Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • book12
    • By book12 21st May 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,515Posts
    • 554Thanks
    book12
    New Xbox out by the end of the year
    • 21st May 17, 12:07 PM
    New Xbox out by the end of the year 21st May 17 at 12:07 PM
    A new Xbox (Project Scorpio) is coming out near the end of the year. More details to be revealed at E3 on 11 June, where we will know what the console looks like, price, release and preorder date, etc...

Rumours indicate that it will be more than £500.

Reading some articles it disappoint me because:

1. Most people haven't heard of the new console coming out (despite articles about the being out along time ago).
    2. People aren't interested in getting one (including people who already have a 4k tv with 'Xbox One S). They don't see or feel much difference between the One S and Scorpio when comparing the specs.
    3. Too expensive for a games console.

Specs of the console cam be viewed here - http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/project-scorpio

In my opinion it's a good console to buy despite the rumoured price. If buying a first games console and want an Xbox instead of Playstation, go for and wait for the Scorpio. Worth while in the long term and worth the wait. If you don't want to spend that much or want an Xbox now, go for the Xbox One S, as at the end of the day it serves the purpose that you can play games on it.

Anyone here would want to upgrade their Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Xbox One S for the new Xbox? Anyone with Xbox One S with a 4k or HD tv, will you be upgrading to the new Xbox? Anyone buying their first game console and decide to buy an Xbox, will it be the Xbox One S or Scorpio?
    Last edited by book12; 21-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Page 4
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 26th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I am quite surprised at that with the majority of gamers still being with a console limited to 1080p I didn't think most of them would think it worth making them native 4k, upscalable to 4k maybe.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    It's the other way round - they have to downscale the assets to work at 720p/1080p, they're generated by the artists at a high resolution then they have to be downsampled and compressed to be able to run on the limited hardware of a console. It's common to see screenshots and videos from games early in development that look much better than the released game as they've have to sacrifice the image quality to get the final game running smoothly.

Also you don't even need specific 4k assets to run at 4k, it's different to running at 1080p blu-ray at 4k by upscaling - there's no extra information so the player is simply quadrupling the number of pixels so there's no real improvement in quality. When you take a 720p or 1080p game then run it at 4k or other higher resolution, you're not just upscaling - the hardware renders the game at a higher resolution so you do get genuine benefits like less aliasing and you can apply anisotropic filtering to tidy up the textures to give you a much cleaner and improved look.

The PC has generally always run multiplatform games at much higher resolution even though in many cases they didn't have high resolution texture sets, you can play older PC games at 4K long before there were any thoughts of 4k consoles. Once you get to really old games the textures and artwork are often too basic to work at ultra high resolutions but for more recent titles, you can simply change the slider to 4k, crank up the eye candy and have it look much prettier.

Note that when developers are talking about upscaling to 4k on the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X that's something different, that's when they're working at some resolution above 1080p but not native 4k then upscaling to the final 4k image. Similar to the Xbox One working at above 720p but not quite 1080p then taking the intermediate render and upscaling it to 1080p.

John
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Jun 17, 12:55 AM
    • 26,748 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    It's the other way round - they have to downscale the assets to work at 720p/1080p, they're generated by the artists at a high resolution then they have to be downsampled and compressed to be able to run on the limited hardware of a console. It's common to see screenshots and videos from games early in development that look much better than the released game as they've have to sacrifice the image quality to get the final game running smoothly.

Also you don't even need specific 4k assets to run at 4k, it's different to running at 1080p blu-ray at 4k by upscaling - there's no extra information so the player is simply quadrupling the number of pixels so there's no real improvement in quality. When you take a 720p or 1080p game then run it at 4k or other higher resolution, you're not just upscaling - the hardware renders the game at a higher resolution so you do get genuine benefits like less aliasing and you can apply anisotropic filtering to tidy up the textures to give you a much cleaner and improved look.

The PC has generally always run multiplatform games at much higher resolution even though in many cases they didn't have high resolution texture sets, you can play older PC games at 4K long before there were any thoughts of 4k consoles. Once you get to really old games the textures and artwork are often too basic to work at ultra high resolutions but for more recent titles, you can simply change the slider to 4k, crank up the eye candy and have it look much prettier.

Note that when developers are talking about upscaling to 4k on the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X that's something different, that's when they're working at some resolution above 1080p but not native 4k then upscaling to the final 4k image. Similar to the Xbox One working at above 720p but not quite 1080p then taking the intermediate render and upscaling it to 1080p.

John
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    I know last gen most games were 720p and just upscale to 1080p. As most games are 1080p this gen I assumed to get 4k they would be upscaled.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 27th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I know last gen most games were 720p and just upscale to 1080p. As most games are 1080p this gen I assumed to get 4k they would be upscaled.
    No, there's a big difference between upscaling and rendering at a higher native resolution - upscaling is simply taking a video signal and pretty much stretching it to produce the higher resolution, you don't actually get any additional information.

Rendering at a higher resolution is different, you need more powerful parts to do it but unlike upscaling there is an improvement in the quality. However like upscaling, you don't need any specific support to do it and you can take most 3D applications and just change the slider to a higher resolution then enjoy genuinely improved graphics quality. You can if you want run some early 3D games which weren't even SD never mind HD at 4k.

For Xbox One X developers they can effectively do the same with Xbox One games to get them running at 4K so it's not going to be a particularly difficult job. I doubt a lot of older games will get updated as it's unlikely worth the hassle but going forward I would expect most mainstream developers to support the higher resolution even if it's a relatively simple implementation. Some older games will already have 4K support and assets from a PC port, Gears of War 4 gets an 'X' update later this year which is likely little work as the PC version already has proper 4k support.

John
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 28th Jun 17, 6:08 PM
    • 15,655 Posts
    • 8,963 Thanks
    motorguy
    The box set has the first 6 films but considering how many times people have bought them before and their age it still seems over priced. Especially when the box set was released ages ago and all new releases eventually come down in price usually. This hasn't though.
    I have gotten the movies made since then on bluray.
    Yeah they know theres demand as its still an active franchise (and even moreso now) so they're keeping prices high.

Found it at £45.99 for all six episodes using find-dvd.co.uk if you're feeling like taking the plunge....

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/blu-ray/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/1111161.htm
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 28th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 26,748 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Yeah they know theres demand as its still an active franchise (and even moreso now) so they're keeping prices high.

Found it at £45.99 for all six episodes using find-dvd.co.uk if you're feeling like taking the plunge....

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/blu-ray/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/1111161.htm
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Thanks, don't even want to pay that much though when I have the dvds.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 29th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 15,655 Posts
    • 8,963 Thanks
    motorguy
    Thanks, don't even want to pay that much though when I have the dvds.
    It might be worth keeping an eye on that site - its very good at polling round the main sellers.

The cheapest its been on Amazon is £36.99 according to camelcamelcamel

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/product/B013GTX6JI

It might be worth setting up an email alert from there for the next time a price drop occurs to your chosen price.
    • Golder
    • By Golder 10th Aug 17, 3:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Golder
    I can not wait to see new games for the new Xbox, now I'm playing Path of Exile and try to catch all new PoE orbs, but mostly I hunt for exalted orbs cause exalted is most valuable item at PoE.I can not wait to see new games for the new Xbox, now I'm playing Path of Exile and try to catch all new PoE orbs, but mostly I hunt for exalted orbs cause exalted is most valuable item at PoE.
    I still play PoE, can you still play? If you want to buy PoE Orbs I know one great place, I will share with you a link.
    It's been half a year since I've been buying Exalted orbs for 3-4 months. If you want to buy exalted orbs it means you want to use it in PoE. There are different opinions on buying items in the game, however it is acceptable. The most important thing is transaction security and fast delivery. What I like the most in PoE is Exalted Orb, when I find it I am very happy, sometimes however I do not have the time and I prefer to buy your poe orbs I buy here
    Last edited by Golder; 27-10-2017 at 2:30 AM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Aug 17, 8:42 AM
    • 15,655 Posts
    • 8,963 Thanks
    motorguy
    I can not wait to see new games for the new Xbox
    Originally posted by Golder
    Yes, it should be good.

I'm a bit of a gadget boy so might get myself one just to have a crack at at some point, then punt it on.
    • Emma851
    • By Emma851 15th Aug 17, 11:58 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Emma851
    Can't wait to see the new Xbox and its games too. I bought the PS1 20 years ago and had to turn it upside down to be able to play it. Bought a PS3 later and hated the online store and never ending install times for games. Xbox all the way for me!
    • CBaker
    • By CBaker 11th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    CBaker
    Xbox One X will ship with HDMI 2.1. Compared to HDMI 2.0 which has a data bandwidth sitting at 18Gbits/s, the HDMI 2.1 should come in at more than double that estimated around 48 Gbit/s. This should boost resolution: Output resolution 3840 x 2160 for 4K at 120 Hz
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter