Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emski15
    • By emski15 21st May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 5Thanks
    emski15
    County Court with Smart Parking
    • 21st May 17, 6:58 PM
    County Court with Smart Parking 21st May 17 at 6:58 PM
    Hi all,
    I was issued with a PCN from Smart Parking in December 2016. I parked on Matalan car park for 16 minutes and thought parking was free after 6pm as it was before SP took over, and the local car parks still are. I appealed, foolishly admitted to being the driver, and very naively thought they would have compassion for a genuine error. I always buy a ticket, never been in any sort of trouble before. I have now received a letter from the Northampton county court and I'm so scared, the amount is now £245. I've read the thread about defending myself but I really don't understand it all and don't know what to say or do, the wording and terminology of all the different laws is so difficult to understand. I would unbelievably grateful for any help or advice in defending.
    Last edited by emski15; 01-06-2017 at 2:21 PM. Reason: mistype
Page 3
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 50,101 Posts
    • 63,486 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Pah, no worries, send it to SCS law.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• emski15
    • By emski15 1st Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    emski15
    DONE! Thanks Coupon-mad
    • emski15
    • By emski15 9th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    emski15
    Just an update, heard from the solicitors today, SP are pursuing the claim.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 40,304 Posts
    • 80,504 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Yes she is, I can usually get these stopped with the first appeal but the invoice appeared over the Christmas holidays so we missed the popla deadline by one day as we were both away but overlapping.

I have sent a very robust response to the LBC asking to clarify certain details and state their claim on my mums behalf.

The 14 day deadline passed 2 days ago and as of yet we have heard no response.
    Originally posted by timpster
    You should mention when you have your day in court that only allowing 28 days to appeal to PoPLA is a breach of the Alternative Dispute Regulations Act (ADR) 2015 which says that ADR should be allowed for not less than twelve months.

Court could and should have been avoided if PoPLA didn't ignore the will of Parliament.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • emski15
    • By emski15 12th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    emski15
    My mum has just had the LBC for the same car park, I have pictures of the signs in place before they were removed if you need them.
    Originally posted by timpster
    Hi Timpster, I am in court in a few weeks, could you possibly send me the pictures if you still have them. I need to send all my documentation to the lawyers and courts this week.

Many thanks.
    • emski15
    • By emski15 17th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    emski15
    Hi, despite my best efforts (and yours), I now have a court date and need to provide my defence evidence to Smart and the courts.

I have no idea where to start!

I have stated poor signage (it was dark and rainy and none of the signs are illuminated, AND small print). Do I need to print out 2 full copies of the IPC CoP and send to them both? I have also quoted the Claimants Trade Association CoP, will I need to print off 2 full copies of this as well?

Can I email my evidence to the courts and Smart as I'm short on time?

I really don't want to lose by making a small error this far down the line!

Thanks in advance.

PS. I should probably add, I've read the newbies post down to the court references and followed the links, but I am still at a loss. I'm recovering from glandular fever so my mind is not fully functional.
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 17th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    Lamilad
    When does your bundle need to be sent - What is your court date?
    • emski15
    • By emski15 17th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    emski15
    3rd October so I need to email it tomorrow. I wouldn't have left it to the last minute if I hadn't been so ill.

Do I need to include a witness statement from myself? How do I layout the evidence?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 22,941 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Everything you need relating to dealing with a small claims court claim is contained in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2.

Please read and go through it thoroughly - that should be your Bible as your case progresses.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 50,101 Posts
    • 63,486 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I was issued with a PCN from Smart Parking in December 2016. I parked on Matalan car park for 16 minutes and thought parking was free after 6pm as it was before SP took over, and the local car parks still are. I appealed, foolishly admitted to being the driver, and very naively thought they would have compassion for a genuine error. I always buy a ticket,
    Just bringing forward the reason for the PCN and the fact you've already said who was driving, which is probably why they are taking this further than normal. This is more of a struggle than it ever should have been, but we are where we are, and it is worth fighting.

Show us a simple WS that says what happened, and that there were not very prominent signs that alerted you to the change to the previous free parking after 6pm, which is contrary to the BPA CoP.

Show is as well, what evidence you intend to file with the WS - e.g. signage pics - even better, lack of signs in some areas which is OF COURSE the corner you stopped at...! Also the BPA CoP on grace periods and the BPA CoP on the requirement to clearly sign any new/change of restrictions so local drivers are alerted to a change they would not otherwise know to look for.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin