Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 446Posts
    • 1,871Thanks
    emmie26
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards!
    • 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards! 21st May 17 at 9:15 PM
    Well I’m back…Back in debt and back being a Debt-Free Wannabe!!

I am gutted but need to take some decisive action because at the moment every month we seem to have more going out than is coming in and that is a recipe for financial disaster.

I have been here before. 7 years ago (when I was 26 – hence the name) I grabbed the bull by the horns and knuckled down and cleared my debt. Fast forward 7 years and we are in a slightly different position than the last time. Last time we had built up loads of debt and had literally nothing to show for it. This time the debt was planned.

18 months ago, we had an extension on our home. We went from a typical 1930’s semi with 2 bedrooms and a box room to a large semi with 4 double rooms and a box room, this made good financial sense because we could not find a 4-bedroomed house that we could afford and we liked our location and neighbours.
    To finance the extension, we added £40,000 to our mortgage without increasing the term. We used around £20,000 of savings and for the final finishing touches such as bathrooms and appliances we borrowed £8000 on 0% credit cards. I had read about stoozing and felt that this would save us money on the mortgage interest rates but I did not anticipate that it would stretch us quite as much as it has.

I have just finished reading through the debt-free diary that I completed in 2011 and it has inspired me to jump back into the frugal way of living. I have done it before and I can do it again.

The only difference is that I have got used to having savings in the bank and having a lot of disposable income (we were managing to save around £1000 a month in the run up to the extension). I have not had to watch the pennies for so long but I did quite enjoy it last time and hopefully I will get back into it this time.

I will post a SOA in a separate post, feel free to berate me about my spending and the amount of debt we are in. If anyone can see anywhere we can save please shout up.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £19,963
    debt reduced by 18%
    Debt free date: May 2019
Page 5
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 13th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Look on the bright side: my DFD is NINE FREAKING YEARS away . I was here before you, and I'll be here a loooooonnnng time after you
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    I'm Mrs boomerang, I was in debt I cleared it and then I'm back in debt, hopefully this will be it for you and you'll make permanent changes because you'll have stuck to it for nine freaking years

debt reduced by 18%
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    What a flippin day!! Yesterday my DH was supposed to pick my DD up from school but said I might have to get her if he needed to work late because of some big health and safety inspection, in the afternoon I tried calling and texting to see if I needed to pick her up and there was no reply so I assumed that I did and rushed from work to get her, only to find her no where to be seen, I had teachers looking for her but nobody knew where she was. I called home and my DH said he had got her and his phone wasn't working
    Today my DH was picking up except I forgot I'd asked my mum last week to collect her so today my DH has been in school looking for her and my mum had her!! The school must think that we are nuts

To be honest though this is just a sign of my disorganised life. I work full time in a full on job, so does my DH and then I'm a cub leader in my spare time as well as organising get togethers for friends and it my poor family that get the raw deal. Tonight I was supposed to cook chilli for tea but didn't have half the ingredients, I did cook spaghetti bolognese but im just frustrated with myself. The cupboards, fridge and freezer are literally bare and there is hardly any money left in the food kitty, with more than ten days to go until the budget starts again.

Sorry for miserable post, I just wish I was a good housewife and more organised
    Originally posted by emmie26
    What a performance! Don't be hard on yourself - full time work takes up a lot of headspace. And as someone with children who adore cubs and beavers, I have eternal gratitude towards anyone who gives up their precious free time to run the groups. DH and I were having a total rant earlier as he is the only parent to have volunteered to help out with either group this half term (they need helpers for water nights - sea scouts). Such a shame people can't be bothered to give up their time once every six weeks so that these amazing activities can continue.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 13th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Wow we are sea scouts too!

I'm so frustrated with myself tonight, I'll be fine tomorrow I'm sure, as I'm writing this the children are sat painting at the kitchen island and I figure they will survive this chaotic house

debt reduced by 18%
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 26,529 Thanks
    in need of direction
    We all wish for that. Welcome to the club. You now know you have company.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Jun 17, 4:53 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Wow we are sea scouts too!

I'm so frustrated with myself tonight, I'll be fine tomorrow I'm sure, as I'm writing this the children are sat painting at the kitchen island and I figure they will survive this chaotic house
    Originally posted by emmie26
    I reckon they'll make it through
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 14th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    We all wish for that. Welcome to the club. You now know you have company.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thank you, after yesterdays disaster, today I decided I needed to make some changes. I have surgically removed my phone/iPad from my vice like grip and decided to limit myself to 30mins morning and night, to quickly check Facebook, news and most importantly mse I just do not have the time to waste as much as I have been doing!

Last night I cleaned out the kitchen cupboards to see what food I actually did have and I now have a meal plan to last us until the weekend. Tonight we had a pork stir fry using up some meat from the freezer and a sachet of sauce and some noodles I found in the cupboard, tomorrow I am making a cottage pie as we have a big bag of potatoes and some mince in the freezer, Friday I am doing a fish pie, this will again use the potatoes and some frozen fish. I am a bit stuck for Saturday, maybe egg and chips (with the potatoes) but we are going to the in laws Sunday, so will be fed there. I have about £12 of the grocery budget left and we have got to make it until 25th, it is not looking too promising.

Tonight I have had my hair done which cost £62, I am leaving it 7 weeks until I next have it done, which means my hair budget will not be used next month so have £60 to maybe add to the Christmas budget. I have been thinking about the budget and because I have started in June my Christmas budget will only be half full at Christmas so I could do with finding an extra £50 a month until Christmas to make sure that it has enough in. At least July's £50 is covered now.

To do list tomorrow:

> Get up at before 6 to make sure I have enough time to prep cottage pie before work.
    > get a load of washing on in the morning
    > stick to the 1hr of Internet.
    > carry on cleaning out cupboards (10 more mins)

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 15th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well I slept through my alarm doh what a great start!!

I woke at 6.30 but I have managed to make the children some American pancakes for breakfast and then I've just made the cottage pie, I'm just waiting for the potatoes and carrots to cook and then I'll assemble it. My internet time has had to be cut to a quick 10 mins to make up for my lie in

Today should be a nsd, it's lovely and sunny and I am out of the office all day seeing lovely people in their homes, so feeling really good - oh and for one morning I've managed to be a good housewife

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 15th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well my cottage pie went down a storm, my DH was in such a good mood tonight because I'd made it before work (I always say I'll do things and then run out of time, so I think he was in shock) and we had a chilled out evening until I went to cubs... I am still owed £30 from one of the parents, which is driving me mad, I am looking forward to doing my first end of month statement and I want that £30 paid off one of the cards, I have been promised that he will give it to me next week! I am not counting on it until it is in my grubby mitt.

Tomorrow our new car is going in for its 1st service, I have absolutely no idea how much it will cost, I did ask the guy at the garage and he said he wasn't sure I'm hoping it is no more than £150, which is more than I've got in the budget but I can borrow a bit of xmas budget and pay it back next month

I am hoping for a sunny weekend because I want to do some painting in the garden. 3 years ago I made some pallet furniture and painted it black, it did look fab but it is looking like a pile of pallets at the moment and as we are having a new patio done next week I want to give them a lick of paint so they don't look out of place. My MIL asked if we were finally getting rid of them (she hates them) but I love it, I got some foam and made covers and we have some massive cushions from ikea along the back. We have spent many an evening sitting in the garden with a g&t and they are so comfy, so I'm going to just space them up a little. My DH said we have the paint in the shed so I'm just hoping it is still ok because I don't want to spend any money.

I am really counting down until pay day at the min, I can't wait, I want to update my signature but until the last few things have gone out of the account and I have got to the end of the month I darent.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Jun 17, 5:11 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Hope the car service is cheap! Pallet furniture sounds ace, I was admiring some on Pinterest just the other day. We used to have an amazing old sofa (inside) that my MIL hated so much that she gave us £500 on the condition that we used it exclusively for a new sofa when we moved house a couple of years ago . She only visits about twice a year and it bothered her that much.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 16th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Haha TOPM - I hope my MIL hates it that much, I could do with £500 although I would put it towards an outside table that she could sit at and keep the pallet furniture

Had such a hectic morning today, got up and made the fish pie for tonight, put a load of washing on and put a clean load away, tidied and brushed the floor all through downstairs and then took the car to the garage before taking DD to school. I am after some brownie points from my DH, we are going to see some of my family tonight and I want him to drive so I can have a drink

Happy Friday!!

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 16th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well car service was £156 which DH paid, he will put less into the joint account on pay day to compensate for this. I have £500 budgeted for both cars maintenance for the year, as this is the new car I'm hoping we don't have to spend any more on this one and the £350 will pay for service and mot of the older car.

I have spent £5.60 of my money on a bottle of wine tonight to take to see family, this leaves me with £32 of my budget to last the rest of the month.

We did get to speaking about next years may half term holiday and it looks like the cottage we will stay in will cost us around £850, I have budgeted £2500 for holidays throughout the year, so essentially if we go away in May it means we have no chance of a holiday abroad next year I think I've been living in dream world thinking we could do it all, let's hope it's just for the one year and maybe 2019 we can go abroad again. I think me expecting all these things has what has got us into this mess, as though a holiday abroad is a necessity

Right I'm off to get a quick cuppa and I'm determined to have an early night because I've got such a busy day planned for myself tomorrow, I think I'll try and do another load of washing before bed so that I can peg it out first thing and make the lost of the sun.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Jun 17, 10:32 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,372 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you manage an early night, and have a lovely weekend
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 17th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Right I'm up and at 'em, I've had a brew and wrote a mahoosive to do list for myself for the week which will hopefully keep me organised.
    • Clear patio
    • Paint pallet furniture
    • Paint door of downstairs loo
    • Sort out paperwork and filing
    • List shoes on Facebook or eBay (I've still no got round to this)
    • Go through DC's wardrobes and make list of what clothes are needed for summer hols.
    • Get Father's Day treats DH, FIL, Dad - possibly bake cakes
    • Close savings accounts (found 2 Britannia books with small amounts in)
    • Meal plan for the week and buy essentials
    • Weed garden borders
    • Book a days holiday from work for sports day
    • Sort childcare, so we actually know who is picking DD up

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 17th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    - Clear patio - one trip to the incinerator and the rest moved to another part of the garden. This has been a dumping ground since the extension so it's good to see it looking clear.
    - Paint pallet furniture helped by DD, found a full tub of wood stain in the shed so didn't need to spend anything.
    - Paint door of downstairs loo
    - Sort out paperwork and filing got a bit of shredding to do but otherwise sorted. I had added this to the list because I needed to find DS's PIN number but still haven't found it, I think we'll have to ask for a new one.
    - List shoes on Facebook or eBay (I've still no got round to this)
    - Go through DC's wardrobes and make list of what clothes are needed for summer hols.
    - Get Father's Day treats DH, FIL, Dad - possibly bake cakes spent £5 on DH and £5 on my dad, just got some real ales and some nibble bits from Aldi, this is way less than I usually get my dad I hope it's ok!
    - Close savings accounts (found 2 Britannia books with small amounts in)
    - Meal plan for the week and buy essentials decided on chicken and veg curry, lasagne, sausage and jacket, pork baps, fajitas, chicken dinner (Sunday), this will take us until payday. I spent £15 at Aldi on essentials and DH went to the butchers. The £15 has had to come out of my own money so that added to the £5 for my dad means I have £12 to last me until 26th.
    - Weed garden borders cleared 8m in the blistering heat but then had to call it a night as I was shattered and had loads of other things to do.
    - Book a days holiday from work for sports day
    - Sort childcare, so we actually know who is picking DD up DH Monday and Tuesday, me Wednesday, my mum Thursday and MIL Friday. It's written down now so hopefully no disasters

I've had to pay the deposit for next years may holiday today so £273 has come out of the holiday budget. There was only £250 in the holiday budget for this month but we won't have to pay any more holiday money until next year so it will build up.

I've had a day of almost falling off the wagon I've been looking at garden furniture sets because I really want a table, I was going to take the money out of my emergency savings and not say anything on the forum, but then I realised I'm on here for a reason, to keep me on the straight and narrow and I can't have everything all at once. To stop me from being naughty at the end of the month I am going to do a summary of my debt and savings so that I can't lie. I was never really truthful about the savings because I sort of see it as 'available' or 'spare' money and at the moment there is no such thing. I AM IN DEBT
    Last edited by emmie26; 17-06-2017 at 9:58 PM.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,372 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You didn't take from the emergency fund and you stopped yourself. I think most would be lying if they said they'd never been tempted by something.

As for being honest about the savings on here, again that's up to you. The main thing is be honest to yourself about the debt and savings.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 17th Jun 17, 10:42 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You didn't take from the emergency fund and you stopped yourself. I think most would be lying if they said they'd never been tempted by something.

As for being honest about the savings on here, again that's up to you. The main thing is be honest to yourself about the debt and savings.
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Me and my conscience have a weird relationship where we will lie to one another, I need the forum to be my conscience until I've reset
    Last edited by emmie26; 17-06-2017 at 11:36 PM.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Radish72
    • By Radish72 18th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    What it is with you and tables (I only shout at you about tables apparently )

Well done for resisting though and not taking the money out of your emergency fund
    Mortgage Aug12 £165K, May17 £47800
    OP's in 2017 £3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 £3000/£500 (16%)
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,372 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Do your ebay listings then that money could go to a table guilt free
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 18th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    What it is with you and tables (I only shout at you about tables apparently )

Well done for resisting though and not taking the money out of your emergency fund
    Originally posted by Radish72
    Haha I am obsessed with tables I think I've found my weak spot, the irony is I'm not a very good cook, so what I intend to do at the table I do not know
    My mission now is to get enough money to get the table, it's only cheap £299 so will probably fall apart by next year when I can buy myself another table

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 18th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Do your ebay listings then that money could go to a table guilt free
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    That needs to be today's mission, operation outside table is in action!

debt reduced by 18%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,960Users online

Martin's Twitter