Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 58,861Posts
    • 41,693Thanks
    soolin
    0 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim
    • 28th May 17, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Hotel counter suing for false sickness claim 28th May 17 at 9:47 AM
    OK it is the Daily Mail but it is quite interesting due to the number of newbies in the past asking about the cash for compo companies now spamming us promising money for past holidays where we may have been unwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548686/Hotel-sues-fake-holiday-bug-pair-170-000.html
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 2
    • dawsinho
    • By dawsinho 30th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    dawsinho
    Well done to the hotel, don't get me wrong... if the hotel is genuinely in the wrong not a problem.

Imagine building a great reputation and for it to be ruined by a false claim!

D
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 30th May 17, 10:35 PM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 10,960 Thanks
    hollydays
    Opes law limited is connected to the liquidated Walter Barr solicitors

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/practice/firms-referred-over-sonae-group-litigation/5050447.article

"Woolvine confirmed on oath that he had not signed or completed the submitted statement of truth. Jay concluded that ‘Walter Barr, or their agents, have forged Mr Woolvine’s signature’.

The judge added: ‘This is a serious matter, and I direct that a copy of his judgment be sent to the SRA for investigation of this issue.’

Gill Walker, a partner at the firm, told the Liverpool Echo there were ‘no foundations’ for the allegation."

They seem to have a history of trying to get negative comments removed from the net
    Last edited by hollydays; 30-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 31st May 17, 6:41 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    Good luck to the hotel, I hope it follows through with this and sets an example.

At the minute I receive at least one call a week from shysters trying to get me to sue someone. I ask them politely to remove my name from their calling lists and if they call back I am usually verbally abusive to the bottom feeder at the other end of the phone.

Ultimately the only person these fraudulent claims hurt is the honest customer.
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I'd bet they'll be (rightly) blackballed by the British overseas holiday operators - no more package holidays for you wiseguys !!!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Seems hotels ARE changing their AI system , logging ALL drink and food consumed by guest's and storing it . Will be produced if claims are made to prove you weren't ill as claimed as you ate 3 full meals and drank copious amounts of booze on the days concerned
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3725708/spanish-hotels-launch-new-campaign-to-prosecute-brits-who-fake-food-poisoning-on-all-inclusive-breaks/

The assocation is also encouraging hotels to closely monitor when and what guests are eating, so that they can prove the claimant was in the dining room when they said they were ill.
    Hotels will take more proactive measures to prosecute anyone involved in a fraudulent claim too, including the small-claims management companies who target tourists both in the resorts and once they have returned home.

https://www.claimsaction.co.uk/uk-tour-operators-barred-bogus-holiday-illness-claims-soar/

Hotel Groups Fighting Back

The Benidorm, Costa Blanca and Valencia Region Hotel Association have been very proactive in trying to protect members. As a consequence a number of all-inclusive hotels in these areas now issue customers with electronic wristbands which they swipe as and when they order food and drink. This allows the hotel to not only monitor their food and drink intake but also monitor where they are at any specific moment within the hotel complex. As Nuria Montes, the general secretary of Hosbec (hoteliers association of Benidorm and Costa Blanca) commented:-
    “We have a much better chance of proving we’re dealing with a fraudulent claim if someone has drunk 27 beers and 14 gin and tonics and hasn’t been confined ill to their room.”
    It is very disappointing that hotel groups have to put such systems in place to protect themselves from bogus personal injury claims. Inadvertently, this could strengthen the case of those who have legitimate claims against hotel groups because there is a track record of what they have drunk, what they have eaten and where they have been. Indeed, using these wristbands it is even possible to tell whether a customer has been confined to their room
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 16,979 Posts
    • 42,779 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Browntoa
    From your link to The Sun:
    New rules would require anyone submitting a food poisoning claim to also provide medical evidence, which until now has not been necessary.
    I'm absolutely gob-smacked about this ^^^^.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 5,973 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Browntoa

Originally posted by Pollycat
    Presumably the threat of legal action and associated lawyers costs meant that initially it was cheaper to settle upfront for a few hundred or thousand pounds/ euros. Similar to cash for crash car accident claims and council paying out on pavements, potholes etc

The consequence though is an opening of the flood gates as has been found. Sadly seems to demonstrate the British are some of the least honest people in the world.
    Last edited by bigadaj; 16-06-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Browntoa

A receipt from a chemist showing medicine for an upset stomach had been purchased is all that's been needed.

