Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 446Posts
    • 1,871Thanks
    emmie26
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards!
    • 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards! 21st May 17 at 9:15 PM
    Well I’m back…Back in debt and back being a Debt-Free Wannabe!!

I am gutted but need to take some decisive action because at the moment every month we seem to have more going out than is coming in and that is a recipe for financial disaster.

I have been here before. 7 years ago (when I was 26 – hence the name) I grabbed the bull by the horns and knuckled down and cleared my debt. Fast forward 7 years and we are in a slightly different position than the last time. Last time we had built up loads of debt and had literally nothing to show for it. This time the debt was planned.

18 months ago, we had an extension on our home. We went from a typical 1930’s semi with 2 bedrooms and a box room to a large semi with 4 double rooms and a box room, this made good financial sense because we could not find a 4-bedroomed house that we could afford and we liked our location and neighbours.
    To finance the extension, we added £40,000 to our mortgage without increasing the term. We used around £20,000 of savings and for the final finishing touches such as bathrooms and appliances we borrowed £8000 on 0% credit cards. I had read about stoozing and felt that this would save us money on the mortgage interest rates but I did not anticipate that it would stretch us quite as much as it has.

I have just finished reading through the debt-free diary that I completed in 2011 and it has inspired me to jump back into the frugal way of living. I have done it before and I can do it again.

The only difference is that I have got used to having savings in the bank and having a lot of disposable income (we were managing to save around £1000 a month in the run up to the extension). I have not had to watch the pennies for so long but I did quite enjoy it last time and hopefully I will get back into it this time.

I will post a SOA in a separate post, feel free to berate me about my spending and the amount of debt we are in. If anyone can see anywhere we can save please shout up.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £19,963
    debt reduced by 18%
    Debt free date: May 2019
Page 3
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 4th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,377 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I wish I was that organised all looking good
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good budget Emmie but I would have an additional category for emergency savings. Did you cost up whether it was worth continuing with the £15 bank fee or get whatever they offer separately?
    4 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • BEAT THE DEBT
    • By BEAT THE DEBT 4th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    BEAT THE DEBT
    Hi have you got anything down for vets? Hi by the way following and enjoying as you sound like me
    Started comping 2nd May 16. Wins so far... May was
    cat wormer ^.^ Rose hamper from m&s. Heal cream. June cool bag. July febreeze win for review Minky £100 ironing bundle. August. Handmade throw fbk.
    Sept,a canvas print and cushion fb. A window cleaner tool fb. Oct: A diamond ring keyring. Nov. Foot care bundle, sonic toothbrush.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 5th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26

I wish I was that organised all looking good
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity

HI you are way more organised than me I am one of those people that spends ages doing a revision timetable, with highlighters and a laminator and then never gets round to the actual revision. The hard work is actually sticking to the budget which I have not got a good track record with.

Good budget Emmie but I would have an additional category for emergency savings. Did you cost up whether it was worth continuing with the £15 bank fee or get whatever they offer separately?
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

ES I do have some emergency savings, I have £1800 which have never mentioned in case everyone said I should pay it off the debt £1800 is a months wages for me so thought this would be enough, what do you reckon?

Hi have you got anything down for vets? Hi by the way following and enjoying as you sound like me
    Originally posted by BEAT THE DEBT

I have not got anything for the vet but this may have to come out of the pet costs budget and we would have to make savings somewhere else if anything came up I will go in search of your diary now if we have some similarities. I am spending most of my spare time on here as I want to make sure I stay on the straight and narrow and do not get distracted by my big spender 'real life' friends.

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 5th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    New Job
    Well today was my first day in a new department at work, I'm hoping it is a good career move, up to yet I think I'm going to like it, there is a lot of work to get done but they are very flexible about how it gets done and are happy for me to be flexible with my hours which is a winner

Today I have had to spend £5.20 at Mr T because we had ran out of mayo, teabags, dry cat food and ham, I went for all the budget items but it has still left us with only £37.80 to last the month that is not going to happen

Tonight I cooked curry for dinner which will do us for tomorrow, DH has done lunch boxes for the children. Plan to do a full English for dinner tomorrow with some meat from the butchers pack.

I have had an idea for a money making, I am going to get a merlin pass with some tesco vouchers and sell it to my BIL, I'm not sure how much to charge him but either way it is some extra pennies.
    I've still not heard about the extra £80 owed, I have sent a message tonight but heard nothing back yet, I hate chasing money

Right I am off to get ready for bed, my DH did not sleep well last night, so this meant I didn't sleep well, I have just taken DD to piano lessons and was falling asleep, every time she played loud chords I was jolting awake

debt reduced by 18%
    • Radish72
    • By Radish72 6th Jun 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    I have found you and subscribed

Will read your diary when I get back from work (and tell you off )
    Mortgage Aug12 £165K, May17 £47800
    OP's in 2017 £3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 £3000/£500 (16%)
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 6th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    I have found you and subscribed

Will read your diary when I get back from work (and tell you off )
    Originally posted by Radish72
    Can't wait I've missed my tellings off from you

debt reduced by 18%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 17,975 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the new department at work Emmie, I love a bit of flexibility!!!

How annoying about the money, I think you should chase again. £80 is not to be sniffed at xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Radish72
    • By Radish72 6th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    I'm pretty sure I didn't tell you off , maybe more along the lines of encouragement but its been a while, so I'll deny all knowledge if you someone manage to quote from your old diary

And yes in the 7 years that have flown by, we sold 2 houses and bought the big house, which we will have been in for 5 years this August (and he is still alive)

So get chasing up that £80 that you are owed

And how can anyone run out of tea-bags, I get palpitations when we get down to about 200 left

Looking forward to cheering you on from the sidelines
    Mortgage Aug12 £165K, May17 £47800
    OP's in 2017 £3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 £3000/£500 (16%)
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 7th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Radish I'm pretty sure there was a moment with a dining table previously you definitely kept me good, I should have gone straight to the mfw board, maybe that would have kept me good

Well I chased the £80 and she has told me she has sent it to my bank but it is not showing up which is unusual as they normally ping straight in!! I'll leave it three days just in case her bank is being slow and then I'll have to ask again I am not organising anything ever again (until the next time )

Yesterday I had to go to aldi again spent another £5.60 on crisps, beans, milk, yoghurts and something else but I can't remember.
    Today has been the first NSD of the week
    I've chucked a chicken casserole in the slow cooker this morning and I am just off to throw some gravy in it because it's looking a bit anaemia and watery, I am not the best cook

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 7th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Right it's time to get active, I've been a real lazy trout tonight.

I have two ideas to raise some cash to help pay off some debts.

1. Ordering a merlin pass with my tesco vouchers and selling it to my BIL

2. Going through the shoe cupboard and doing some selling. My daughters feet have grown about 3 sizes in the last 6 months so she has loads of shoes that no longer fit her and we have kept every pair of walking boots the children have ever owned. The only thing is walking boots are heavy so I don't want to put them on eBay, I might try a local selling page first.

I'm also going to do an inventory of all the food in the house to see how many meals I have and what food shopping we really NEED to do at the weekend.
    I've just had an email from school to say that DD school meal account is overdrawn so I need to put some money in, the only problem is it will have to wait until morning as today is a NSD

debt reduced by 18%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 7th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,377 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I sold the kids shoes they'd outgrown on ebay recently. They did quite well!! I was surprised considering what the postage cost but they still got several bids!

Good luck
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    [QUOTE=emmie26;72653515]

ES I do have some emergency savings, I have £1800 which have never mentioned in case everyone said I should pay it off the debt £1800 is a months wages for me so thought this would be enough, what do you reckon?

That is a reasonable size emergency fund. When the debt is gone you should aim for 3-6 months expenses. I would not use it to pay off the debt.
    4 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 7th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thanks enthusiastic saver, I will definitely do this in 2020 when I am debt free

I sold the kids shoes they'd outgrown on ebay recently. They did quite well!! I was surprised considering what the postage cost but they still got several bids!

Good luck
    Oh that's good then I really didn't think people would pay for the postage, I've got 5 pairs out of the cupboard. The walking boots need washing I've not put them in the washing machine yet because it will make a racket so I'll put them in while we are out tomorrow.

I've ordered the merlin voucher and my BIL is going to send over £100 only problem is he might send it to my DH's account so I'll have to get it back

My DH has been food shopping tonight as he was sick of the fridge being empty, however when I asked if he had spent all the money he said he hadn't used the grocery money because he realised he had taken some of the cash out before we went on holiday we usually draw the £300 cash out at the beginning of the month and leave it in a separate wallet, we are both terrible for dipping into it when we need cash trouble is we then don't know if we've stuck to the budget. Next month I am making sure nobody uses it, because I'm going to hide it

debt reduced by 18%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 17,975 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Emmie,

3 sizes in 6 months , hope you can make some money from the old shoes.

Hope DH didn't spend too much money last night! My DH spent £10 in Mr T's on face wash and jelly today . I pointed out to him that thats a 1/4 of how much I spent on lots more in Mr Al's yesterday... men xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 10th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Afternoon Emmie,

Hope DH didn't spend too much money last night! My DH spent £10 in Mr T's on face wash and jelly today . I pointed out to him that thats a 1/4 of how much I spent on lots more in Mr Al's yesterday... men xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    I don't know how much he spent but it came out of his own spends for the month

Yesterday was a bit of an expensive day £37 on petrol which is £3 under budget for the month. This budget may have to go up as I'm doing loads more miles at work and so may need a bit more, however I will get a mileage payment from work so hopefully it will work out.

I also put £41.25 on the dinner money accounts, the children only have dinners once a week as a treat, I have budgeted £24 a month, however there is a minimum amount you can put on my DS's card so I decided to put enough on to last them until they break up for summer, so that should be the last time I have to top them up until September I have got £20 a month on school trips and as there are no school trips this month I'm going to use that and then put double in the kitty next month.

Today I have spent £1.50 on eggs from someone at work and £5 on the tea and coffee kitty, I have added the £5 a month into my budget, it's £1 a week but I'll allow for a 5 week month .

Tonight we have had a special treat, my MIL had brought all the ingredients and prepared a meal and left it in the kitchen for my children. She wrote down the instructions for how to cook it and then my children (mainly my DD) have cooked a 3 course meal for me and DH for our wedding anniversary. They laid the table and put flowers in a vase, it was very cute. They also served us some prosecco and only called me into the kitchen when they needed help to get something out of the oven. It was a lovely and a perfect gift, it was much better than eating out, they even cleaned the kitchen afterwards.

debt reduced by 18%
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 10th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Today's spends

£20 on a birthday present for children's party
    £4 shampoo and conditioner
    £1.80 cards

25.80 total

This leaves me with around £55 to last the month.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,377 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Last night sounds like it was a lovely treat

Have you managed to get your ebay listings on?

Have a lovely day
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 8,952 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    What lovely children (and MIL).
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 10th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Last night sounds like it was a lovely treat

Have you managed to get your ebay listings on?

Have a lovely day
    I haven't got my eBay listings on I'm nervous I have washed the walking boots and they are just drying, I am determined to do it tomorrow though. I always find Sunday is a good day for eBay.

I'm having a quite lazy day (again) hope you are having a good one xx

debt reduced by 18%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,037Posts Today

9,578Users online

Martin's Twitter