benjus
    Mexico would be nice but not really bucket list. My friend would like South America but not sure finances extend that far.
    Depends where you go in South America really. Doubt you could afford Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires on that budget, but you could go to some of the less popular places. Bolivia has some amazing sights and is still quite cheap (you can get a reasonable hotel in central La Paz for £25/night, and a lot less than that if you consider B&Bs or hostels). Catch is that flights tend to be quite expensive and there are no direct flights from the UK. Colombia is very much an up-and-coming tourist destination but I'm not sure what prices are like.

However, nowhere in South America is as cheap as parts of Asia.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • slinga
    • By slinga 1st Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    slinga
    Just goes to show it all depends on individual taste.
    Some places put forward on here as fabulous I wouldn't send my worst enemy to.
    I suppose it is just the same for what I suggest.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 2nd Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Several threads on Vietnam and Cambodia on MSE

PompeyPete seems to be the expert
    Originally posted by blindman
    More like an enthusiastic enthusiast, usually on a shoestring budget.

With only 3 weeks to play with in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam a lot depends on how much travelling you're happy to do, and are you happy to travel overland between points.....too much travelling can mean too much precious time hanging round airports.

Travelling overland, particularly by train on fairly short journeys up to 5-6 hours or overnight is fun, it takes a bit longer, but you are moving along, seeing some of the countryside, and mixing with local people.

Trying to see more often simply means achieving less, and quickly losing enthusiam.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 02-06-2017 at 8:19 AM.
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 2nd Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bodders11
    Thanks all.

i think i am going to attempt to develop an itinerary for....(drum roll please): Thailand!!

With just over two weeks or so I think i can see Bangkok, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi(?) and possibly a national park (Khao Lak?) for an overnight stay.

I'll take a look at the respective forums and for the time-being will park the idea of Vietnam or Mexico.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 2nd Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I think you're wise sticking to one country for a short visit.

Have a look at an easy side-trip from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi [WWII, Bridge over the River Kwai, Hellfire Pass]. Here's an excellent link giving all the detail for getting there and back...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

That area is a beautiful part of Thailand, and very easy to do under your own steam by train. A couple or three nights will give you time to soak up the place without hurrying round.

Khao Lak isn't a national Park, it's a 25-30 km beach stretch along the Andaman Coast just north of Phuket. There are a lot of resort hotels along the way, with a couple of close together townships, Bang La On and Bang Niang. Although that area isn't as built up or as touristy as Phuket, it's catching up fast. The National Park in the area [I think] is Khao Sok, which is a bit to the north of Khao Lak. I'm not going to recommend Khao Lak as it's becoming too westernised and relatively expensive, but some people like that.
    • Everynamestaken
    • By Everynamestaken 3rd Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Everynamestaken
    Macchu picchu and plenty of places in Peru.

I'd love to go back to Argentina. Iguassu falls, Buenos Aires, and then go down to Patagonia.

I appreciate South America is expensive to get to, so Maybe 2/3 week in Vietnam. Start in Saigon and finish in Hanoi or the other way round.

If you choose Thailand, I would do Bangkok, Chiang Mai,Chiang Rai and some of Cambodia. Depends what you like. The South has excellent beaches.

The list is endless.
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 3rd Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    sandsy
    Is Cape Town really feasible based on my budget? Would love to do a safari.
    It's probably feasible if you're prepared to take connecting flights rather than fly direct. You can get return flights for £500 or so if you're happy to go non-direct. Once you're there, eating out is cheap and there's plenty of good wine and nightlife. There's plenty of Airbnb accommodation and Uber is well used for getting around, or the hopon-hopoff bus.

And if you're prepared to hire a car and drive yourself around a game reserve, then the safari element can also be done quite cheaply, eg. Pilanesberg park or Kruger national park.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 3rd Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 5,838 Thanks
    bigadaj
    It's probably feasible if you're prepared to take connecting flights rather than fly direct. You can get return flights for £500 or so if you're happy to go non-direct. Once you're there, eating out is cheap and there's plenty of good wine and nightlife. There's plenty of Airbnb accommodation and Uber is well used for getting around, or the hopon-hopoff bus.

And if you're prepared to hire a car and drive yourself around a game reserve, then the safari element can also be done quite cheaply, eg. Pilanesberg park or Kruger national park.
    Originally posted by sandsy
    Pilanesburg and Kruger?

How many thousand miles do you like driving on holiday?
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 4th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    sandsy
    Pilanesburg and Kruger?

How many thousand miles do you like driving on holiday?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Or, not and.
    And you fly to the game park then drive around it. Not so many miles
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 4th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 5,838 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Or, not and.
    And you fly to the game park then drive around it. Not so many miles
    Originally posted by sandsy
    On a very limited budget...
    • blindman
    • By blindman 4th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    blindman
    Thanks all.

i think i am going to attempt to develop an itinerary for....(drum roll please): Thailand!!

With just over two weeks or so I think i can see Bangkok, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi(?) and possibly a national park (Khao Lak?) for an overnight stay.

I'll take a look at the respective forums and for the time-being will park the idea of Vietnam or Mexico.
    On a very limited budget...
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    The Op has decided to do Thailand so arguments over any where else are pointless IMHO

Start a new thread about the merits of SA MSE-I'd be interested
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 4th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bodders11
    Thanks again one and all.

Everynamestaken - I do love the beach so I would imagine much of my trip will be in the south.

PompeyPete - thanks. I will take a look at that trip and see how it fits in to the few days/nights in Bangkok.
    • Everynamestaken
    • By Everynamestaken 4th Jun 17, 10:42 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Everynamestaken
    Ao nang, Krabi. Phuket. Plenty of Islands.

I enjoyed it. Feel free to Pm me hotels in certain locations etc.

It's very touristy and although I'm not really a beach person and it wouldn't be my first choice again, the South of Thailand is extremely nice.
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 9th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bodders11
    Thanks, Everynamestaken. I will take you up on that offer when I get to that point.

Currently working out must see's and do's to help draft the initial itinerary which is as follow:
    - Bangkok - 3 nights
    (Fly Bangkok to Surat Thani Airport)
    - Khao Sok National Park - minibus from airport and arrive noon(ish) - 1/2 nights depending on the tours I go for
    - Krabi - 3 nights
    - Phi Phi Island - 2 nights
    - Phuket - 5 nights
    - Fly Phuket to London via Bangkok

Thoughts on the above?

Does anyone have links to previous Thailand threads that may be beneficial?
    • blindman
    • By blindman 9th Jun 17, 12:54 PM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    blindman
    Thanks, Everynamestaken. I will take you up on that offer when I get to that point.

Currently working out must see's and do's to help draft the initial itinerary which is as follow:
    - Bangkok - 3 nights
    - Khao Sok National Park - minibus from airport and arrive noon(ish) - 1/2 nights depending on the tours I go for
    - Krabi - 3 nights
    - Phuket - 5 nights

Thoughts on the above?

HI

May be worth starting a new thread so answer are relevant to Thailand and it will be easier to find if someone is looking for "Thailand"

Just a thought

BTW
    Thailand thread

And another one

Last edited by blindman; 09-06-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 9th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    You'll more than likely be paying more for an open flight rather than a bog standard return. I really enjoyed the North where you can wash elephants and tpstuff, plus there's a few other nice places up there. My minds gone blank but it's well known
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone @12/2018. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 9th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 5,838 Thanks
    bigadaj

- Bangkok - 3 nights
    - Krabi - 3 nights
    - Phuket - 5 nights

Thoughts on the above?

Phi phi is horrendously built up, but is a nice setting.

Phuket is a big airport, if you fly with, for example, Qatar, etihad, Emirates etc then you may be able to fly into Bangkok and direct back from Phuket, obviously with a change of planes in Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter