Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 58,978Posts
    • 41,783Thanks
    soolin
    24 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim
    • 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    24 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim 28th May 17 at 9:47 AM
    OK it is the Daily Mail but it is quite interesting due to the number of newbies in the past asking about the cash for compo companies now spamming us promising money for past holidays where we may have been unwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548686/Hotel-sues-fake-holiday-bug-pair-170-000.html
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 5
    • Westin
    • By Westin 16th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    Westin
    The previous couple mentioned in post 74 were from Walton

Definitely no Liverpool jokes....
    • Westin
    • By Westin 16th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    Westin
    What I'd also like to see is action taken against these ambulance chasing 'legal professionals' that have in many cases created this situation.

I think they should be named and shamed as much as these terrible lying people who make these false claims. It would be nice to see the legal profession stand up and reprimand these legal firms and strike them off.

Details here as reported in the Liverpool media of the delightful first couple to get caught out last week.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/thomas-cook-declares-victory-against-13317492

I see that the Liverpool Echo report the solicitors involved as being Bridger & Co of Carmarthenshire. Strangely their website seems to now being 'under construction' - http://www.bridgersolicitors.com.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    bigadaj
    It's a bit like the tax dodges used by big firms. Hmrc have tightened up in soem schemes, but things have really changed when any fines or oenalties are also made in the advisers, accountants and lawyers, they aren't going to risk a dodgy scheme where they get paid £100k when they could be fined millions.

Similar approach to these holiday sickness scams would show them drying up pretty quickly.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Jul 17, 7:09 AM
    • 17,359 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What I'd also like to see is action taken against these ambulance chasing 'legal professionals' that have in many cases created this situation.

I think they should be named and shamed as much as these terrible lying people who make these false claims. It would be nice to see the legal profession stand up and reprimand these legal firms and strike them off.

Details here as reported in the Liverpool media of the delightful first couple to get caught out last week.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/thomas-cook-declares-victory-against-13317492

I see that the Liverpool Echo report the solicitors involved as being Bridger & Co of Carmarthenshire. Strangely their website seems to now being 'under construction' - http://www.bridgersolicitors.com.
    Originally posted by Westin
    I agree with this ^^^^.

• hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 17th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    http://www.bridgersolicitors.com.
    Originally posted by Westin
    Ah you mean companies like the one owned by the husband of Hazel Blears (Michael Halsall) who was a Labour MP and minister under the Labour Government of the time.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 31,513 Posts
    • 37,216 Thanks
    Browntoa
    and another

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/holidays/article-4708394/Holidaymaker-hit-25-000-bill-poisoning-claim.html

£25000 bill for lying....

scammers take note
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 17,359 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It just gets better and better, Browntoa.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 19th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    gardner1
    And it took her 2 years to put the claim in
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    • 31,513 Posts
    • 37,216 Thanks
    Browntoa
    and another

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dishonest-tourist-who-claimed-sick-10962396

In a damning conclusion, Judge Nadeem Khan said her evidence was "neither plausible or credible".
    He formally ruled her claim "fundamentally dishonest", allowing the tour operator to recover the money it had spent fighting her dodgy claim.
    Instead she was ordered to pay £2,812 within 21 days, and refused leave to appeal.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 10th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 8,623 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    and another

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dishonest-tourist-who-claimed-sick-10962396

In a damning conclusion, Judge Nadeem Khan said her evidence was "neither plausible or credible".
    He formally ruled her claim "fundamentally dishonest", allowing the tour operator to recover the money it had spent fighting her dodgy claim.
    Instead she was ordered to pay £2,812 within 21 days, and refused leave to appeal.
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I am very glad to read about these scumbags getting their comeuppance for their lies and greed. It does seem to be mostly ear-ringed men and those plastered with tramp-stamps - but, regardless of that, it's disgusting to try and commit frauds against TAs or decent hotels. I don't know how they've got the nerve - especially the fool who had posted dozens of pictures of himself on FB. Some people really are morally bankrupt.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    • 17,359 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I am very glad to read about these scumbags getting their comeuppance for their lies and greed.
    Originally posted by RuthnJasper
    Me too.
    Keep on bringing it on, Thomson & Thomas Cook et al.

Some people really are morally bankrupt.
    Originally posted by RuthnJasper
    Not to mention incredibly stupid to think that they wouldn't be caught out.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 10th Aug 17, 8:53 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Don't have any sympathy for the individuals involved but the law should be targeting the ambulance cashing lawyers. The plaintiffs are too stupid to realise what they are doing, fining the lawyers ten times the amount would sort this out pretty quickly.

That's the approach taken with aggressive tax avoidance schemes, albeit too late in the day, and has solved that issue.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Aug 17, 9:06 PM
    • 17,359 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Don't have any sympathy for the individuals involved but the law should be targeting the ambulance cashing lawyers. The plaintiffs are too stupid to realise what they are doing, fining the lawyers ten times the amount would sort this out pretty quickly.

That's the approach taken with aggressive tax avoidance schemes, albeit too late in the day, and has solved that issue.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Too stupid to know that they are lying?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 10th Aug 17, 11:08 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Too stupid to know that they are lying?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Yes, surely living in the north East Midlands you see this everyday, I certainly do in Nottingham and Leicester.

You've focused on the wrong part of the post, these people are too stupid to be able to bring a case themselves, it's the dodgy solicitors that are enabling this and should be punished equally hard.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Aug 17, 7:01 AM
    • 17,359 Posts
    • 44,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yes, surely living in the north East Midlands you see this everyday, I certainly do in Nottingham and Leicester.

You've focused on the wrong part of the post, these people are too stupid to be able to bring a case themselves, it's the dodgy solicitors that are enabling this and should be punished equally hard.
    I've focused on the article posted by browntoa.

Where - in that article - does it say that Miss McLean was represented by any solicitor - dodgy or otherwise?

The couple in the first link on page 1 did use a legal firm but wanted to pull out before it got to court.

These companies ^^^^ need stopping.

Very few people are too stupid to know that they are lying - which is what I said..
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 15th Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 8,623 Thanks
    RuthnJasper

I think they're equally to blame. I have had calls about past accidents/illnesses, etc. from similar firms and am quite capable of saying "no, thank you".

The dodgy solicitors are much to blame, but they require complicit "clients" in order to act.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,924Posts Today

7,590Users online

Martin's Twitter