Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 26th May 17, 7:30 AM
    • 376Posts
    • 333Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Who to have as PoA??
    • 26th May 17, 7:30 AM
    Who to have as PoA?? 26th May 17 at 7:30 AM
    Hi all

We have no children, we do have siblings, but they are of the 'same generation' as are our friends. We're not really 'that' close with our friends.

Our nieces and nephews (is there a collective name for these??) are all still under 18, and as yet we obviously don't know if they are going to turn into mature, trustworthy adults!!

It's widely advised that you should only appoint someone of a younger generation for PoA, to avoid having to re-do them as we age I guess, but who??

Currently we know no-one under 30, never-mind someone who we are close enough to, to ask to be ours.

What have you done in our position?
    What do you advise? Wait until the N/N's are older?? (we're only 45-55 bracket)

We know we should get sorted....but it's a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

**** Another Question ****
    If one has been making a regular cash gift of £££ each month for say over 3 years....is a PoA still able to carry on making these payments, even if the PoA themselves are the recipient??? Would they have had to get written permission from the Donor (before they lose competance) that they wish these payments to continue.

Also if these payment have been ongoing for a while, and then the question arises for the need for Care, would they be considered Dep of Assets going forwards, if they continue to make these gifts??

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Sea Shell; 07-06-2017 at 6:50 AM.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Page 2
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 14th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    Kynthia
    With many companies you can arrange for a second person to be allowed to deal on your behalf. For example I tried to pay an insurance premium recently but was told I couldn't because of the data protection act (rubbish as I was giving them the information they didn't need tell me anything) and had to speak to the account holder. They did and then realised why I was dealing and paying. I have POA so could have set it up that way but I simply asked if I could be given authority to deal. Not a problem - my name is now on their records though I will probably have to tell them to look each renewal date. I've done similar with mobile phones, landlines and gas & electric bills each time just needing the account holder to confirm I can deal on their behalf. Obviously we've been asked security questions and they have my proof of id via the credit card payments but it's much easier than sending the POA off to them.
    This works well for paying utility bills etc. but obviously banking needs POA
    Originally posted by Blue Max
    Will that all still be the case if the account holder loses capacity though? It also doesn't allow you to open new accounts in someone's name once they have lost capacity and you are trying to organise things, save them money, or arrange for new things they need.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

941Posts Today

7,185Users online

Martin's Twitter