It's a complete joke. Just because you go AI doesn't mean you don't eat or drink anything outside your hotel. Ok, in the case of a lot of the Brits it probably does. As I've heard so many times 'I'm not paying for a drink. It's all free back there'. I've even heard parents telling their kids they can't have an ice cream until the get back because it's free.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 5,973 Thanks
    bigadaj
    A receipt from a chemist showing medicine for an upset stomach had been purchased is all that's been needed.

It's a complete joke. Just because you go AI doesn't mean you don't eat or drink anything outside your hotel. Ok, in the case of a lot of the Brits it probably does. As I've heard so many times 'I'm not paying for a drink. It's all free back there'. I've even heard parents telling their kids they can't have an ice cream until the get back because it's free.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Well benidorm is a documentary after all.

Personally, and given the site were on, I don't see a lot wrong with the second quote, or arguably the first either.

Being tight is very different to being dishonest after all.
    Last edited by bigadaj; 16-06-2017 at 7:11 PM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    and the hotels strike back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4615006/Brits-ordered-109-drinks-NINE-DAYS-sue-Jet2Holidays.html

British tourists who tried to claim compensation for food poisoning at their Gran Canaria hotel had actually binged on 109 drinks in NINE DAYS

• The unnamed Liverpool pair attempted to sue the hotel and tour company
    The law firm claims the couple both suffered 'stomach cramps and severe diarrhea', and both were 'bed-ridden during an acute period of illness'.
    The symptoms allegedly came on from the second day of the holiday. The claim alleges that the illness 'spoiled the rest of the holiday'.
    In the course of investigating the claim with the hotelier, it has come to light that their records show the customers continued to enjoy a range of alcoholic drinks throughout the time of their illness

The night of the alleged onset of the illness, at least six shots of spirits and mixers were consumed, while the night after the onset of the illness, more cocktails and spirits were consumed.
    Alcohol continued to be enjoyed throughout the rest of the holiday
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    should be like any other insurance , you lie about illness on holiday and get done then the Travel Insurance companies are allowed to either refuse to insure you or heavily load you.

happens with Car or home insurance
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th Jun 17, 1:21 AM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I'm surprised holiday companies do anything about it if it's a tummy bug. Years ago we went to Tunisia and nan fell really ill with what turned out to be dysentery. Thomsons both in resort and on writing to them afterwards werent helpful at all and tried to say it was anything else but the hotel.
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 8lb lost 69lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 20th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Years ago there weren't the no win no fee dodgy claims companies telling people making a claim is easier than booking a holiday. In recent years this has become an epidemic even though the number of people reporting that they are ill on holiday has fallen. Many operators thought it easier to pay up to make the claim go away than defend the claim at a cost of tens of thousands of pounds but have discovered that that idea only encourages more people to do so.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    and TUI strikes back

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3788318/brits-who-make-false-sick-bug-claims-face-a-holiday-ban-as-tui-blacklists-tourists-it-suspects-of-making-bogus-bids/

BRITISH holidaymakers who make false sickness claims face never being able to book a holiday with a tour operator again.
    Travel giant TUI is starting to blacklist tourists it suspects of making bogus compensation bids.

Other operators like Thomas Cook and Jet2 are also set to join TUI – which owns First Choice and Thomsons.
    The firms could soon start to share their banned list of customers to protect themselves from future claims – leaving excluded tourists struggling to book a break
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 4,924 Posts
    • 3,962 Thanks
    blindman
    and TUI strikes back

Other operators like Thomas Cook and Jet2 are also set to join TUI – which owns First Choice and Thomsons.
    The firms could soon start to share their banned list of customers to protect themselves from future claims – leaving excluded tourists struggling to book a break
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    So it's impossible to book a break with using a TA

Get real.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 16,979 Posts
    • 42,779 Thanks
    Pollycat

Get real.
    Originally posted by blindman
    I think you'll find that the bit of Browntoa's post you quoted was a direct quote from the article in The Sun.

So maybe it's that newspaper that needs to 'get real'.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,041 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I'm assuming the problem seems to be largely with customers using packaged AI with the major companies .
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 20th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

Get real.
    Originally posted by blindman
    It's got nothing to do with TAs. The claims are only applicable to AI holidays, the vast majority of which are still booked via a tour operator. It's these guests that the low life companies are targeting with the sales patter and encouragement to make fraudulent claims.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4,924 Posts
    • 3,962 Thanks
    blindman
    I think you'll find that the bit of Browntoa's post you quoted was a direct quote from the article in The Sun.

So maybe it's that newspaper that needs to 'get real'.
    Wasn't meant to be aimed at Browntoa-

Apologise if it came out that way

Scaremongering statements by TAs\TO's
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,151Posts Today

7,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin