Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 59,456Posts
    • 42,166Thanks
    soolin
    0 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim
    • 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim 28th May 17 at 9:47 AM
    OK it is the Daily Mail but it is quite interesting due to the number of newbies in the past asking about the cash for compo companies now spamming us promising money for past holidays where we may have been unwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548686/Hotel-sues-fake-holiday-bug-pair-170-000.html
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 4
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Maybe this will herald a new life-line for those small bars and restaurants that have been financially hit by AI hotels being built and ruining their trade.

In a resort we go to in Turkey - we stay B&B - there are 3 AI hotels within walking distance of the village.
    It was a busy resort when we first stayed there, before 2 of the AI hotels were built and the 3rd turned AI, but the last 2 times we went, the local bars and restaurants were pretty empty and even 2 shops closed whilst we were there.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I never eat in the hotel all the time even if AI , think my last holiday we ate out on 5 of the 13 days in the evening or lunchtime plus would often stop for a beer in the local bars rather than the hotel bar .

Like you say , maybe it will end up as a return to room and breakfast hotel stays like the old days which will boost the local bars
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 25th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Wait for the complaints to start rolling in. TC and TUI UK have been selling AI for next year for a couple of months. If the hoteliers want this to be affective they need to block Jet2Holidays guests as well. They currently carry nearly as many package holidays makers as TC do.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    and another idiot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4649154/Bodybuilder-caught-saying-food-poisoning.html

Bodybuilder who claimed compensation for 'food poisoning that left him bedridden' on a Turkish holiday was caught out by photos of him tucking into meals and drinking beer – that HE posted on Facebook

Roberts, 38, told The Sun he was willing to withdraw his claim for compensation
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    and another idiot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4649154/Bodybuilder-caught-saying-food-poisoning.html

Bodybuilder who claimed compensation for 'food poisoning that left him bedridden' on a Turkish holiday was caught out by photos of him tucking into meals and drinking beer – that HE posted on Facebook

Roberts, 38, told The Sun he was willing to withdraw his claim for compensation
    Originally posted by Browntoa

Just another typical brainless scumbag!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just another typical brainless scumbag!
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Absolutely!

Looking at the first photo in the article why has he got 2 plates of food in front of him?
    And why isn't he wearing a shirt?
    I'd like to know what hotel it was so I could avoid it if that's their acceptable dress code.

And 4 scoops of ice cream?

I hope he's been put on a blacklist.

He's just greedy - for food and money.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    makes me laugh as they are too stupid not to realise that "I'm ill in my room for the whole holiday " is easily shot down by their facebook pages .

hotel over there and tour operator here should start doing these people for fraud to send out a message.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 2nd Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I see the fightback is well and truly on , spanish police to prosecute anyone making a false claim

http://dailym.ai/2uyeKdb
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    From the article:
    This comes just weeks after a British man was arrested in Majorca and placed under formal investigation on suspicion of encouraging tourists to make false claims by targeting them outside hotels.

He (Nick Longman, head of TUI) said already 1,800 cases against his firms had been dropped by one law company, with others expected to follow suit.

• eamon
    • By eamon 3rd Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    eamon
    I've been on 3 AI holidays, all fab. I used to think it was really lazy thing to do but now that I'm older I go on holiday to relax and do not very much. AI ticks all those boxes. No need to traipse around the various bars/restaurants, alcohol on demand. Whats not to like? Perhaps I've been lucky and stayed in good places with adequate kitchen hygiene etc. I'd perhaps struggle with a fortnight especially when you know that the menu is on a rotation. Couldn't imagine claiming for damages without giving the TO & Hotel/Resort first refusal at getting me medical attention should it be required. I'm pleased that the authorities are taking a stand.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 4th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/282532/fight-fake-claims-tui-and-spanish-police-crack-down-on-bogus-sickness-claims

Fight Fake Claims: Tui and Spanish police crack down on bogus sickness claims

Holidaymakers who submitted false or exaggerated claims for food poisoning against hoteliers in Majorca during the last year can expect criminal action to be taken, Europe’s largest operator warned.

Criminal courts in Palma, Majorca are investigating claims brought by hundreds of UK holidaymakers in respect of dishonest or exaggerated illness they allege was caused by tour operators or hotels.

be nice to see a few arrested at the airport when they next arrive and held "on remand" for the duration of their planned holiday before being packed off home again after a large court fine . Follow it on with "refused entry" any other time they attempt to holiday in Spain
    Last edited by Browntoa; 04-07-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    • f4phixeruk
    • By f4phixeruk 4th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    f4phixeruk
    Only time SWMBO has had food poisoning, was when we went self catering in Alcudia. Last night we didnt fancy cooking so got a pizza from a well known chain. Sick all the way home on the plane. Didnt bother suing or anything. Been AI and half board no problem.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/08/major-crackdown-fake-holiday-sickness-claims-announced/
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    A victory in court for Thomas Cook

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/283209/thomas-cook-defends-sickness-claim-in-significant-case
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    £3744 costs for that dishonest family to pay.

I bet they wish they'd never heard of claiming compensation for 'illness' on holiday.

It's cheered up a miserable, wet Tuesday evening.

I wonder how Mr & Mrs Bondarenko are going on with their claim.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 11th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    stoneman
    Hahaha. My first thought on seeing the knuckle dragger in the first photo was "why is he not wearing a shirt." Restaurants need to stomp down on that. Put a shirt on, I don't want to see your sweaty armpits at the table.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 31,863 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    And another

First family to be charged over 'fake' holiday bug

http://dailym.ai/2umzzfe

£52000

They've already had they claim rejected , court now looking at the fraud
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yay!
    Bring it on, Thomas Cook (and all the other TOs follow suit).

Love the photo in the article.
    Mr Roberts is definitely saying:
    "FGS, I told you that lying about being ill was a bad idea. Now look what mess you've got us into".
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

I so love this! They deserve everything they get, and personally I hope it results in a custodial sentence. It will serve to send a really strong message to other potential lying, cheating scumbags.

Harsh? You bet
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 16th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    And another

First family to be charged over 'fake' holiday bug

http://dailym.ai/2umzzfe

£52000

They've already had they claim rejected , court now looking at the fraud
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    No Liverpool jokes please

They deserve all they get
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter