Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slick490
    • By slick490 26th May 17, 12:35 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    slick490
    How to go about this claim form
    • 26th May 17, 12:35 PM
    How to go about this claim form 26th May 17 at 12:35 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice about a claim form that has been sent to me. I am completely baffled by this letter and I have no idea as to how I should go about dealing with this. The letters have been escalating as time has passed and I have ignored it to the stage where the claimant, Parking Control Management, have used the solicitors Gladstones to send additional charges. The county court business center is listed at the top of the page with a claim number and issue date of when the letter had been sent. I write to you in urgency as there is interest on my current charges at 8%pa with the total amount set at £239.
    I would like to add that I received a paper ticket on my windscreen in a private residential area (Salisbury village in 2016) and I am not the keeper of the vehicle although it is addressed to the keeper.

I am not sure if it is a court hearing. I've received four pages with one of the pages asking me to log into moneyclaim.gov .uk to respond to the claim... I am worried that if I log in I have given acknowledgement to my parking error and they will be able to take me to court... The other three pages are a "response pack" with the headings titled "acknowledgement of service", "Admission (specified amount)" & "defence and counterclaim (specified amount)".

I've always gone under the assumption of if I ignore the letters nothing would come about on my head but reading the newbies forum I see now that this is not the case

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me because I'd be completely lost (and scared) if I ended up in court...

Thank you guys!!
    Last edited by slick490; 19-06-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 26th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 13,107 Posts
    • 20,423 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 26th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 26th May 17, 12:40 PM
    What you have to do now is detailed in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 26th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 14,398 Posts
    • 17,955 Thanks
    Redx
    • 26th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 26th May 17, 2:33 PM
    IGNORE has not been correct since october 2012 , due to POFA2012

the ability to pay (or not) is irrelevant , read the BARGEPOLE post about useless defences

same applies to not receiving letters , all the claimant has to do is prove they posted them (like a free certificate of posting) , plus they may need to prove they had the correct address

this is already a live court case, they filed the fee with MCOL and so you (or the ACTUAL KEEPER) have the MCOL papers , so acknowledge online to gain an extra 14 days to defend it

you (or more likely the keeper) need to draft a defence for this live court claim , so read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread and get a shift on, the clock is already ticking , so tempus fugit

the person named on the MCOL needs to defend this , although other people may be able to do so on their behalf, but the KEEPER is being taken to court , make no mistake

so YOU did not receive this court claim, the keeper (the person named on the papers) received this court claim, its nothing to do with YOU if I am correct in what I read in post #1 (that YOU are not the keeper)
    Last edited by Redx; 26-05-2017 at 6:25 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • slick490
    • By slick490 26th May 17, 6:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    slick490
    • 26th May 17, 6:08 PM
    • 26th May 17, 6:08 PM
    Thank you for your helpful response. I will follow the NEWBIES thread and keep everyone updated. I will appreciate any further helpful responses!
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 26th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Lamilad
    • 26th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 26th May 17, 10:00 PM
    Once you've read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread, and read it again (there's a lot to take in), use the search function to search terms such as 'Gladstones defence' or parking control management' etc. This will bring up other similar threads.

Use the info to build your own defence and post your draft here for review.

The keeper must acknowledge the claim first on the MCOL website.
    • slick490
    • By slick490 28th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    slick490
    • 28th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 28th May 17, 6:20 PM
    Hi,

So I've finished my acknowledgement of service and I am unsure of what I should do next. I've used the robo..bmpa link to create a defence (I think) and it states as follows:

"IN THE COUNTY COURT
    BETWEEN :
    AND
    Parking Control Management
    NAME NAME
    DEFENCE
    CLAIM NO. D7GF9H78
    Claimant
    Defendant
    Introduction
    1. I am NAME NAME, the defendant in this matter. My address for service is ADDRESS ADDRESS
    2. This is my statement of truth and my defence.
    3. As an unrepresented litigant-in-person I seek the Court's permission to amend and supplement this defence as may be required upon disclosure of the claimant's case.
    4. For the avoidance of doubt on the relevant date I was the registered keeper of a CAR, registered number REGISTRATION REGISTRATION.
    5. It is believed that it will be a matter of common ground that the purported debt arose as the result of the issue of a parking charge notice in relation to an alleged breach of the terms and conditions by the driver of the above vehicle when it was parked at Salisbury Village on 16/12/2016.
    Purported Basis of Claim
    6. Further based upon the scant and deficient details contained in the Particulars of Claim and correspondence, it appears to be the claimant's case that:
    a. There was a contract formed by the defendant and the claimant on 16/12/2016. b. There was an agreement to pay a sum or parking charge
    c. That there were Terms and Conditions prominently displayed around the site

d. That in addition to the Parking charge there was an agreement to pay additional and unspecified additional sums.
    e. The claimant company fully complied with their obligations within the terms of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
    f. The claimant company fully complied with their obligations within the International Parking Community Code of Practice of which they were member at the time.
    g. Further that the defendant has not paid the alleged debt.
    Rebuttal of Claim
    7. It is denied that:
    a. A contract was formed
    b. There was an agreement to pay a parking charge.
    c. That there were Terms and Conditions prominently displayed around the site.
    d. That in addition to the Parking charge there was an agreement to pay additional and unspecified additional sums.
    e. The claimant company fully complied with their obligations within the terms of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
    f. The claimant company fully complied with their obligations within the International Parking Community Code of Practice of which they were member at the time.
    g. That I am liable for the purported debt.
    8. It is further denied that I owe any debt to the claimant or that any debt is in fact owed or that any debt exists or could ever exist or has ever existed. That in any event the claimant has failed to comply with the requirements of the Civil Procedure Rules and that their claim is both unfounded and vexatious.
    9. The claimant is put to the strictest proof of their assertions.
    My Defence
    10. My defence will rely principally upon the following points:
    11. That the signs erected on site are incapable of forming the basis of a contract and indeed make it clear that that is not the case. Further it is trite law that a term that is forbidding cannot also constitute an offer. It is therefore denied that any contract was formed or was capable of being formed.

12. Should the claimant rely on the case of ParkingEye v Beavis, I wish to point out that there is a test of good faith.
    Para 205: “The requirement of good faith in this context is one of fair and open dealing. Openness requires that the terms should be expressed fully, clearly and legibly, containing no concealed pitfalls or traps. Appropriate prominence should be given to terms which might operate disadvantageously to the customer.”
    13. Underlining that is Section B.2.1, B.2.2 of the IPC Code of Practice which gives clear instructions as to the placing, visibility and clarity of any signs that are used to form contracts. It says:
    2.1 Where the basis of your parking charges is based in the law of contract it will usually be by way of the driver of a vehicle agreeing to contractual terms identified by signage in and around a controlled zone. It is therefore of fundamental importance that the signage meets the minimum standards under The Code as this underpins the validity of any such charge. Similarly, where charges are founded in the law of trespass and form liquidated damages, these too must be communicated to drivers in the same way.
    2.2 Signs must conform to the requirements as set out in a schedule 1 to the Code
    14. The defendant refutes that there were clear and visible signs, with Terms that formed the basis of a contact and which met the specifications above.
    15. Section B.1.1 of the IPC Code of Practice outlines to operators:
    1.1 If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the “Creditor” within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges. There is no prescribed form for such agreement and it need not necessarily be as part of a contract but it must include the express ability for an operator to recover parking charges on the landowner's behalf or provide sufficient right to occupy the land in question so that charges can be recovered by the operator directly. This applies whether or not you intend to use the keeper liability provisions.
    The Claimant is put to strict proof they have such authority to operate on site and to take action in their own name. The same is a requirement of any contract based on conduct.
    16. If in the alternative it is the claimant's case that his claim is founded in trespass (which is in any event denied) then in a car park setting any damages in trespass can only be assessed based on a calculation of the proportion of income lost based on the time of the alleged occupation. Any sum sought could therefore only be minimal and de-minimis.
    17. That the amount demanded is therefore excessive and unconscionable and especially so when compared to the level of Penalty Charge Notice issued by the local Council which is set at £50 or £25 if paid within 14 days.
    18. In the alternative, the attention of the court is drawn to para. 4(5) Schedule 4 Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 which sets out that the maximum amount recoverable from the registered keeper, where the keeper liability provisions have been properly invoked (which is expressly denied in this