Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deborah47
    • By Deborah47 27th May 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Deborah47
    PPI on Halifax Mortgage
    • 27th May 17, 11:04 AM
    PPI on Halifax Mortgage 27th May 17 at 11:04 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I've had PPI on my Mortgage since 2001 which I am still paying. I decided to see if I was mis-sold PPI and placed my complaint through Resolver on 15/04/17 Last night at 1930pm, I received a phone call from the Halifax basically asking me some brief questions. I honestly couldn't remember most of the questins they were asking me due to it being over 16 years ago when I took my mortgage out. I did keep repeating that I had always been employed full-time by a company where I have always been covered for sickness/unemployment/death etc, and did not know why I would of needed PPI? They asked me for my bank details, and although a bit worried about giving this information, I did. Does this sound like I will be successful with my claim and was I right to give my bank details over the phone?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 27th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 89,882 Posts
    • 56,561 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 27th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 27th May 17, 11:29 AM
    Does this sound like I will be successful with my claim and was I right to give my bank details over the phone?
    Asking for details for payment is normal. It doesn't mean you have been successful. The details will now be passed to an assessor and a decision made from there. Whilst most MPPI complaints fail and most distribution channels are more likely to reject MPPI (things like 12 months sick pay dont matter like they do with loan PPPI for example), Halifax are a very soft touch and tend to refund the PPI element of their TMPP policy (they dont refund the life assurance, income protection or CIC elements if you have those as they are not PPI).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • simonwilk
    • By simonwilk 22nd Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simonwilk
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    I have the same issue... 15 years ago I took out a Halifax mortgage through a broker, I was advised to take a Scottish Equitable life insurance with the mortgage and a Friends Provident income protection insurance which i am still paying now, are either of these classed as PPI? If so who do I make a claim against, Halifax? or the Broker? Thanks. S
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 89,882 Posts
    • 56,561 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    are either of these classed as PPI?
    No. Just as your car insurance is not PPI and your house insurance is not PPI. PPI is PPI.

If so who do I make a claim against, Halifax? or the Broker? Thanks. S
    1 - you don't have it
    2 - it is pre-regulation. So, no liability exists for the complaint
    3 - You dont appear to have a complaint reason anyway.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    I I was advised to take a Scottish Equitable life insurance with the mortgage and a Friends Provident income protection insurance which i am still paying
    Originally posted by simonwilk
    On what basis would you complain that these policies were somehow mis-sold?
    • simonwilk
    • By simonwilk 26th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simonwilk
    • 26th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 26th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    We were advised to take these policies alongside the mortgage... I wasn't sure whether this type of insurance was ppi.... apparently not! Thanks
    • Suzy11
    • By Suzy11 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suzy11
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    I too had the same phone call 2 weeks ago and then a text message saying they were nearing the end of their investigation, I have heard nothing since I’m just over 2 weeks, was wondering if no news is good news, my mortgage goes back to 1998 and ran for 6 years
    • Suzy11
    • By Suzy11 29th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suzy11
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    Sorry new to this forum thingy, this was reply to Deborah47
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    Sorry new to this forum thingy, this was reply to Deborah47
    Originally posted by Suzy11
    Deborah47 last logged in at the end of May. She has not returned to update the thread with the result of her complaint.
    • Suzy11
    • By Suzy11 3rd Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suzy11
    Halifax mortgage ppi
    Hi Moneyineptitude, I had a phone call 4 Weeks ago from Halifax asking me all sorts of questions and they asked me for my Bank Details so, if I was successful they could pay the refund directly into my Bank Account. I had a text a few days later saying they were nearing the end of their investigation, that was 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing. Is no news good news do you think?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,173 Thanks
    zx81
    No. No news is no news.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have heard nothing. Is no news good news do you think?
    Originally posted by Suzy11
    They have eight weeks from initial acknowledgement of your complaint to give a full and final response. If this time has passed either contact the Bank and ask what the hold up is or refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Nothing you have said gives cause for optimism or pessimism about the eventual result of your complaint.
    • Suzy11
    • By Suzy11 3rd Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suzy11
    Thank you I will just let it ride and hope it goes in my favour x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter