Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 25th May 17, 5:17 PM
    • 2,276Posts
    • 252Thanks
    britishboy
    Stopping flies coming in bifold doors
    • 25th May 17, 5:17 PM
    Stopping flies coming in bifold doors 25th May 17 at 5:17 PM
    What ways do you stop flies coming into your home when you have the doors open? We've just fitted bifolds and within minutes of opening them, the room is full of flies, its driving us mad already!

Wasnt sure if there's any tricks to keep them out or away? (other than closing the doors)
Page 1
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 11,641 Thanks
    edwink
    • 25th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 25th May 17, 5:25 PM
    I was told years ago to have a pot of growing mint outside the door as the flies don't like the smell of it. I always have a pot outside my doors now and we rarely get flies coming in so I guess it does work.

Hope that helps

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 14 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 25th May 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 25th May 17, 5:27 PM
    • 25th May 17, 5:27 PM
    I would like to add that it might depend on the type of mint. We had loads in our old garden, and flies loved nothing more.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 25th May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 7,381 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 25th May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 25th May 17, 5:51 PM
    Some form of mesh or chain screen.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • London50
    • By London50 25th May 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    London50
    • 25th May 17, 5:55 PM
    • 25th May 17, 5:55 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flyscreen-Queen-Magnetic-Patio-White/dp/B01CC1EN1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495731301&sr=8-1&keywords=fly+screen+curtain+for+Bi+fold+doors
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 25th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 25th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 25th May 17, 6:18 PM
    I'd be trying to find what it is inside that's attracting them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 25th May 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 25th May 17, 7:01 PM
    • 25th May 17, 7:01 PM
    You can't stop flies coming in, they are stupid. I spent time last night (I know - get a life) watching a fly. It came in the open patio door, then spent 10 minutes trying to get through the glass of the other patio door, gave that up as a bad job, flew past the open door and tried to get out of the glass of the window!!! Eventually I gave it the newspaper to read.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 25th May 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 5,446 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 25th May 17, 7:09 PM
    • 25th May 17, 7:09 PM
    I was told years ago to have a pot of growing mint outside the door as the flies don't like the smell of it. I always have a pot outside my doors now and we rarely get flies coming in so I guess it does work.

Hope that helps

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    I seem to remember that it was Basil that keeps flies away, the plant not Fawlty (though he may work as well)
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 25th May 17, 7:10 PM
    • 59,647 Posts
    • 348,552 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 25th May 17, 7:10 PM
    • 25th May 17, 7:10 PM
    Isn't that what you wanted ?

"... bring the outdoors indoors ...."

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 25th May 17, 9:21 PM
    • 7,381 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I'd be trying to find what it is inside that's attracting them.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Earlier today it was my lunchtime sausage roll.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 26th May 17, 5:17 AM
    • 29,497 Posts
    • 17,632 Thanks
    getmore4less
    There may also be things in the garden that attract flies we suffer from cat poo problems so have more around the garden at times and some get in the house.

if a proper extra screen door or less elegant screen solution defeats the object of the doors then nn insect Zapper can help especially if you trap things inside when you close the doors.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th May 17, 7:59 AM
    • 22,932 Posts
    • 88,096 Thanks
    Davesnave
    This is why I laugh when I see all the glossy ads for these doors, which imply that we don't have any insects in this country. It's even funnier when the setting is beside a pond, or trees.

Luckily, the ads are wrong, or we'd soon starve.

Those living in the countryside know that it's around the end of May when insect numbers really start to increase exponentially. Until then, there aren't many flies, which is why the swallows and house martins don't arrive earlier in large numbers. At this point, we also have to look out for things like horse flies too, so covering up bare arms and slapping on the Deet becomes wise.

As to remedies; well, there's the chain curtains that work well on narrow doors, and I suppose a series of them will work on bi-folds, but they won't give you the look in the ads or improve the view.

The other thing that helps is an escape route, so if your garden room comes with roof lights, that will help. We put them in our conservatory, because although they're a pain in some respects, they give good air flow and insects always go upwards in their attempts to get out, so most do exit that way.....eventually.

Otherwise, it's down to one of those ultra-violet, insect zappers, permanently wired-in.

Oh, and mint is one of the best insect-attracting plants when it flowers. Crushed mint rubbed over the face & neck and behind the ears is acts as a repellant for most species, like midges.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • SisterAnna
    • By SisterAnna 12th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    SisterAnna
    Originally posted by edwink

I've got a bucket of mint outside my back door too and I honestly think it does help. I was under the impression that it was any type of mint that flies don't like the smell of but I maybe wrong.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 4,503 Thanks
    another casualty
    Citronella?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 22,932 Posts
    • 88,096 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Citronella, probably used as an oil in this country, is a good repellant, as are mint leaves, bay leaves, lavender and basil, apparently. Tansy is easy to grow, but like mint, it will attract insects when it flowers.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • redlady_1
    • By redlady_1 14th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    redlady_1
    We also have this problem. I just have a sticky insect attracting thing on top of the doors (its a glass gable end) and the plug in zappy thing for night time. Every morning I vacuum the flies up. I just consider its the price to pay for living in the country.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 14th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 7,033 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I just consider its the price to pay for living in the country.
    Originally posted by redlady_1
    we have flies in towns as well you know ;-)
    my house is full of them when we have the doors open
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 17, 12:20 PM
    • 22,932 Posts
    • 88,096 Thanks
    Davesnave
    we have flies in towns as well you know ;-)
    my house is full of them when we have the doors open
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    I'm sure there are plenty of places in town where they can breed.

But I've only ever had cluster flies in the country. Now, when it comes to sheer quantity, they take some beating!
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 14th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    tonyh66
    I'm sure there are plenty of places in town where they can breed.

But I've only ever had cluster flies in the country. Now, when it comes to sheer quantity, they take some beating!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    never had the full on cluster fly experience, but 2 to 3 flies per day in the attic room made me seal every nook I could find its not so bad now, only 1 every couple of days.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Close the door maybe?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter