Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 23rd May 17, 4:48 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 593Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Moving House, Renovations & OPs
    • 23rd May 17, 4:48 PM
    Moving House, Renovations & OPs 23rd May 17 at 4:48 PM
    Hi! Welcome to my diary.
    I've been inspired after reading many others diaries so I am ready to join in the fun.
    We are buying a new house Yippee!
    We have a few things that we would like/need to pay before we move so hopefully this diary will help me to stop stressing and start doing.
    When we move there will be quite a bit of work to be done to modernise our new home. Then we'd like to start some side line money making schemes to OP the mortgage (on top of our Mon-Fri 9-5 employment).
    A bit about us:
    DH &I rented for a few years until we moved into Dh parents house for a year to save a deposit.
    We bought our current house nearly 5 years ago, got married, renewed the roof & boiler and many other bits since then.
    We've OPd a little and have paid off most of our debt so now have enough equity to move to somewhere more rural. Our offer was accepted on our dream (within budget) house. Therefore we worked our butts off painting and moving every bit of furniture around to make our home a house to show.
    We accepted an offer on our house after 4 weeks on the market. Our vendors are waiting to find a bungalow.

As you may see, my diary will not all be financial as I will be including our adventure of the moving process.
    Any questions, comments, cheering along the way would be most appreciated.

I know we could stay in this house and be more financially comfortable but that's not how to play the game.......
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 23-05-2017 at 5:04 PM. Reason: TMI
Page 2
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 10th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    We received the survey this week. It has put a slight downer on the pretty decorating budget. The house is structurally sound and these things are to be expected with an early 1900s house which has been lived in by our vendors for nearly 60 years.

So here is the budget before survey:
    £150 - kitchen ceiling
    £1000 - roof tiling + chimney
    £1000 - flooring
    £400 - paint
    £100 - road mirrors
    £2000 - log burner + fireplace
    £1000 - garage longer
    £450 - lights
    £400 - wardrobes
    £1400 - misc
    £2000 - save

£9900 Total (This is the amount we expect to have available when we move)

But, after the survey the projected budget is as follows:
    £2000 - damp course
    £3000 - septic tank + drains (worst case, so hopefully not!)
    £150 - kitchen ceiling
    £1000 roof tiling + chimney flashing
    £1000 - flooring+rugs
    £200 - paint
    £100 - mirrors road (dodgy turning)
    £2000 - log burner + fireplace
    £0 - garage longer
    £250 - lights
    £200 - wardrobes
    £0 - misc
    £0 - save
    = £9900

Some are these are worst case. We will do things in priority order and see what's left/not possible. They are all calculated guestimates but it will be good to look back at this. Misc is obviously going to need some ££ too. I really wanted to save at least £2000 EF and will hopefully do so if the big things cost less. I'm just not ready to take the log burner off the list yet.
    Live a lot. Love a few. Always paddle your own canoe.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 11th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    After making a plan for the food budget I have been and spent £38.35 on filling the freezer, snacks, tins and lunches (cheese, paste, jam, meats). Enough to last until the end of the month. We will only need to top up on milk, bread and fruit throughout the month.
    Now I just need to remember to defrost meat most nights which I'm not great at.
    Also spent £14.65 on rabbit food and bedding which will probably last at least 2x months. (Will buy them veg throughout the month too).

This was yesterday so first NSD today
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 11-06-2017 at 9:53 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 13th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Argh! I need a dimmer switch for my brain.
    It's been a 4 wees & 4 teas day at work today (ie. not too busy to wee or tea)
    Too much time to ponder though.
    Has anyone got any tips on being patient whilst waiting for something to happen? (Exchange/completion date)
    I'm really good at waiting usually. I love the anticipation, looking forward to special times like gigs, birthdays, Christmas and holidays. you get longer enjoyment out of the waiting than the actual experience.
    Waiting for an unknown day though is harder. DH e-mailed at work today saying "poke him." I donít think our solicitor would take too kindly to being poked!
    Ah its the ifs and buts and not knowing Argghh.
    Should we pack or are we tempting fate?
    Do I even believe in fate?
    Will the locals be nice?
    What colour will we do the lounge?
    What colour should the fireplace be?
    I wonder if there are any craft clubs?
    I wonder if they will condemn the septic tank?
    Will I ever pass my driving test to be able to leave the new house (which has no path) on my own?
    And donít get me started with am I sure I am doing the right think in moving?
    So far? Away from family? Not knowing anybody?
    Of course I am sure but the waiting just makes me keep going over and over the same questions.
    I need to fill my time, I have no tv but have been watching catchup recently, prefer not to do too much of that. Another plan is in order.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 14th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Not a NSD today. Fruit purchased. I went for a lovely power walk for an hour at lunch via a shop to buy deodorant ('twas very warm). I'm working on gaining £ whilst losing lb plus walking is my way of meditating.
    Definitely a LSD, doing good so far.
    Tomorrow is a big day and will be very expensive but it is accounted for in the monthly budget...
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 14-06-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Walking is definitely a good way of clearing your thoughts, I try to get out during lunch breaks too.

I'm rubbish at being patient at the best of times, but I found waiting to move, with all the unknowns, really was the worst kind of waiting, so you have my sympathies.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 15th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Thanks EatingTheElephant. Much appreciated . Must be patient. The walk really helped so I will be doing many more of them.

I've pencilled myself in for the only two weeks left available of holiday in the summer at work (first two weeks of August). Someone is already asking if they can have it instead. I don't know? I think that's a reasonable date to expect to move so I might just book it officially.

Failed my first driving test today. Totally expected it so I'm OK with it and I'm grateful to have had a new experience. Not told anyone in real life (other than DH) that I was doing it. I'm only mentioning it here because it's going to keep costing money for now.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 17th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Here is my short term monthly budget:
    Food - £245.74/£300. £80.94 this week. Hopefully only milk and bread to be purchased from now on.
    Petrol - £63.79/£125. Looking good.
    Cigs - £67.46/£65. I have never added this up before. I'm shocked at this. May as well roll up notes and chuck them in the fire. This MUST change!!!
    Fun me - £84.80/£100. £52.75 car parts to get it ready to sell.
    Fun DH - £78.55/£100. £52.75 car parts £13.75 grandad gift.
    Driving lessons - £200/£225
    Extra saved - £4.20 bank rewards (I've added £0.80 to get it to a nice round £1500 )

Well at least we can see now where we are burning the £££. Everything else seems on track.

We did put our wardrobes + dressing table on ebay but they didn't sell so the BHF have collected the wardrobes today. There are fitted wardrobes in the new house but we would like to buy nicer ones in future.

I have too many clothes but I can't bare to get rid of any of them, most are charity shop bargains. I wonder, if I made a pile of loved clothes it will be interesting to see what's left? Maybe I'll just do it at the new house when I can see how much room I have got. Although, if I keep it all then I won't need to buy new clothes to replace any tatty ones in future. hmmm...
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 17-06-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    • Dogbooks
    • By Dogbooks 18th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Dogbooks
    Ah I'm sorry to hear about the driving test, fingers crossed for you for next time!

I know how frustrating the wait is, particularly when everything is out of your control. My tactic was to concentrate on another short term goal that I could tackle e.g. save more emergency fund money. It felt like I was achieving something whilst distracting myself haha!
    Goals for 2017:
    • Complete purchase of house
    • Save emergency fund- £1200/ £9300
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 20th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sorry to hear about your driving test, however the best people fail at least once I have found!

With your grocery spends have you read through any of the meal planning threads? I've found this a great inspiration and tips such as doing meat free days a few days a week, utilizing Lidl/also/tesco special offers on veggies and meal planning around these has saved us loads. Ours comes out at £30 per week roughly (we get toilet rolls and milk for free though)

I spent a lot of time going through my wardrobe at the start of the year and being ruthless with things and putting them on eBay if they are unworn for a year (but not a special occasion outfit)- we made quite a lot through this avenue and have overpaid it

Will subscribe to your diary to cheer you along the way!
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2508.28/ £2150 117%. New target £2500 100%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £212.41

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 20th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 10,647 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Argh! I need a dimmer switch for my brain.
    It's been a 4 wees & 4 teas day at work today (ie. not too busy to wee or tea)
    Too much time to ponder though.
    Has anyone got any tips on being patient whilst waiting for something to happen? (Exchange/completion date)
    I'm really good at waiting usually. I love the anticipation, looking forward to special times like gigs, birthdays, Christmas and holidays. you get longer enjoyment out of the waiting than the actual experience.
    Waiting for an unknown day though is harder. DH e-mailed at work today saying "poke him." I donít think our solicitor would take too kindly to being poked!
    Ah its the ifs and buts and not knowing Argghh.
    Should we pack or are we tempting fate?
    Do I even believe in fate?
    Will the locals be nice?
    What colour will we do the lounge?
    What colour should the fireplace be?
    I wonder if there are any craft clubs?
    I wonder if they will condemn the septic tank?
    Will I ever pass my driving test to be able to leave the new house (which has no path) on my own?
    And donít get me started with am I sure I am doing the right think in moving?
    So far? Away from family? Not knowing anybody?
    Of course I am sure but the waiting just makes me keep going over and over the same questions.
    I need to fill my time, I have no tv but have been watching catchup recently, prefer not to do too much of that. Another plan is in order.
    Originally posted by Elephantchunks
    Feeling your anguish! I've got no solutions im afraid, but at least you have this diary to vent!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 20th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Thanks for visiting peeps, lovely to see you here and thanks to your suggestions I have made a mini list. I do love a good list....

Dogbooks - Distraction - Short term goal - Save money.
    Kittenkirst - Read meal planning threads.
    Kittenkirst - Be ruthless - Put unwanted clothes on ebsy.
    Shangaijimmy - Vent. (That was quite a vent haha).

Thrash Metal is totally my vent today. It's been quite a few years since I listened to this! Raghhh!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 21st Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Ooooh can't beat a bit of thrash metal! I had some Slayer on the car stereo on the drive up north for work this morning
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2508.28/ £2150 117%. New target £2500 100%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £212.41

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 21st Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    That's what I was listening to Kittenkirst! & Nailbomb, love them.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 24th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    It's that time of week again...
    Here is my short term monthly budget:
    Food - £289.10/£300. £43.36 this week. Must start meal planning and do a proper shop beginning of next month.
    Petrol - £90.61/£125. Looking good.
    Cigs - £95.70/£65. Ouch!
    Fun me - £87.80/£100. Free fun for me this week.
    Fun DH - £99.79/£100. £21.24. Weekend subscription to watch Le Mans + beer.
    Driving lessons - £225/£225
    Extra saved - £0 Ebsy is my mission this week

Tasks for today -
    Sort clothes - Clothes I won't need until we move into bags, ebsy box and the rest into boxes and on a borrowed clothes rail.
    Find things to ebsy
    Freezer inventory - Might be a month until we move but should start eating it all up.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 26th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Last weekends task list:
    Sort clothes - Clothes I won't need until we move into bags, ebsy box and the rest into boxes and on a borrowed clothes rail.
    Find things to ebsy
    Freezer inventory - Might be a month until we move but should start eating it all up.
    Read MS food forums
    4x loads of washing
    Listed 5x items on ebsy - More to be listed
    5x Boxes filled from items in spare room
    Bumper fitted to car we're going to sell
    All car paperwork sorted and into separate folders

I've done a decent hour of power walking today. I'm starting to feel the difference in my skirts but still I'm not checking the scales until the end of the month.

DH and I have bagged free coach tickets to London next week so we're both real excited. I've only ever been three times and one of those was this year with my Mum to visit the V&A.

Right, I'm off to see what we can do for free in London
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 28th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Money saving just got serious.
    Today we were told by our solicitor that we require a survey on the septic tank as it may be an environmental health issue . So that'll be £650. This will likely mean our completion date will be further away so we're not pleased that we weren't told earlier. Ah well, we'll do our best to get those cards paid before.

Time for some positive action!
    Spent the whole night last night planning meals and doing a monthly shop online of all freezer food, tins, snacks, cleaning products and toiletries. About £110 spent.
    I also did 40 minute power walk and 10 treks up and down the stairs.

We'll be aiming for as many NSD as possible next month and to get some ££ from ebsy selling. Unlike last month (where we didn't go out) we have quite a few parties and days out planned so we will need to plan more than usual - buy booze on offer before we go and take lunch from home on our days out.

I feel another list coming on. Wondering if I should change my name to ListyMcListFace?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 29th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    You can't beat a good list EC! Question is, is the list electronic or paper?!

Sounds like a very positive plan of action
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 29th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Good luck, sounds like a plan!! ListyMcListFace, I love this!! I'd be SpreadsheetyMcSpreadsheetFace!! Lol!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£6746.24
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61 November - £50 December - £2635.54
    • CathT
    • By CathT 29th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 5,401 Posts
    • 37,107 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi EC, hope the tank survey doesn't delay things too much for you.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,467
    part 2 - £45,985
    Total - £125,449
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 29th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Thanks EatingTheElephant. List will be electronic, I write many lists on paper and they get left at the bottom of my bag and ignored.

Haha Jessy, we could be super (money saving) heroes with those names!

Hi CathT, nice to see you here, thanks.

The monthly shop has arrived 👏. I can't believe how big the freezer pile looked until I chucked all that ridiculous oversized packaging and separated all the meat into two people portions. I still have room to pick up YS goodies now when I see them. Our MrT convenience store is great for these at 5.30 when I walk past on my way home from work. Oh... I just remembered I've meal planned and have everything I need - Note to self - do not enter MrTs!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter