Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 25th May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 8,264Posts
    • 20,319Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    0 WOW
    Tesco is trialling getting rid of 5p plastic bags
    • 25th May 17, 12:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Tesco is trialling getting rid of 5p plastic bags 25th May 17 at 12:02 PM
    Hi all

Tesco is trialling removing 5p plastic bags from its stores (it will still be selling its 10p bags for life). The trial will be in just three stores for now - Aberdeen, Dundee and Norwich - and will last 10 weeks.

What do you think? It's 18 months or so since the plastic bag charge came in. Have you got used to bringing your bags for life in anyway and not needed a plastic bag for a while? Or are they useful eg for bagging frozen food or double-bagging something heavy? Do you live near one of the stores? Have you heard someone complain?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 41,586 Thanks
    soolin
    About 3 years ago I bought about a dozen of this sort of bag http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Pouch-vegetables-Storage-Reusable-Shopping-Portable-Shoulder-Handbag-/272579382362?hash=item3f76ff4c5a:g:Q0YAAOSwol5YvVC T

From China really cheaply and still have about 6 of them left. none of them have ever broken but I lost a few by guests or family picking one up to take something home in and not bringing it back.

They are not massively big (despite the misleading photo) but for just a few bits and pieces they are ideal and I keep at least one in my handbag. For larger shops I use heavy jute bags.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 6,622 Posts
    • 12,115 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    When I was at University in the early 1970s free mass produced carriers did not exist. The supermarkets gave out large, strong paper bags which were environmentally friendly and could be burned if you had an open fire. I, for one, would love to see a return of tbese
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Primark use paper bags. They are useless when it rains as I bought a couple of tops that day and the bag fell apart. This was before the bag charge. So I went into the nearest shop where the assistant gave me a carrier bag.

Also seen people throwing all their other shopping in them too and bag rips due the weight.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 18th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    prosaver
    the 5p bags money goes to charity.
    Does the bag for life moneys go in the supermarkets pocket.?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 18th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 7,416 Thanks
    JCS1
    the 5p bags money goes to charity.
    Does the bag for life moneys go in the supermarkets pocket.?
    Originally posted by prosaver
    The 5p includes VAT, so that goes to HMRC
    • aau1
    • By aau1 19th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 18,693 Posts
    • 322,620 Thanks
    aau1
    Wasnt it said that a shop couldnt charge you for a bag if it had the shops name on as you were free advertising for them ? or did i dream that.
    Originally posted by Art Deco
    That claim was printed in a "reader views" page within a tabloid and then it got spread as gospel on social media.

It was all utter rubbish though
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • aau1
    • By aau1 19th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 18,693 Posts
    • 322,620 Thanks
    aau1
    You dreamt it. All single use bags need to be charged for if the retailer is large enough to need to charge.
    Originally posted by jon81uk
    Not "all" bags. There are exemptions
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,965Posts Today

8,205Users online

Martin's Twitter