Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 426Posts
    • 1,357Thanks
    emmie26
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards!
    • 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards! 21st May 17 at 9:15 PM
    Well I’m back…Back in debt and back being a Debt-Free Wannabe!!

I am gutted but need to take some decisive action because at the moment every month we seem to have more going out than is coming in and that is a recipe for financial disaster.

I have been here before. 7 years ago (when I was 26 – hence the name) I grabbed the bull by the horns and knuckled down and cleared my debt. Fast forward 7 years and we are in a slightly different position than the last time. Last time we had built up loads of debt and had literally nothing to show for it. This time the debt was planned.

18 months ago, we had an extension on our home. We went from a typical 1930’s semi with 2 bedrooms and a box room to a large semi with 4 double rooms and a box room, this made good financial sense because we could not find a 4-bedroomed house that we could afford and we liked our location and neighbours.
    To finance the extension, we added £40,000 to our mortgage without increasing the term. We used around £20,000 of savings and for the final finishing touches such as bathrooms and appliances we borrowed £8000 on 0% credit cards. I had read about stoozing and felt that this would save us money on the mortgage interest rates but I did not anticipate that it would stretch us quite as much as it has.

I have just finished reading through the debt-free diary that I completed in 2011 and it has inspired me to jump back into the frugal way of living. I have done it before and I can do it again.

The only difference is that I have got used to having savings in the bank and having a lot of disposable income (we were managing to save around £1000 a month in the run up to the extension). I have not had to watch the pennies for so long but I did quite enjoy it last time and hopefully I will get back into it this time.

I will post a SOA in a separate post, feel free to berate me about my spending and the amount of debt we are in. If anyone can see anywhere we can save please shout up.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £23,124
    debt reduced by 5%
    Debt free date: May 2019
Page 8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 2nd Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 15,272 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Louby,

Oh no to DH's pay having to stretch an extra week!! You can do this though!!

Fab news on you fixing the hutch xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,985 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I really hope the speeding fine is the lower end of the scale.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 3rd Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well NSD today which was sooo hard, I was in such a spendy mood today, I really wanted a trip to home base for some garden things, but I resisted and have instead just sat and enjoyed my garden as it was and did a bit of weeding.
    I've had a think about my shopping budget because I just think it is too low and I realised we are spending about £100 or a third of our shopping budget on meat from the butchers every month. I have decided we have enough in without going to the butchers this week and from now on I think we need to limit our meat to £50 a month to stand any chance of sticking to the £300 a month. We always cook from scratch and my DH has said he doesn't want cheap meat and so we will have to have some meat free days instead which he's happier with. Now I just need some meat free recipes that the kids will eat.

debt reduced by 5%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 4th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Still thinking about the shopping budget today. Today the children have been to MILs for dinner as she collected the youngest from school, DH is at work so it means that there is only me to feed, so I'm going to have poached egg on toast later on, after we've been for a run/kite flying (if it's windy enough).
    Tomorrow the children have a school dinner at lunch time so I'm going to do cheesy beans on toast for dinner and have the same myself.
    I've looked up some veggie recipes I think the children will eat and I think making a vegetable and lentil soup with some crusty bread once a week would go down well and falafel which I have made before would probably be OK as well as things like homemade pizza. I am terrible for throwing away the carcass of the chicken and not stripping it where I think I could probably get enough to add to a paella or a chicken and vegetable curry.

I do feel like it will be easier now that DH is more onboard. Since I've started debt busting he has been filling the gap with things that I would normally pay for, for example the shopping budget or eating/drinking out, but there is only so long he can do this when he only has about £400 a month to pay for his petrol, mobile, subscriptions and everything else. So now I think he is more accepting when I'm saying no to things.

I'm going to go and look for some mystery dining meals out for this weekend which will add a bit of fun with minimal expense

In worse news my MIL who i usually rely on for childcare has just found out that she needs to do jury service for 2 weeks in the school holidays which means I may have to find some cheap childcare

debt reduced by 5%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 6th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well if it doesn't rain it pours!! I was driving to work today and heard a Big Bang and one of my front springs has gone on the car I do a lot of miles in my car for work so I've had to get it to the garage sharpish, it is going to cost me £320 still no sign of the speeding fine but I really don't know how I'm going to afford it all without using the dreaded credit card absolutely gutted that every time I try and save money, life comes along and has other ideas!

debt reduced by 5%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 15,272 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh no Emmie, how much bad luck in one week. Boo to the car and double boo to MIL doing jury service. Hope you can manage to sort something xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 6th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 17,451 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Well if it doesn't rain it pours!! I was driving to work today and heard a Big Bang and one of my front springs has gone on the car I do a lot of miles in my car for work so I've had to get it to the garage sharpish, it is going to cost me £320 still no sign of the speeding fine but I really don't know how I'm going to afford it all without using the dreaded credit card absolutely gutted that every time I try and save money, life comes along and has other ideas!
    Originally posted by emmie26
    It's so hard. Sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 10 steps backwards. Imagine what the debt would be if you hadn't taken steps to get rid of it though.
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €23,499/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€17,499/
    Savings: €400/€1000
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 6th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Oh no Emmie, how much bad luck in one week. Boo to the car and double boo to MIL doing jury service. Hope you can manage to sort something xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks, fingers crossed we can sort something that isn't going to cost a penny.

It's so hard. Sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 10 steps backwards. Imagine what the debt would be if you hadn't taken steps to get rid of it though.
    Originally posted by clearmydebts
    I do try to keep thinking this, I was just so focused on getting the debt down I really don't want to see it staying the same or worse still getting higher but like you say after last month doing so well at least we won't be back where we started with this shocking month.

debt reduced by 5%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 7th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 15,272 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope today has been better Emmie x
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 7th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 14,935 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope today has been better Emmie x
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    From me too x

DFW £718.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £331.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £216.52 + £25 Cash + £45 Amazon
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 7th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thanks MTG, today is definitely better but mostly because it is FRIDAY!!

I've collected my car and paid £320, I've put it on the credit card and then I'm going to sort it out at the end of the month when I know how much the speeding fine is going to be. I do have my emergency savings at least, I keep forgetting about that, I suppose that's a good thing really at least I'm not tempted to dip in to them, I suppose this is what it's for, unexpected essential spending. I just wish we needed an unexpected emergency weekend away instead

Other than the car expense I've had a spend free day. Someone at work has given me some lettuce that needs potting on so I might go and grab a gro-bag at the weekend but hope that will be money saving in the long run even if it's only for the Guinea pigs, we buy a couple of bags of spinach or kale a week, it might be worth having some lettuce continually growing that would reduce the grocery budget by a whole £2 a week haha!

I've finished work early today so I could pick my DD up but I've still got loads of work to do so I'm going to fire up the laptop and do 90mins, whatever isn't done then is going to have to wait until Monday. If I can get a bit of dreaded housework done with the DC's help, we could be all set for when DH gets in from work at about 8.30 and then we can have a nice family weekend

debt reduced by 5%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 8th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Speeding notification has arrived today, I was really hoping that I would get away with it but no such luck However I have fallen into band A which should mean that I am able to do the speed awareness course instead of a fine and this is currently £80 which is a big improvement on the £293 I had worked out from the online calculators. It is not a done deal yet because I’ve got to send back some information and then will find out if they are offering me the course, but in the information they sent it looks like this is an option

I’ve moved money into the savings account today for all big budgeted expenses. The savings account looks like this (I have added one category as I’d forgotten about my professional registration which is around £120 per year):

Christmas: £100
    Holidays: £226.37
    Birthdays: £50
    Dentist: £6.66
    Clothes Kids: £100
    Instruments: £20
    Clothes Me: £50
    Pet Costs: £91
    School Trips: £40
    Car Maintenance: -£392.62
    car tax: £5
    Car Insurance: £100
    Professional fees: £7.50
    Big Days Out: £50

Total: £453.87

I had budgeted car maintenance at £500 per year, we have one car that is a year old and one that is 7 years old but in the last 2 months we have spent £474 so I’m thinking £500 is not going to be enough but I’ll just update at the end of the 12 months because I really can’t add any more to these budgets at the moment so any overspends are going to have to come from one of the other pots. I am putting £608 into the savings account every month, however, because of the massive car maintenance overspend the other pots have been borrowed from, so things like big days out will have to be sacrificed for now.

In better news today when my MIL found out about the car expense (fine and garage) she has said she wanted to give us some money to get a BBQ, as we have had the new patio and outside table so wanted us to enjoy it while the sun was shining, we did tell her no but she has transferred it into DH’s account. We talked about it and I have said I really don’t want to spend a fortune on a new BBQ when we could get a fire pit BBQ for about £30 and then pay the rest off one of the cards. DH was a bit reluctant but has agreed to it because he has not been happy about the date the Direct Debit has been coming out of his account so if he pays £150 and then changes the date of the direct debit then two amounts will come out within days of one another but will help him in the long term.

Had a bit of a spendy day today, have had to pay the window cleaner who we have missed paying for 3 months so owed £30. Went to the school summer fayre and spent around £10 although was a lovely afternoon so not complaining about that. DH has been to the butcher and spend £20 as well as me going to Aldi and spending £24 although I’m hoping this will have us sorted for the week.
    The shopping budget has £18.80 left and I have got £158 of my personal spends left.
    Right now both children are in bed, DH is snoozing on the sofa (he had a few beers today and it always causes narcolepsy) so I am going to pour myself a glass of vino and go and sit outside to enjoy the sunset. Happy weekend everyone!!!
    Last edited by emmie26; 08-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.

debt reduced by 5%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 9th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Bit of a weird day today, DH has not been feeling good and he literally took himself off this morning not telling us where he was going and was out until 2.30pm, he said he had been sitting in the park thinking, I am really worried about him! He phoned a couple of friends to say he wasn't feeling good and he thought something was wrong but them being men said he was fine and not to worry about it I've tried to talk him into going to the doctors but I don't think he will.

While he was out I packed my son up because he is going away with school for the week, I had to go and buy a couple of pairs of shorts so we went to sports direct but as I was picking some shorts the fire alarm went off so we had to leave. We then went to matalan which is next door and as luck would have it there was a half price sale so I brought him 2 pairs of shorts 4 t-shirts, I brought my DD a dress and me a top all for £40, it will come out of the clothes budget.

Right now I'm off to bed, just hoping and praying DH will go to the doctors

debt reduced by 5%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 14,935 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sorry to hear about DH hope he's okay.

Hope DS has a lovely week x

DFW £718.71/£7348.71

• emmie26
    • By emmie26 9th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thanks hidden, I'm going to miss my boy x

debt reduced by 5%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 14,935 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope DS had a lovely week and DH is feeling better
    have a fab weekend x

DFW £718.71/£7348.71

• emmie26
    • By emmie26 14th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thanks hidden, my boy is now home I've missed him loads.

I've had a funny week with DH and here is probably not the best place to go into it, but feeling a bit low really. July is not really my month I think!

I've been on some training today which has been real food for thought, the trainer talked about being conditioned to be unhappy so that we consume products to keep the economy going. This is definitely me, my main weaknesses are beauty products, holidays and house things. No matter what I buy I am always looking for the next thing. Prime example, we are going on holiday abroad for 2 weeks in August, yet tonight I have spent ages looking at different ways I can get another holiday in Wales before we go (I am nuts). Unfortunately on the training they didn't teach you about how you can break the cycle, so it looks like it's up to fellow dfw's to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Ive stayed on the debt free wagon (mostly). I did have one naughty day where I forgot to take my lunch to work and spent £1.90 on a sandwich and then that night fancied some salty sweet popcorn (my new favourite) and so nipped to the shop and ended up spending £30 on toiletries I don't really know what happened really but I got to browsing and before I know it my basket was full!! No more browsing for me.

I've got some cash in my purse which I think will cover what I intend spending this weekend at another summer fayre and then I'm on the home run to payday so hopefully can stay on the straight and narrow.

Looking forward to August and a fresh start!

debt reduced by 5%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 15th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well a day of 2 halves. Firstly the money saving half.
    1. I forgot my purse when I went to the school summer fayre, so could not spend a penny. My children both took their pocket money so the school still did OK out of us.

2. Looked after a friends son while she did some revision and when I dropped him home she gave me some clothes she had brought for their daughter that were too small and they fit my DD perfectly.

3. Had several conversations about what we should do this afternoon, ?bowling, ?cinema, ?meet friends for a meal. In the end my DH dusted off the old wii which had not been used for about 5 years and we all played bowling, tennis etc, whilst eating sweets and drinking Aldi lager (adults only) very mse evening and lots of fun!

Second half not so mse

1. Arranged for the children to go away for a week during the summer hols with grandparents, I can't ask them to pay for it all as they have retired so paid half, £200 taken from the holiday fund, which now has £26 left in it.

2. Had to pay for a train ticket for a weekend we have planned in September £60 taken from the big days out fund, this has -£10 in it.

3. DH was in charge of sorting the cattery for our summer holiday, when I asked him if he had done it he had forgotten which means the only place we could get them in is the most expensive place.

At least all of the money has come out of savings but still a bit gutted that the savings pot is growing very slowly because I keep using it. I'm hoping that after school uniform expense is over we have a couple of cheap months before Christmas.

debt reduced by 5%
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 24,716 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Just think though, a year ago this would all have had to go on the cards. You're doing so well by comparison.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 16th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thanks INOD sometimes it's good to put things into perspective. The debt is going down and we are still doing things, that has got to the best way, just impatient and want it all.

Today I've been to Aldi and spent the last £35 we had left for the shopping, but it is the last full week before payday so I'm hoping we have enough to last. I am going to divide the shopping budget between the weeks next month so that I don't splurge at the beginning of the month and then have nothing for the end. I saw someone write on another diary, that it's best to have a couple of days scrimping than a couple of weeks. DH isn't keen on this idea but I'm going to try and use my powers of persuasion

debt reduced by 5%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,176Posts Today

7,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin