Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • indiegirl
    • By indiegirl 24th May 17, 9:36 AM
    • 1,060Posts
    • 531Thanks
    indiegirl
    Travelex Supercard - Goodbye!
    • 24th May 17, 9:36 AM
    Travelex Supercard - Goodbye! 24th May 17 at 9:36 AM
    Just received a letter from Travelex today informing me that the Supercard is being withdrawn from the market. It will stop working from Monday 24th July 2017.

I know it's slipped down the rankings over the past 12-18 months as one of the better cards to use, but I still used it to buy online as it charged back to my other credit card. It meant that I didn't have to worry about logging in to yet another c/card account or organising payment of that card too.

The reason appears to be the cost of running the card and delivering the service to customers has outweighed what Travelex expected; hence their decision to close.

I was a Beta user and then a full user when it launched. It was a decent card for me. It's a shame it's going.

Page 3
    • nk8
    • By nk8 2nd Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    nk8
    I've just applied and been accepted for the Barclaycard Travel Card to replace my Supercard. No ATM fees and no fees on cash withdrawals or purchases as long as the balance is paid off by the statement date, this is an introductory rate but runs until 2022. This is better for me as I used the Supercard solely for purchases and my Nationwide FlexPlus debit for cash previously. Now I only need to use one card instead of two.
    Originally posted by Tharweb
    Thank you for bringing the Travel card to my attention, in an unrelated topic, Barclay's AmEx 1% cashback card is coming to an end so I have asked them to move me onto this Platinum Travel card as it sounds perfect for my one country a month needs.
    • A_T
    • By A_T 2nd Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    A_T
    I've just applied and been accepted for the Barclaycard Travel Card to replace my Supercard. No ATM fees and no fees on cash withdrawals or purchases as long as the balance is paid off by the statement date, this is an introductory rate but runs until 2022. This is better for me as I used the Supercard solely for purchases and my Nationwide FlexPlus debit for cash previously. Now I only need to use one card instead of two.
    you've done well there my introductory rate runs out in 2018
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 2nd Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    csgohan4

Thanks for the heads up, Mine also lasts until 2018, so will be cancelling and applying for the new rate
    Last edited by csgohan4; 02-06-2017 at 9:02 AM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 2nd Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    Candyapple
    you've done well there my introductory rate runs out in 2018
    Originally posted by A_T
    New offer:

No non-sterling transaction fees on your foreign spend and ATM withdrawals until 31 August 2022
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman
    I understand that Monzo could be used to withdraw cash in £ from ATM in the UK without any fee charge similar you are using UK bank debit card apart from your money is sitting on you prepaid creditcard instead of bank AC.

IS is still the case that no fee charge for withdrawing cash in £ from ATM in the UK ?

Any info, link this will be very much appreciated...
    Originally posted by adindas
    Yes cash withdrawals on Monzo are 100% free in the UK and abroad.

When you try to withdraw cash there is often a message on the cash machine telling you that you may be charged a fee. This is because most prepaid cards do charge so its a standard message when it detects one.
    • slipd
    • By slipd 18th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    slipd
    Off to France in a few weeks so was having a think about the Halifax Clarity? I'm guessing as a credit credit, any application (successful or otherwise) will effect your credit rating, correct?

Whereas, the cards you pre-load, and I'm assuming, be able to load "on the fly," do not? Looking at a Monzo for this...

Thanks.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 18th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    Off to France in a few weeks so was having a think about the Halifax Clarity? I'm guessing as a credit credit, any application (successful or otherwise) will effect your credit rating, correct?

Whereas, the cards you pre-load, and I'm assuming, be able to load "on the fly," do not? Looking at a Monzo for this...

Thanks.
    Originally posted by slipd
    The only way an app will affect your credit history is by way of the search which will be recorded - nothing as to whether it's successful or unsuccessful will be noted.

The others, such as Monzo, will search, but only for the purposes of an ID check, which won't be visible to other lenders.

Neither of these are anything to worry about. The latter not at all, the former only becomes an issue if you're making multiple applications in quick succession, and need to apply for something important (such as a mortgage) in the next few (3-6) months.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 4,214 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Thanks for the heads up, Mine also lasts until 2018, so will be cancelling and applying for the new rate
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Just ask to switch either now or closer to the time.

Last time I cancelled a Barclaycard, they offered to move me to to any product they had available or just take £20 for not closing it.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just ask to switch either now or closer to the time.

Last time I cancelled a Barclaycard, they offered to move me to to any product they had available or just take £20 for not closing it.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng

I asked them to switch but they refused, only thing you could do is cancel now and apply after 6 months. Annoyed at how they treat current customers
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 17th Jul 17, 12:42 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    paddytt
    Which cards offer the same instant currency exchange as Supercard? I find the app brilliant for expenses, because I can make a foreign expenses claim the same day from the rate shown in the app. All my other cc's twke days to show the ampunt in £...

thanks

TT
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 17th Jul 17, 4:16 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Which cards offer the same instant currency exchange as Supercard? I find the app brilliant for expenses, because I can make a foreign expenses claim the same day from the rate shown in the app. All my other cc's twke days to show the ampunt in £...

thanks

TT
    Originally posted by paddytt
    Monzo
    Revolut
    Loot.io
    Starling Bank
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 30th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I would recommend the Monzo card, based on recent experiences in the UK and Germany.

As for the Travelex Supercard - I managed to get one when the first trial batch was issued. There were no fees for currency withdrawals at ATMs abroad - worked well.

Then, when the trial ended, they introduced fees which gave it no great advantage over other similar products - so I ditched it, and I assume so did many others.
    • rainbowskies
    • By rainbowskies 30th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    rainbowskies
    I already have the Halifax Clarity which works amazingly well for overseas purchases however, I needed a card to withdraw cash with. Still feel weird about withdrawing cash using a credit card.

I have recently applied for a starling bank debit card which looks good and doesn't charge anything for ATM use abroad.
    EMERGENCY FUND £1644.03 / £3000 (55% SAVED)
    CAR FUND £1200 / £1200 (100% SAVED)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

9,663Users online

Martin's Twitter