Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • getmeouttahere
    • By getmeouttahere 19th May 17, 10:46 PM
    • 194Posts
    • 43Thanks
    getmeouttahere
    Should I get gap insurance?
    • 19th May 17, 10:46 PM
    Should I get gap insurance? 19th May 17 at 10:46 PM
    We bought my wife a new car towards the end of April (a 6 month old Astra). We paid cash for the car so no finance is involved.

At the time, we declined the dealers GAP insurance because I knew we could buy it cheaper online, but the more time that passes, my wife things we shouldn't bother with the GAP insurance at all.... I'm not so sure.

I personally thinks it makes sense so that if she crashes the car in a year or two, she can go out and buy another 6 month old car, rather than a 2-3 year old car.

What do you all think? Is it worth us taking a GAP insurance policy out?
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 19th May 17, 11:20 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 19th May 17, 11:20 PM
    • 19th May 17, 11:20 PM
    How many cars have you written off?
    Ill offer you a policy that covers you for the full value of a new car should a three legged Russian drunk driver crash a lime green transit van into your car on a Tuesday - Cover starts at only £25.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th May 17, 12:41 AM
    • 16,115 Posts
    • 59,878 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 20th May 17, 12:41 AM
    • 20th May 17, 12:41 AM
    I've been driving 28 yrs... (I feel very old now)....

Digressing in that time I've had

2 right offs ( neither my fault)
    1 side impact

a few yrs ago gap insurance was unheard of... but

I've just brought a car from dealership, ( cash) 2nd hand car... this is the 1st time taken gap insurance, of £299 for 3 yrs, for me it's not nesessary saying I'm a bad driver, but it's the west if... also if the car was wrote off next week, I know I wouldn't get what I paid, but thus gives me peace of mind, I would go for it x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 20th May 17, 1:42 AM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 20th May 17, 1:42 AM
    • 20th May 17, 1:42 AM
    Although there's a big push for it when buying cash I don't see the need for it (whereas I do for cars bought on finance due to the potential shortfall if the car is written off), I've never written off a car and if I do I'd just want a similar car back.

John
    • NornIron70
    • By NornIron70 20th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NornIron70
    • 20th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 20th May 17, 9:12 AM
    I always buy gap insurance...but never from a dealer. peace of mind for £80 for 3 years? No debating that decision. Had one vehicle written off (not my fault) and had between the third party and my GAP insurance had £9100 (return to invoice).

In short; I bought a car for £9100, written off 30 months later and received £9100..what depreciation ?

Check online for competitive quotes.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 20th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 20th May 17, 11:54 AM
    Or get a decent insurance policy that gives you a new car of the same spec?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,824Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin