Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 24th May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 121Posts
    • 550Thanks
    Silver Queen
    £15,000 to 0
    • 24th May 17, 3:16 PM
    £15,000 to 0 24th May 17 at 3:16 PM
    Hi

I have decided to re-join this forum so that I can stay motivated to bust my debt.

A bit about me...I work full-time in central London which gets me about £1.4k per month.

I owe £15,000 exactly on 0% interest. This is £13,000 to bank of ma and pa (started at £16,000 in October), which paid for my postgrad, and £2k of student overdraft.

I pay £250 per month to my parents but I would like to start making overpayments.

Frankly, until now, I have not really even thought about my student overdraft because it's on 0%. However, in June or July (not sure which - oops), it will reduce by £1k so I will need to pay it back ASAP.

I live at home at the moment, although I will be moving out in September.

My monthly expenses are food and £350-ish on a train ticket since I commute into London daily. I also pay £200 per month into a help to buy.

Goals
    1. Pay back £1k into my overdraft by end of July, whilst continuing to make £250 repayments monthly.
    2. Save a £1k moving fund. I am trying to declutter and become more minimalist so that I don't have so much stuff to move, but there will be general moving expenses.
    3. This one is a bit ambitious - I would like to try to pay back all the monies owed to my parents by next year. The current agreement is that I would keep paying them £250 pa until 2021 but I really really don't want to do that, because...
    4. This one is long-term. Save £20k by 2021 so that I can be on my way to putting down a deposit for a house.

I have started this diary because although I have been on the debt free journey for about three/four months, I have been noticing myself slipping lately, so hopefully this will hold me accountable!
    Last edited by Silver Queen; 24-05-2017 at 5:37 PM.
Page 3
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,012 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Bit different because we're not intending to move, but we've gone for a mixture of cheap furniture (mainly ikea) and the odd expensive piece (lovely quality John Lewis sofa, some vintage gplan tables on eB@y). The aim is to replace some of the cheap stuff for better quality/more appropriate for the space stuff over time, but the cheap stuff will last for a few years yet. Most of it moved with us 18 months ago.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £55,820.43/1st March 2025
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 11th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    See, I was planning to just stick to IKEA stuff really but it's actually way more expensive than I thought...I have a few bits and pieces that I could bring from here but they're definitely "student furniture" in that they're all odd bits and pieces that are slightly broken but mostly work for their function so I've not bothered to replace.

Also debating just buying piece by piece as and when I can afford it, but worried that'll result in not enough storage messiness.

I had been drawn in to the Eve/Leesa/Simba mattresses but I recently got a mattress topper and I'm actually pretty satisfied with it, so I don't know if I'll go down that route anymore. Being hunched over at a desk for most of the day has done terrible things for my posture and my shoulders especially, and I get a lot of back pain now so I was hoping a mattress would help that, but I feel like actual exercise would be cheaper and also just as helpful.

Had a largely productive day today but then realised there's a new episode of my favourite show on Netflix, and then got caught on a Netflix spiral. This means I only did 1 hour of work today rather than the anticipated 3, but I will try to do another half hour after I've written this so that I can actually count decent work done.

Achievements today (besides getting out of bed and getting dressed, of course)
    • Hoovered the house
    • Changed sheets and washed the previous ones
    • Mountains of laundry x 3
    • Bought AND made lunch for Monday-Thursday for £6.51, which included a cheeky box of Magnum ice creams since it was so hot today
    • Did 1 hour of work.
    • This counts as half an achievement - dug out some old textbooks for WeBuyBooks but unfortunately it only reaches £4.91 which is a whole 9p under the minimum threshold for an order, how annoying!
    • Watered my houseplants and gave them a little bit of TLC. Until recently I had a black thumb and I'm now calling it a grey-ish thumb.
    • Took out the bins.
    • Listed some stuff for sale, although I'm not sure how well it will sell.
    • Emptied, cleaned and re-stocked both my day to day handbag and my large weekend bag.
    • Actually remembered to burn some candles I already had instead of thinking about how much I love candles and then trying to buy more candles rather than getting through my stash.
    • Still managed to relax a bit! Had a long bath, used a posh body scrub that I got for free when I last bought sanitary items (weird, right?) and then actually used some of my giant stash of moisturisers. Feel like a new woman!

Things I didn't manage to do
    • Update my bullet journal. Is it weird that making a cohesive to-do list and weekly plan is on my to-do list? I just really like making lists and it makes me happy to have a bright, buttery, sunshine yellow notebook to do it in.
    • The other 2 hrs of work I was supposed to do. I'm a bit bitter about working so many hours for a basic rate with no overtime, but it comes with the territory and I don't mind too much. I have my health and youth, at this stage in my life I have the energy and time to put in the extra hours.
    • Syllabus plan for my boyfriend. Must touch base with him about this. He hates it when I go all business mode on him but he knows that I know best
    • Attempt #2 at dyeing my dress black. I have the dye, I just don't want to do it today because chances are, it will end up sitting in the tub for ages because I'll be too lazy to get it out and deal with it.
    • STILL have not found out my avios details. Need to do this but it isn't urgent, since we are no longer planning to go on a[nother] holiday this year. We can't really afford it, we've only been back from Greece for a month and a half and we both need to save for our imminent moves.
    • Exchanged a perfume that I got as a gift. I'm very grateful for the thought, but I don't like the perfume, so the plan is to exchange it for something I'll actually use. It was bought in Boots so my head says to be sensible and buy shampoo or deodorant or toothpaste, but I'll probably end up buying something frivolous like candles or make up...Saving this for when I go into the next town over which has a bigger Boots.
    • Also need to check what needs posting back to the boyfriend after he apparently left half of his possessions and probably his left kidney here last week.

Debt Totals & Account Balances - 11/06/2017
    • Amex: positive balance of £27.49 but waiting for two transactions of £22.50 and £45.00 respectively to clear. Actual Balance: -£40.01
    • Parental Loan: £13,250
    • Natwest Overdraft: £1,953.73 Available Balance: £16.27
    • Nationwide FlexDirect: £1,200
    • Help to Buy: £401
    • Cash: About £27 with £10 owed to me from my younger sister.

That unexpected expense of buying things for my sister's prom has really thrown me off this month. I had been hoping that I could continue to save £200 a month as usual but it looks like it may be less this month. I currently have about £44 in total in my "spends" account with about £30 coming my way from my sister and WeBuyBooks so I should be fine if no other expenses come up, besides AA which is about £7 and budgeted for.

I've been trying to keep up with Prolific Academic because I actually enjoy the surveys and they pay quite well. However, I've noticed that a lot of my surveys aren't being approved and so the payment is just in limbo. Bit annoying but I've heard it auto approves after 21 days I'm not too worried. Also doing onepoll but don't get surveys that often from there anymore, and I feel like they're getting longer and longer for less and less money. Still at £12.70 for onepoll so a long way off payoff but it's worth keeping up with it for the little bit of extra spending money I get from it.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.
    Last edited by Silver Queen; 12-06-2017 at 9:55 AM.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Jun 17, 5:18 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,012 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Sounds like a productive weekend! Don't be too put off by things going awry on budgeting (surprised by your sister's prom) - it's taken us a good four months of budgeting to begin to get to grips with our budget and uncover all those unexpected spends that we forgot to budget for. Many many categories have been added since our LBM in Feb.

I couldn't function without my bullet journal! I make 5 mins morning and 10 mins evening to do it, and use it throughout the day to schedule my time out as well as just writing lists. Every evening before bed I write my to do list for the next day.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £55,820.43/1st March 2025
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 12th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Sounds like a productive weekend! Don't be too put off by things going awry on budgeting (surprised by your sister's prom) - it's taken us a good four months of budgeting to begin to get to grips with our budget and uncover all those unexpected spends that we forgot to budget for. Many many categories have been added since our LBM in Feb.

I couldn't function without my bullet journal! I make 5 mins morning and 10 mins evening to do it, and use it throughout the day to schedule my time out as well as just writing lists. Every evening before bed I write my to do list for the next day.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    You have done so well with your debt repayments whilst still keeping a certain quality of life, this is definitely what I aspire to! I'm not a cold turkey sort and I'm what instagrammers would call "basic"...I love rose gold and pretty things too much

I only started BuJo about 3-4 months ago and I absolutely love it! I find it oddly relaxing to have somewhere to scribble whatever I want and not be constricted to lines. I used to be very artsy but it was sort of hammered out of me during my degree, I want to pick it up again but not brave enough for an actual canvas yet so this helps.

On the debt front...turns out I forgot that I overpaid my parents in a round about way by lending my sister £250 in March which she will pay directly back to them (which they have agreed to), so my current owing is £13,000. Good thing I wrote it all down because my memory is really something else
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 12th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    MrJester
    Hello SQ!

Catching up with your diary. I was just recommended usertesting.com which avoids the monotonous data entry of surveys, which you might like to try for extra cash.

In terms of your low back pain; I'm quite experienced with this myself. Your mattress wont necessarily do all that much for you imo, humans were built to sleep on the ground after all. If at all possible at work, try being able to do your work stood up in any way you can.
    Failing that, take very regular breaks by moving your legs to open your hips. There's a lot to it but your hips get locked up and your lower back ends up taking the brunt of the work. Again, humans weren't designed to sit in chairs (we forced ourselves and unlearned our primal ways). Finally, one thing that has helped me quite a bit with neck pain due to having a hunched posture from years of sitting was a pillow that has a slight curvature; it has larger thickness at one side which sits under your neck and allowing your head to sit flatter which straightens the spine rather than keeping it at a crooked angle which is again, unnatural. And yes, as you said, exercise will help with your pain specifically strengthening exercises. If you don't know what to do, just youtube search for low back pain strengthening routines

Best of luck with your debts ill be watching!
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (£26k+)!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,045 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'm also a fan of the bullet journal theory although I always refer to mine as a "bullet-ish Journal" as it doesn't quite meet the rules! It works for me though!

Good tips from Mr Jester there on the back pain thing - if I were you I'd definitely look towards trying the free options like exercise etc before looking to throw money at it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    MrJester
    I'm also a fan of the bullet journal theory although I always refer to mine as a "bullet-ish Journal" as it doesn't quite meet the rules! It works for me though!

Good tips from Mr Jester there on the back pain thing - if I were you I'd definitely look towards trying the free options like exercise etc before looking to throw money at it!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I've thrown a lot of money at it and it doesn't get you anywhere. Body pain, particularly back pain, is 90% of the time due to muscle imbalances and lack of strength in the body for proper body alignment/posture.

From someone who has herniated a disc, had severe sciatica (unable to walk with it) etc and years of trying to work out whats the issue.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 13th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Thank you both!

Realistically I know that it'll be a case of exercise, posture correction and general health that will make the difference, not a new mattress. But I also like the idea of sleeping deeply and I know I'm just hoping that throwing money at it will help
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents / Currently £12,750 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,000
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 13th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    MrJester
    Thank you both!

Realistically I know that it'll be a case of exercise, posture correction and general health that will make the difference, not a new mattress. But I also like the idea of sleeping deeply and I know I'm just hoping that throwing money at it will help
    Originally posted by Silver Queen
    That's something we all do. But with quality sleep, there's often different factors that are more important. These are the essentials:
    • Routine - go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
    • Pre-Routine - Develop a routine that you do every evening before bed; e.g. put clothes way, brush my teeth, read for 20 minutes..
    • Avoid anything that heightens your energy like caffiene, sugar, alcohol
    • Exercise every day; this regulates your body for rest
    • Meditate; 10 mins with the Headspace app before bed is great! (Even better in the morning too!)
    • Remove as much light as possible on the run up to bed time, and ensure your room is completely pitch black when going to sleep. We're talking removing all blue lights and replacing with low warm ones
    • Slightly too cold room is a good environment for sleeping, so keep the window open a smidge, even in winter

I hope this helps you
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,045 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    For what it's worth, we went the new mattress route a few months back - much needed, the old one was 13 years old and was a cheapy when we bought it. New one is wonderful but hasn't improved the quality/depth of my sleep a jot! (Neither has avoiding use of tech before bed, cutting out caffeine after lunchtime, pre-sleep routines etc - I've come to the conclusion that for me it;s just a natural part of getting older, that I don't sleep as well as I used to).
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 13th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    MrJester
    For what it's worth, we went the new mattress route a few months back - much needed, the old one was 13 years old and was a cheapy when we bought it. New one is wonderful but hasn't improved the quality/depth of my sleep a jot! (Neither has avoiding use of tech before bed, cutting out caffeine after lunchtime, pre-sleep routines etc - I've come to the conclusion that for me it;s just a natural part of getting older, that I don't sleep as well as I used to).
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Sure, everyone's a bit different. I know for me that some of the essentials for sleep do more for me than others; but the essential sleep tips are always true they just work differently for people and most importantly people need to be honest with themselves and commit to a new improved routine for a consistent, and long, amount of time to see the full effect.

But it's absolutely something that just needs testing for each individual. The same is true with diet, and exercise.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 14th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Hi all

Well, my accounts have balanced and all the money I was expecting has come in.

Had a moment of utter madness earlier and completely forgot about the existence of my Amex, so I ended up thinking myself richer than I was

Amex duly paid, balance is back to 0 which is where I like it.

£17.71 available on my natwest, £27 in cash. Still the same amounts in my help to buy and nationwide.

Been keeping up with prolific.

Had a very productive day at work today so I'm feeling

Not much else to report!
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents / Currently £12,750 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,000
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,045 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    All sounding good - and indeed to everything balancing!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 15-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 19th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Another weekend bites the dust and here we are at Monday morning again!

It has been far too hot for me, I'm hoping it will cool down by about 5-10 degrees soon!

Had a lazy weekend and a nice father's day, hope everyone else had a good time too.

Debt-wise and spending-wise I'm doing just okay...slipped a bit over the last week and a half or so with my spending but nothing too drastic.

I've got £1,250 in my Nationwide account and on one hand, I'm considering setting myself the challenge of getting rid of my 2k overdraft in its entirety rather than reducing it 1k by 1k.

On the other hand, the sensible side of me says to pay off the mandatory £1k at the end of this month and then save up £3.5k in my nationwide account before transferring the remaining £1k over and getting rid of the overdraft once and for all. This way, I make the absolute most of that 5% interest introductory offer.

Same dilemma, different day!

As to the Amex, I currently owe about £15 on it but the transactions haven't cleared yet so I'm waiting for them to clear, otherwise it won't let me pay.

Overdraft is as per usual!

Paella for lunch today because we went to a spanish restaurant for father's day (my older sister paid) and I snaffled the leftovers
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 25th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Is it still not the end of the month?

I confess, I bought three new pairs of work shoes (at least one of these will be returning to the store, ordered for choice) because they were half price at clarks, and my current work shoes are absolutely battered and has holes in them. £81.50 spent. I'm not too angry about this because I'd already budgeted to buy new work clothes next month, since what I'm wearing now is getting a bit on the ratty side.

Received a diamond necklace from my parents. I am extremely grateful and touched that they would do so, but I can't help being horrified at how much it cost and thinking what better use that money should have been put to. I won't let them know that though.

I've not been great with spending this week. I've started to run out of motivation and can feel myself slipping back into the "well, why shouldn't I?!" mindset. Obviously my mountains of debt is why I shouldn't, it's hard to remind myself that when I'm hungry at lunch and haven't bothered to bring lunch for the whole week, and there's expensive tempting food places right on the doorstep. Must keep up with bringing lunch but I'm bored to tears of soup and never quite seem organised enough to make lunch.

I've had absolutely 0 surveys in the last three days from Prolific Academic which is a bit annoying because I've quite enjoyed earning a little extra here and there from it.

On moneysaving news, I have been needing a pair of sunglasses and found a pair for £8 that I was moments away from clicking buy, but then had the sense to check ebay and they're on there for £1.38! So that's £6.62 saved!

On less moneysaving news, I made a big purchase for my parents and forgot that I could get nectar points. Kicking myself because with the offers and deals, I would have gotten £40 worth!
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 26th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,045 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Shoes - sound like a reasoned decision to me - you can't be walking about with holes in them!

Necklace - sounds amazing but yes, this is one of the problems with debt - it can rob you of pleasure in a lovely thoughtful gift. Wear it, love it, and just make sure it's covered on your insurance!

Revisit the options for lunches to avoid boredom. Salads, sandwiches, (filled rolls are easier than mucking about with bread) jacket potatoes maybe? Houmous and dippy veg. I'm making myself hungry so I'll stop now!

Sunglasses - well done for thinking to look!

Nectar points - give yourself a kick, remember it in the future, and move on. You can't be beating yourself up about stuff like that for too long.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 28th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Thank you EH! I've managed to bring lunch every day this week so far, hopefully this streak continues! Not a NSD today as I've given my boyfriend £40 petrol money, although it is payday today! Haven't had time to sort out July's budget but will sort it out tomorrow I think.

Had a bit of a rough week at work so far. Workload is intense and I made a mistake by omitting to do something that could have an impact. Not sure of the severity yet but I've been worrying about it all night. My boyfriend keeps telling me to let it go because I can't do anything to change the past and I know he's right but I'm such a worry wart.

On MS news, my overdraft shall reduce in two days and I'm pleased to report that I haven't spent the money I put aside for it! So I have transferred the money over already so it's sat in my account ready for the overdraft reduction. Although speaking to my friends with the same bank who didn't do an extra year of study, apparently theirs didn't reduce at all so I'm questioning whether my bank are actually going to manage it! I suppose we will see!

Prolific has really slowed down which is a shame. I might start using panelbase which I heard is good!

Hope everyone has a good week.
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,045 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Many years ago an old boss gave me a great piece of advice on mistakes made at work:
    Once you have realised what you've done, if you can fix it, do so, THEN tell your manager what's happened and how you've resolved it. If you can't fix it, tell them immediately what has happened and ask for their help in sorting the situation out. Either route minimises the potential damage caused and at the very least you emerge as an honest sort. Either way, apologise and reassure that it won't happen again. Your Boyfriend is right that worrying about it won't change things, but that's easier said than done, isn't it!

Regardless of what the bank decide to do it's the right thing for you to reduce the overdraft anyway isn't it - so I'd give yourself a quiet round of applause that it sounds as though you're ahead of your friends on this one! if the bank don't make the reduction themselves you can probably do it yourself via your online banking?

Prolific - well reminded. Need to get back on that one.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 28th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Glad I could be of service

I was like when I saw there's a £16.50 study on PA at the moment but it needs you to have facebook and twitter, and I deactivated my twitter account in January
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 28th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 14,818 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I couldn't do that one either, I don't have either FB or Twitter

DFW £718.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £331.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £216.50 + £25 Cash + £40 Amazon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,904Posts Today

8,175Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin