Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dogbooks
    • By Dogbooks 22nd May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 80Thanks
    Dogbooks
    Dogbooks' Diary to be Mortgage Free!
    • 22nd May 17, 5:19 PM
    Dogbooks' Diary to be Mortgage Free! 22nd May 17 at 5:19 PM
    Hi all,

I've been so inspired reading all your diaries and as we exchanged today I thought I would celebrate by creating my own diary to join you all! Due to complete on Friday

OH and I have bought the house, and we will also have the addition of my mum's dog moving in with us when we've settled in, which I am very excited about.

We've bought our first house for £200,000k, taking out a mortgage for £180k currently to be fully paid in 27 years (which is scary as that is longer than I have been alive for haha!) However, hoping to get rid of it as soon as possible.

I'm not yet setting a target- I'm going to wait until we have fully moved in and sorted bills etc and seeing what I have leftover. I'm not sure which date we will be moving in yet- we're renting our current place until the end of June so we have a lot of flexibility. We're hoping to get a new floor in the ground floor before moving.

I'm also saving up the EF to cover any essential house works- I currently have £900 in my fund and OH has a similar amount, however we're waiting for the solicitors to refund us 2k back (they hadn't included the Help to Buy Bonus in the statement) My plan is any extra money half is for the EF and half is for OP but we shall see how that goes

Cannot wait to share this journey and looking forward to getting to know more people on this thread!
    Goals for 2017:
    • Complete purchase of house
    • Save emergency fund- £1200/ £9300
Page 2
    • Dogbooks
    • By Dogbooks 11th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Dogbooks
    Cheers to us weirdos Elephantchunks! They may laugh, but we will have the last laugh when our pennies add up haha!

We're both completely new to any major DIY- the most we had done before was painting. We're learning a lot from OH's dad who has been a superstar and helped us lay down the floor with a friend. The floor and underlay cost about £200 for the living room and we reckon about £150 for the dining room, so well within our £2000 budget for DIY around the house

My main problem is not stopping for any breaks- I keep dragging OH around to the house after work and for long shifts at the weekend. We're getting stuff done but tiredness is beginning to catch up now. Will totally be worth it when we move in on Thursday!
    Goals for 2017:
    • Dogbooks
    • By Dogbooks 12th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Dogbooks
    So today I found out how much my bonus is from work- £945 for the year! I have never received a bonus from working before so super excited. Apparently they will backdate it from April so June's pay packet should look pretty exciting! Celebrating with a large glass of white wine tonight!

Ended up giving the doors ANOTHER coat of gloss tonight- my perfectionism got in the way and there were a few touch ups needed. OH scrubbed the walls down with sugarsoap ready for some possible painting tomorrow when he finishes work.

I've taken tomorrow off work- I have a meeting with the trustees for a charity I volunteer for in the afternoon and can pack in the morning
    Goals for 2017:
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 13th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Hope you enjoyed the wine. That's a corker of a bonus.
    Saved so far: July £1719/£2650 +Paid £380 Survey
    Save before we move: End of June £1447/£2380
    Save before we move: End of May £975/£2380
    • Dogbooks
    • By Dogbooks 18th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Dogbooks
    Thank you- work had a restructure last year so ended up doing a lot of work outside my job role. Was really nice to receive the recognition and so excited for the payday!

I haven't been on here for a few days as we've moved house! The move went pretty smoothly but I went back to work the next day. Then had a manic weekend travelling to a wedding reception and meeting with family today. Looking forward to getting on with some house tasks next weekend as I'm then booked every Saturday til August!

Now I'm in I'm itching to make some OPs- awaiting the bills to all be confirmed before making a SOA and seeing how much we can save. This month is looking pretty good- still have about £700 in my current account so hoping for as many NSD's as possible in the meantime- should be able to carry across at least £500. Now I need to decide whether to add to my EF account or make a decent mortgage OP!
    Goals for 2017:
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 5,441 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Congratulations on the move and the bonus
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,738Posts Today

6,893Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin