Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 446Posts
    • 1,871Thanks
    emmie26
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards!
    • 21st May 17, 9:15 PM
    Oops I did it again, I played with my cards! 21st May 17 at 9:15 PM
    Well I’m back…Back in debt and back being a Debt-Free Wannabe!!

I am gutted but need to take some decisive action because at the moment every month we seem to have more going out than is coming in and that is a recipe for financial disaster.

I have been here before. 7 years ago (when I was 26 – hence the name) I grabbed the bull by the horns and knuckled down and cleared my debt. Fast forward 7 years and we are in a slightly different position than the last time. Last time we had built up loads of debt and had literally nothing to show for it. This time the debt was planned.

18 months ago, we had an extension on our home. We went from a typical 1930’s semi with 2 bedrooms and a box room to a large semi with 4 double rooms and a box room, this made good financial sense because we could not find a 4-bedroomed house that we could afford and we liked our location and neighbours.
    To finance the extension, we added £40,000 to our mortgage without increasing the term. We used around £20,000 of savings and for the final finishing touches such as bathrooms and appliances we borrowed £8000 on 0% credit cards. I had read about stoozing and felt that this would save us money on the mortgage interest rates but I did not anticipate that it would stretch us quite as much as it has.

I have just finished reading through the debt-free diary that I completed in 2011 and it has inspired me to jump back into the frugal way of living. I have done it before and I can do it again.

The only difference is that I have got used to having savings in the bank and having a lot of disposable income (we were managing to save around £1000 a month in the run up to the extension). I have not had to watch the pennies for so long but I did quite enjoy it last time and hopefully I will get back into it this time.

I will post a SOA in a separate post, feel free to berate me about my spending and the amount of debt we are in. If anyone can see anywhere we can save please shout up.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £19,963
    debt reduced by 18%
    Debt free date: May 2019
Page 12
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Aug 17, 6:25 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Great news So pleased for you!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you're behaving in your silence
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 15th Aug 17, 7:44 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    I am behaving thanks Hidden. I did write out a really long post yesterday and then realized it was a boring load of rubbish so didn't post

I think that I was on a bit of a downer and maybe still am. I had a weekend with some of my oldest friends and as much as I love them they are the most materialistic and money orientated people I know and I come away from them feeling not great

I am dragging my myself out of it by thinking of all the lovely things that I have done with the children over the last week, that have been free or very low cost. I went back to Wales last Thursday afternoon until Friday night (It was a long way to go for a day and a bit). We went crabbing, kite flying on the beach and built sandcastles. Then on Saturday we went to Warwick Castle (using the Merlin Pass) with a picnic which was another lovely day.

I did have a nice time Saturday night I just bore of the conversation sometimes. All of our friends have houses that are double or triple or quadruple the value of our house. They drive brand new sports cars/SUV and to be honest I feel like we can't contribute to the conversation. We have no desire to ever move house and love it where we are and when we buy a car we choose one that is good value for money and economical to run, so sometimes I just feel that we are looked down on. Maybe that's my problem not theirs though.

Anyway enough moaning or else I'll delete the post again

So in conclusion I have been good (I think)

debt reduced by 18%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh Emmie, what a nightmare for you with your friends!!! I can't be doing with people who constantly go on about what they've got and how much things cost! Im just happy for everyone for what they have!

Other than the above your weekend with the kids sounds great xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Aug 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    BUT But think .. In a couple of years you'll be debt free, have savings and enjoy everything without having to worry. It's surprising how many people have 'debt' and keep it secret. Living the high life to the outside but a huge amount of debt behind closed doors.

Either way, Money doesn't mean happiness, what makes some happy won't make others happy. As long as you've had fun, enjoyed what you've done and made memories with your smalls. It doesn't matter that it was free.

Hope that makes sense x
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 18th Aug 17, 2:17 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope all ok with you Emmie xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Aug 17, 11:06 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Fantastic about the job! Here's hoping it all comes together.

Wales sounds lovely too. Kites and beaches should be in all children's memories. Much better than flash cars at the end of the day.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 6th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Well hello there, I'm back.

Sorry for my absence, we have been on a very lovely holiday which has included no spreadsheets, no bills and no moneysaving because we took no money, it has been pure bliss.

We returned last night and it is straight away back to work and school today. I am straight back into watching the pennies though. I have had to bite the bullet and contact my energy supplier today and increase my direct debit, I have looked at all other options and this seems the most sensible to make sure we don't have an astronomical bill after the winter. It as increased our monthly amount by £45 a month boo!!
    To counter this I have today cancelled one of the children's mobile sims as my son lost his mobile phone and when I looked at what both children were using it is not worth getting another phone. I have instead told them they need to share the phone if they are going out and about and need it. They both have Ipads which is what they use to message and FaceTime their friends if needed so I really feel they could cope without the mobile. I have also reduced the amount of data and minutes on the other sim. So I have gone from 2 sims at about £15 each to one sim at £6 per month, which is fabulous.

I have had a message about one of the things that I put on a Facebook selling page ages ago, so hopefully will have another £10 winging its way to me.

I'm looking forward to catching up on a few diaries tomorrow and am determined to make sure I keep posting to keep me on the straight and narrow, but for tonight I am going to power down and jump into my lovely bed which I have missed terribly.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It sounds like a perfect holiday .

That's a great saving on the mobiles and I think you're wise to pre-empt the fuel bills, however painful it seems at this moment. If we by any chance have a mild winter it will still stand you in good stead, but it seems a while since we had a really cold winter so there might be one due.

I hope the 'straight back in' isn't too much of a contrast.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Sep 17, 5:08 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,182 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I feel like it's been a case of jumping back into the deep end this week, with getting back to work and school and the end of the hols. Annoying about the DD but as Cherry says, it will be worth it if the winter is cold.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 7th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Forgot you were going away Emmie, glad youve had a lovely time away xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 8th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    M2G - I didn't advertise the fact I was going away too much, I felt like a debt free diary was not the place to talk about an all inclusive holiday (oops) in my defense it was booked in January and I was firmly in debt denial at that point with a tax rebate burning a hole in my pocket. it was lovely though and I doubt we will be able to do it for a couple of years now so we made the most of it.

TOPM - It has been a shocker trying to get back into the swing of things but at the same time I do love the start of the school term I feel like we are all starting with really good intentions, the kids do their homework and practice their instruments without being nagged (much), I get up early and make sure the house is spotless before work and DH makes lovely lunches for everybody.

Cherryfudge - It has been a bit of a shock to the system but I am just glad I got to go on holiday so feel very grateful. You are right about the gas and elec though, if I didn't increase it you would bet it would be a freezing cold winter wouldn't it.
    I am being careful with using the tumble drier though.

Tomorrow I have my speed awareness course at 8am and I am supposed to be going out with some fellow school mums for a few drinks tonight. I really need to be restrained I cannot turn up to the course with a raging hangover lol.
    I think I may drive so that I can scoot off early and don't spend too much.
    Tomorrow night I am babysitting for a friend while she and her hubby take my DH out, I was supposed to go as well but I have to go to church Sunday morning (long story) and I cant hack two nights in a row out.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

debt reduced by 18%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Glad you enjoyed your holiday Emmie, we all need this every now and then and you enjoyed it which is the main thing.

Hope you keep sensible tonight xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 10th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Good Evening, hope everyone had a lovely weekend. I have had some money saving successes and some unavoidable expenditure.
    Friday night was a great, I decided to drive, I think the stars aligned to make this happen. I was running late because I have been trying not to use my tumble drier as much so had put my jeans on the clothes airer two days before. When I came to put them on just as I was going out I realised they were still soaking wet!! I had to text my friends to say I would be running late and throw them in the drier. By the time I left the house I thought if I walked I would be massively late so decided to drive, thinking I may leave my car, but after a couple of mocktails I was having a great time so decided who needs alcohol! I spent a grand total of £4 all night and had a real laugh.
    Saturdays speed awareness course was a hoot!! It was nothing like I was expecting and actually has made me change how I drive, I am very consciously trying to drive more slowly (we’ll see how long that lasts). After the course though I had to go and get a couple of bits for school which ended up costing an arm and a leg. My DS needed some new school trousers, he goes to a grammar school where they have to have specific trousers, that are not cheap and I thought he could wear some that a friend had given to him which are the right length, but he is just too thin. He also had rugby Saturday morning for school and his rugby boots were so tight they had given him blisters, his gum shield wouldn’t fit properly as he has had some teeth through, so by the end of the afternoon I was £80 lighter but it was all necessary so can’t worry about it too much.
    Saturday night I babysat for my friend’s children which was fine, they play really well with my children and have known each other forever so its fab and what’s more I spent no money as they played together and watched a movie.
    Today I have had a day pottering round and doing a bit of housework, I have had to do a food shop this afternoon and spent £50, but I’m hoping it’s enough to last the week.
    I just realised I never did a summary at the end of August, but because I get paid in 16 days I think I will wait until then. Although I am still focused on the debt busting, all my debt are on 0% now so I am going to try and increase my savings as I’ve realised that although I am saving £608 a month for things such as Christmas, car maintenance, holidays, etc a lot of these have had to be paid over the last couple of months which has meant that I have had to use money from other pots and I have 4 pots that are in minus figures theoretically, if possible I would love it if I could get all pots out of the red by the end of the year, giving me a fresh start in January.
    Right I am off to bed now, night night.

debt reduced by 18%
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Sep 17, 5:37 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,182 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Savings pots are tricky to build up, aren't they? I guess it's fine once they've actually built a little, but I find that I need to, say, pay for the car MOT before the MOT pot has had a chance to build, so I need to tap another pot, and so on and so on. I'm not really succeeding in getting out of that cycle, but hopefully one day!

Expensive days like that are tiresome, but there are some things that just need buying regardless of how you feel about spending.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 11th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    That's exactly it TOPM. Our car maintenance budget is £500 a year and in 3 months I've spent about £450, but I'm hoping that will be it for the year as servicing and MOT has all been completed now. It just means the actual saving pot had less in it than I should have available for things like christmas. I'm going to try and save a little extra here and there to get all the pots in positive figures by the new year but I think this may be optimistic as I don't really have a lot of 'spare' money.

debt reduced by 18%
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Sounds like you had a lovely busy but nice weekend Emmie.

I hope this week is good to you! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,065 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope all ok with you Emmie xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 30th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Me too Emmie we miss you x
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 7th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Thank you guys. Sorry I have been rubbishy at posting I have had a really stressful few weeks and literally couldn't fit in posting, a couple of times I have started to, but then ran out of time so deserted it half way through. I also am struggling to keep up with everyone else's diaries, I go to check them out and have no idea what's going on.

Some of the stress has slightly lifted, my daughter had to sit the 11+ to go to the same high school as my son and it is just a horrible time, so much stress for the children even when you really try not to make it a big deal, my daughter really wanted to go to the same school as her brother and it is also our closest school and the only one she would be able to walk to that isn't private (which we obviously can't afford ). Anyway we found out yesterday that she passed, so that is a huge relief!

I have had to start training for my new job and start my law masters this week, which is very frightening and running the cub group has been a bit of a nightmare, we have had two camps to organise and attend and I just feel like I am living my life on pure adrenaline at the moment.

This morning is the first time in ages that I have been able to have a lie in and I feel so much better for it, I really need to look after myself a bit more and try not to over commit I think.

In money news, I think we have been good, we are just plodding along. I will try and do a summary later today to update where we are at, I must say though our savings pots are doing crap. I was organising a quite expensive camp for cubs and paid on my credit card for some protection. I have had all the money from parents but it came in dries and drabs so I put the odd £20 in my purse and then didn't know what was mine and what was for the trip, anyway this month I am left with £218 which I have received, but don't have, so must have spent doh! This means what should have been a good month for some overpayments into the saving pots is now a bad month of just about scraping even.

I'm sorry it's been a hit of a negative post, I'm hoping I'll feel a bit more positive after a chilled out weekend.

debt reduced by 18%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin