Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmasam12
    • By Emmasam12 25th May 17, 4:47 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Emmasam12
    Starting up a business and importing from china
    • 25th May 17, 4:47 PM
    Starting up a business and importing from china 25th May 17 at 4:47 PM
    Sorry if this is posted wrong area couldn't find where to ask.
    I'm trying set up a online business I have found what I want buy to sell on and have been told the products are EU standard. I don't understand the extra charges when importanting like the VAT duty and handling charge. I can't find much online about this so if I'm buying clothes from China what charges will there be and will it be the a lot. And do I need do anything extra when getting my stock
    Thank you
Page 1
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    I assume that you want to buy unbranded products. If you want to increase the value of your products and let them stand out, you could brand them yourself. Your own branding will add value to the product.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 31,867 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    Downside , if you can import for a price then so can your competition

Your margins may vanish overnight
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    Downside , if you can import for a price then so can your competition

Your margins may vanish overnight
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I understand what you mean. Many eBay and Amazon sellers sell the products with the same generic brand name and package. It might be hard to compete with them as they have been in the game for a long period. Possibly they even have cheaper suppliers than those a beginner will find. The beginner is likely to end up with a supplier that is a middleman, which will make the unit price more expensive. But there's always the option to brand the product yourself and give it a nice package. This will make it stand out from the competitors.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 31,867 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    Unless it's a known brand I will always chose the cheapest option on eBay

Volume sellers will always get a better price

You need to be first to the market with something
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

4,297Users online

Martin's Twitter