Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 23rd May 17, 1:02 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 44Thanks
    lloydyyy
    BT broadband renewal
    • 23rd May 17, 1:02 PM
    BT broadband renewal 23rd May 17 at 1:02 PM
    It's that time of year again. My contract is due up for renewal.

I'm currently paying £12.50 a month excluding line rental for Unlimited Infinity 1 (up to 52Mb). I was paying £10 a month until April when BT increased their prices. I paid my line rental upfront last year.

To re-contract for another 12 months, I've been offered the same package for £5.50 per month excluding line rental. TalkTalk had a competing offer for £25 per month including line rental.

Is it worth paying line rental upfront again? I suppose this would make it difficult for me to move to another ISP should BT increase their prices again. Or could I haggle with BT to further better their offer?
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 23-05-2017 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Minor alterations to first paragraph
Page 2
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 11th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cbrookes
    Well, when I sign in online they are offering a 24 month contract for Infinity 2 for £35.49 a month including line rental, plus a £25 gift card. Does that sound ok? It's only £2 more than Infinity 1
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 11th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    As a ballpark, I was also offered Infinity 1 for £25.99 a month for 24 months.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 12th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cbrookes
    So how did you get that price? Did you call them? And was that paying line rental upfront? Also did they give you a price for Infinity 2? We find ours slow at times but I think it's down to the hub as much as anything so I may invest in a new hub but need to wait to see which isp I go with first lol
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 12th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    So how did you get that price? Did you call them? And was that paying line rental upfront? Also did they give you a price for Infinity 2? We find ours slow at times but I think it's down to the hub as much as anything so I may invest in a new hub but need to wait to see which isp I go with first lol
    Originally posted by cbrookes
    I rang retentions and mentioned a competing offer from TalkTalk - they then offered me a few better deals. They didn't offer me prices for Infinity 2 because I'm on Infinity 1 and it's adequate for me.

BT mentioned they 'never' slow their users down compared to Plusnet (where it's traffic management rather than throttling), but I have noticed my BT speeds dip at certain times.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 12th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cbrookes
    Just looked at TT, think I need to move to York! £21.70 per month for up to 900 meg including line rental!
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 15th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I think I'll stick with BT. The cost is the same per month with line rental and only £20 difference for the year with LRS. I don't like the sound of Plusnet's traffic management (even though it prioritises certain activities) whereas BT is unlimited (except maybe the occasional congestion at the exchange).
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 18th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I've paid the LRS with BT so that'll cover me for another 12 months. The LRS is £208.80 whereas the line rental monthly at £18.99 comes to £227.88 over 12 months. Is it worth paying the line rental upfront these days? Admittedly, the person at BT that I spoke to said fewer people are paying the line rental upfront these days as it's much less of a saving compared to before. Would be grateful to hear people's thoughts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,352Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter