Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SoggyMoggy
    • By SoggyMoggy 22nd May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 186Thanks
    SoggyMoggy
    Tesco Bank have changed their details
    • 22nd May 17, 1:52 PM
    Tesco Bank have changed their details 22nd May 17 at 1:52 PM
    Don't know if anyone's noticed (I hadn't), but Tesco Bank have changed their own bank account details for payments.

I had two months where the direct debit on my Clubcard Credit Card bounced back, neither Tesco nor my own bank (Barclays) could explain it (the DD was active and there were sufficient funds), so I made the payment by FP/BACS, cancelled the existing DD and set it up again - same thing happened, so I cancelled it altogether and set it up as a standing order. That went out today, but on checking my online statement to make sure it had gone through, I discovered this on May's statement:

"The Tesco Bank account details for faster payments have changed. If you pay us via faster payment please amend payee to:
    Sort code: 406415
    Account number: 31310006
    Remember to enter your credit card number as a payment reference."

It wasn't on April's statement, from where I had taken the sort code and account number to set up the SO!

Payment isn't due until the 28th, so I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if the (now misdirected) payment shows up or bounces back, but I thought I'd draw this to MSErs' attention, just in case (like me) you hadn't spotted the change.

I presume Tesco had been having problems themselves, hence the change to a new bank account; From googling the problem the first time it happened, I'm aware that many others had had DDs bounce back despite there being funds available.
Page 1
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 22nd May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    • 22nd May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 3:13 PM
    Surely a call to customer services would the prudent course of action?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 22nd May 17, 4:13 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 22nd May 17, 4:13 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 4:13 PM
    My current and savings accounts are still the same, so it must just be credit cards.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 17,346 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    molerat
    • 22nd May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 4:27 PM
    40 02 50 is HSBC
    40 64 15 is Tesco

Obviously moving the payments in house.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 22nd May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 22nd May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 6:04 PM
    you would think tho that they could make an arrangement for HSBC to forward payments instead of them been bounced.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 22nd May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 22nd May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 6:09 PM
    you would think tho that they could make an arrangement for HSBC to forward payments instead of them been bounced.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    They must not of used the switching service properly! Lol
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 23rd May 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18,544 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 23rd May 17, 8:37 AM
    • 23rd May 17, 8:37 AM
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    I'd imagine they will have, nobody has yet said that payments are being bounced.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 23rd May 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 23rd May 17, 8:39 AM
    • 23rd May 17, 8:39 AM
    I though OP said it bounced.

Although rereading OP's post the DD also bounced which is odd, my DD hasnt bounced.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 23rd May 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 23rd May 17, 8:43 AM
    • 23rd May 17, 8:43 AM
    Perhaps OP means "Standing Order" when they say DD.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 23rd May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    i did faster payment using old detail and it has landed in my cc account.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 23rd May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Don't know if anyone's noticed (I hadn't), but Tesco Bank have changed their own bank account details for payments.

I had two months where the direct debit on my Clubcard Credit Card bounced back, neither Tesco nor my own bank (Barclays) could explain it (the DD was active and there were sufficient funds), so I made the payment by FP/BACS, cancelled the existing DD and set it up again - same thing happened, so I cancelled it altogether and set it up as a standing order. That went out today, but on checking my online statement to make sure it had gone through, I discovered this on May's statement:

"The Tesco Bank account details for faster payments have changed. If you pay us via faster payment please amend payee to:
    Sort code: 406415
    Account number: 31310006
    Remember to enter your credit card number as a payment reference."

It wasn't on April's statement, from where I had taken the sort code and account number to set up the SO!

Payment isn't due until the 28th, so I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if the (now misdirected) payment shows up or bounces back, but I thought I'd draw this to MSErs' attention, just in case (like me) you hadn't spotted the change.

I presume Tesco had been having problems themselves, hence the change to a new bank account; From googling the problem the first time it happened, I'm aware that many others had had DDs bounce back despite there being funds available.
    Originally posted by SoggyMoggy

Just checked March, April and this month's payment which have been paid by DD and all have gone through ok (with Barclays) and also made my OH check his as well and same, no problems with DD bouncing and all payments have been fine (his bank is Halifax).

Any other Tesco customers?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Catsacor
    • By Catsacor 23rd May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Catsacor
    Just going off on a very slight tangent here - I am receiving a lot of phishing emails supposedly from Tesco - that could mislead some people.
    I realise that's not what's being said here but I felt it something worth interrupting for, sorry.
    Back to topic
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 23rd May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    40 02 50 is HSBC
    40 64 15 is Tesco

Obviously moving the payments in house.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Aren't they both HSBC sort codes?
    The latter is just a dedicated Tesco Bank one.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 24th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    20aday
    I made a Faster Payment the other day using the old account details as it's reached my account.

There's likely to be a cross-over period before the old details become obsolete?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • lifethrualens
    • By lifethrualens 15th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lifethrualens
    Tesco haven't said the old details are becoming obsolete. Payments sent to the old details will still be accepted provided the reference is correct.

Direct debits aren't impacted by the change to bank details either
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 16th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Tesco haven't said the old details are becoming obsolete. Payments sent to the old details will still be accepted provided the reference is correct.

Direct debits aren't impacted by the change to bank details either
    Originally posted by lifethrualens
    They will be getting redirected or they old details will still operate (in tandem) for a period of time. Both sort codes are ultimately supplied by HSBC.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 16th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,323 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    adindas
    I just checked my June statement, I could still see bank Giro Credit address to the following Account.
    42-74-70 which is HSBC Bank

It is exactly the same with the January Statement.

If you are asking them to set up DD, I wonder why care about changing Sort code,ac No. If there is a mispayment due to changing A/C it will not be your fault.

You could chekc the sort code from here
    http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/consumers/sort-code-checker

40 02 50 is HSBC Bank
    40 64 15 is Tesco Bank
    Last edited by adindas; 18-06-2017 at 7:08 AM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 16th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    On my April statement, it said that the details had changed for faster payments, no mention of DD's or SO's. The information was printed on one statement only, wasn't there on May's.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Jun 17, 1:37 AM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I just checked my June statement, I could still see bank Giro Credit address to the following Account.
    42-74-70 30274704 whihc is HSBC BAnk

It is exactly the same with the January Statement.

If you are asking them to set up DD, I wonder why care about changing Sort code,ac No. If there is a mispayment due to changing A/C it will not be your fault.

You could chekc the sort code from here
    http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/consumers/sort-code-checker

40 02 50 is HSBC Bank
    40 64 15 is Tesco Bank
    Originally posted by adindas
    All three sort codes are HSBC, it's just the 406415 one is used solely by Tesco Bank.
    • lifethrualens
    • By lifethrualens 20th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lifethrualens
    On my April statement, it said that the details had changed for faster payments, no mention of DD's or SO's. The information was printed on one statement only, wasn't there on May's.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Standing Orders are sent by Faster Payment. SO is the instruction, but FPS is the method.

The sort code and account number on the Bank Giro Credit slip at the bottom of the statement (as mentioned by adindas) are only for paying over the counter with the Bank Giro Credit slip itself, they aren't processed as FPS therefore aren't impacted by the change.

Tesco Bank clear through HSBC therefore any sort code is tied to HSBC.

The FPS details are there for those who don't want to pay by DD or want to send an extra payment every so often.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,150Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter