Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • birdmanT
    • By birdmanT 23rd May 17, 1:51 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 25Thanks
    birdmanT
    How long to set aside a CCJ
    • 23rd May 17, 1:51 PM
    How long to set aside a CCJ 23rd May 17 at 1:51 PM
    Hi everyone
    Firstly, thank you for all the brilliant information available on the forum about CCJ's and getting them set aside. I have a CCJ at my old address on my credit file. Today I submitted forms to the court to get the judgement set aside. In your experience, how long does it take the court to process this and make a decision?

Many thanks in advance
    Tom
Page 2
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 6th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 6,340 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    beamerguy
    And you'd fail to recover the brief fee you incurred on the basis that to do so was disproportionate to the matters in dispute.
    Originally posted by Johnersh
    All parking tickets then. Sadly the SC wrongly thought it was OK.

Now the scammers use the courts as a public toilet ?

Tell me Johnersh, I understand you are are a solicitor ? How
    do you feel about the rogue trader solicitors who operate
    within your industry
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 6,423 Thanks
    The Deep
    How do you feel about the rogue trader solicitors who operate
    within your industry

According to the SRA the ones we come into contact with are all squeaky clean, but we know differently, there are a lot of bent solicitors around.

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/recent-decisions/recent-decisions.page,
    Last edited by The Deep; 06-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 6th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Johnersh
    There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life. Traders like Madoff who ran Ponzi schemes, doctors like Peterson the breast surgeon, policemen manipulating the vulnerable etc etc. No one should condone any of that.

The correct questions are:

1. Are the likes of Gladstones acting illegally?
    2. If no, are they acting unfairly?
    3. If yes/possibly, does the law need to be changed.

I don't begrudge anyone doing paid work, albeit it's not a discipline I'd like a to practice or encourage others to.

Personally, I really dislike poorly drafted automated stuff that's never been properly supervised by trained staff. It clogs up an overstretched court system and will often fail. Since 90% of litigation settles outside a court room, much of it will never be tested.

Law is not a tin of beans. There is no Tesco value version. Once you hit the irreducible minimum, the work can no longer be done by a lawyer. Quality can (but does not always) suffer. The automated nonsense I see is poor.

There is no margin in this, it relies on bulk processing by unqualified staff. Most commentators on the forum will likely have higher academic qualifications in their chosen fields and (by simple fact of lavishing more time on their defence than a claimant ever will on a set of particulars) be better informed and better placed to defend such claims.

Since nearly all particulars of claim are unsupported and say the same thing it is likely that claims are issued with no investigation or case papers at all and on the basis of a diary prompt. The claimant then relies on the PPC having cobbled together some photos by the time the statements are due. No wonder judges get hacked off. To make matters worse the advocates instructed are then often unqualified too....

But other than that, no issues. Why do you ask?
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 6th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Johnersh
    @beamerguy I should also clarify that you could conceivably in the right case recover a disbursement for a cheap junior counsel, but not the 20k that you'd probably have to pay a silk as a trial brief fee for a full day in a remote county court. Like I say, disproportionate....
    • birdmanT
    • By birdmanT 8th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    birdmanT
    I was just happy that I didn't pay CEL a penny and they had to pay me £255. I know I'm even from the whole situation - I didn't get any money for my time, but at least it cost CEL to take me to court. And they paid promptly.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 6,423 Thanks
    The Deep
    There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life.

But few in the Diplomatic Service, (well ours anyway), I am pleased to say.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 8th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Johnersh
    There are a lot of dodgy people in ALL walks of life.

@TheDeep there are no exceptions - that's human nature and statistical inevitability. As to whether you are correct as a % of the whole, you may be, but I suspect neither of us have reliable data.

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/839207.dodgy_diplomat_jailed_for_three_years/
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 33,243 Posts
    • 17,186 Thanks
    Quentin
    There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life.

But few in the Diplomatic Service, (well ours anyway), I am pleased to say.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    What about when they retire and lose the cronyism that protected them whilst in service??

Eg:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/ex-diplomat-jailed-for-child-sex-a14980/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

582Posts Today

4,735Users online

Martin's Twitter