Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • u03ekw
    • By u03ekw 25th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 7Thanks
    u03ekw
    How to calculate net gain from tax deduction
    • 25th May 17, 9:43 PM
    How to calculate net gain from tax deduction 25th May 17 at 9:43 PM
    Hi! I'm a higher rate taxpayer, and have some tax deductible expenses. Not sure how to calculate net gain from tax deduction though -

Let's say I have something that costs £100 that is tax deductible. This means that I don't pay tax on that amount. Is it correct to say that that will mean a nett gain of £40 because 40% would otherwise have been taxed? Or would you take the average of what you're taxed?

I'm confused...
Page 1
    • Dal Whinnie
    • By Dal Whinnie 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Dal Whinnie
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    Are you an employee or self employed? If self employed then you are basically taxed on your profit (income less allowable expenses) so if you pay £100 out on an allowable expense then your profit will be reduced by £100 so you will pay £40 less tax but your net profit will be £60 less than it would have been if you had not incurred the expense. If you pay out £100 on a non allowable expense (e.g. entertaining) then your profit and tax liability are unchanged so your net profit will be £100 less.

If you are an employee and you have had to pay out £100 on expenses then the same really applies. If it is deductible then your net pay will effectively be reduced by £60. If it is not deductible then your net pay will be reduced by £100

Are you still confused?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin