Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 22nd May 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7,346Posts
    • 64,941Thanks
    mimi1234
    eBay Return
    • 22nd May 17, 3:43 PM
    eBay Return 22nd May 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hi,

* Sold 5 stop smoking kits consisting of a charger, tips and a cigarette in each one.
    * Buyer received the items, agreeing they were all sealed.
    * Opened one of the kits, used it and was not happy with it because it was supposedly used (even though it was sealed), said it only lasted half the time it was supposed to have lasted.
    * Opened all the other sets, using them all, saying they all lasted half the time they were supposed to have lasted.
    * Now wants a full refund.

* I'm not a business seller and sold these because I no longer smoke.
    * Initially, the buyer said they just wanted a refund and would not return the items.
    * Has now opened a case and wants a full refund.

How do I go about this? I ask for them back and then give them a full refund?

I would have thought the buyer would have contacted me after the first or second one was opened instead of opening and using them all.

Please can someone advise.
Page 2
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Even though the ebay case hasn't resulted in a refund for her because she didn't return the items, can she still appeal to Paypal?
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    Yes. .........
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    you need to read their rules, so yes they are banned unless you are permitted to sell them

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/tobacco.html
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Did you read the thread? This has been covered and the OP is certain she/he is permitted.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Hi,

I am a qualified seller. I've had it confirmed by their CS.

She won the case and was told by eBay to return the items to me. She kept to her word and a week later, she hasn't sent them back so the case is now closed and I kept the money.

What a farce though.

Thanks for all your help folks.
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    You say you are a private seller, so you wont be qualified to sell them, you have to complete a form and email or fax it to them with business documents and then they will give you approval or not.

Regardless what they say when you first joined.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    You say you are a private seller, so you wont be qualified to sell them, you have to complete a form and email or fax it to them with business documents and then they will give you approval or not.

Regardless what they say when you first joined.
    I agree with your sentiments and as I said above, it was pointed out to the OP, but she/he seems convinced they are able to sell.

That aside, it's moot as the case was resolved and the buyer didn't return.

Hopefully the buyer won't think about Paypal and/or a chargeback.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 58,864 Posts
    • 41,696 Thanks
    soolin
    OP, if buyer does try paypal then do the same as you did on ebay. Also, paypal do not charge the seller for the return postage so that woul dbe at buyer's expense.

I suspect they realised that seller was not supposed to be selling this and was expecting to be refunded in order to stay quiet, or else be told by ebay that the items were restricted and therefore a refund would be given without the need to return. Basically their bluff was called and they couldn't be bothered to continue.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 10th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 7,346 Posts
    • 64,941 Thanks
    mimi1234
    The buyer kind of said from day one she wouldn't be returning and just wanted a refund.

She probably wanted the goods for free. It didn't work out for her I guess.

She can try PayPal. I don't mind. I thought you could only open one case, via eBay or PayPal?

Thanks for all your input folks.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    The buyer kind of said from day one she wouldn't be returning and just wanted a refund.

She probably wanted the goods for free. It didn't work out for her I guess.

She can try PayPal. I don't mind. I thought you could only open one case, via eBay or PayPal?

Thanks for all your input folks.
    Sadly that changed some time ago. You can have an Ebay case and then a Paypal case. Paypal extended their timelines which gives a buyer 180 days from purchase date.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 10th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 7,346 Posts
    • 64,941 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Thanks again all.

With regards to the qualified thing, they confirmed it. I sold a lot of items when my Dad passed off as we found all kinds of stuff which we didn't know we had in the attic and the basement. After 100 sales, they asked me to upgrade or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure I want to sell on eBay anymore. The conversation I had with the manager at CS who more or less said "of course you can buy stuff, use it, claim it was not what it was, send it back and get a full cash refund" has given me the willies. Couldn't someone buy a pot of Creme De La Mer for £250, scoop most of it out, send an almost empty tub back, claim it wasn't what it was sold as, send it back, get all the money back and keep most of the cream? Isn't that just totally unfair for people who use eBay as a business? Unless business sellers get extra protection of some sort?
    Last edited by mimi1234; 10-06-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Thanks again all.

With regards to the qualified thing, they confirmed it. I sold a lot of items when my Dad passed off as we found all kinds of stuff which we didn't know we had in the attic and the basement.
    when was this as they changed everything in 2016 and only business sellers can be approved, telling you something in live chat is not confirmation, you have to complete the form many have stated and linked too, this is the only way to get approved.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 10,584 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thanks again all.

With regards to the qualified thing, they confirmed it. I sold a lot of items when my Dad passed off as we found all kinds of stuff which we didn't know we had in the attic and the basement. After 100 sales, they asked me to upgrade or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure I want to sell on eBay anymore. The conversation I had with the manager at CS who more or less said "of course you can buy stuff, use it, claim it was not what it was, send it back and get a full cash refund" has given me the willies. Couldn't someone buy a pot of Creme De La Mer for £250, scoop most of it out, send an almost empty tub back, claim it wasn't what it was sold as, send it back, get all the money back and keep most of the cream? Isn't that just totally unfair for people who use eBay as a business? Unless business sellers get extra protection of some sort?
    As a business which has an eBay presence, it isn't an issue for us. We get no extra protection.

when was this as they changed everything in 2016 and only business sellers can be approved, telling you something in live chat is not confirmation, you have to complete the form many have stated and linked too, this is the only way to get approved.
    You are labouring a point that isn't relevant or are you only reading selected posts? The OP has sold, endured the case but retained the funds.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 10th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    Tealblue
    Why not start a new thread? You might get more responses if people know you're discussing a topic other than the one this thread was meant to cover.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

4,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin