Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cauldron
    • By cauldron 19th May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cauldron
    Customs charges
    • 19th May 17, 10:04 PM
    Customs charges 19th May 17 at 10:04 PM
    I have been charged a customs fee, however with the discount code I had which was 10% it brought it under £15.

If I paid under £15 for an item, then surely HMRC go by what I actually paid, or do they not take discount codes into account?

Just wondering if it is worth putting a claim in.

Thanks
Page 1
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 20th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 9,594 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 20th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 20th May 17, 6:25 AM
    What value did seller declare on the customs form on package ?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th May 17, 6:50 AM
    • 58,988 Posts
    • 41,793 Thanks
    soolin
    • 20th May 17, 6:50 AM
    • 20th May 17, 6:50 AM
    What value did seller declare on the customs form on package ?
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    ^^^^^

this, plus how much was the postage?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 20th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,339 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 20th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 20th May 17, 6:06 PM
    Where did the item come from?
    If it was the Channel islands then VAT is due on any imports irrespective of the value as the £15 relief for goods from there was scrapped a few years ago.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 20th May 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9,339 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 20th May 17, 6:11 PM
    • 20th May 17, 6:11 PM
    Another thing to take into consideration is the exchange rate used by HMRC.
    These rates only change once a month so if the exchange rate changed slightly which brought your payment to just under the £15 threshold, this lower figure might not be reflected in the calculations used to calculate the value of the imported item.
    • cauldron
    • By cauldron 20th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cauldron
    • 20th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 20th May 17, 6:42 PM
    From the US and the declared value was $20 on the package. I paid $18 which was the price with the discount.

So that will be below £15. The postage was about £10, but then from everything I've read customs don't include the postage when calculating.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 20th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 20th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 20th May 17, 6:55 PM
    Yes, it does include the postage. Many do get caught out by this, the £15 includes postage costs.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
    • cauldron
    • By cauldron 20th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cauldron
    • 20th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 20th May 17, 9:23 PM
    In that case I should have been charged for an item I purchased a few months ago, it was a few dollars less, but the combined cost with the postage and packaging was over £15.

But then thinking about it how would they know how much postage I paid, it doesn't say the cost on the package.
    Last edited by cauldron; 20-05-2017 at 9:32 PM.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 21st May 17, 1:16 AM
    • 7,373 Posts
    • 7,399 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 21st May 17, 1:16 AM
    • 21st May 17, 1:16 AM
    I have been charged a customs fee,
    Originally posted by cauldron
    Why didn't you do your own clearance and get rid of the fee altogether?

How to do it has been explained on here enough times already.
    • jeffuk
    • By jeffuk 21st May 17, 3:46 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    jeffuk

Originally posted by pogofish
    Could you explain in a bit more detail please.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st May 17, 8:58 AM
    • 58,988 Posts
    • 41,793 Thanks
    soolin
    In that case I should have been charged for an item I purchased a few months ago, it was a few dollars less, but the combined cost with the postage and packaging was over £15.

But then thinking about it how would they know how much postage I paid, it doesn't say the cost on the package.
    Originally posted by cauldron
    Many things get through uncharged, it's always a gamble with what HMRC pick up and what they miss.

Originally posted by pogofish
    It isn't as easy as 'just doing it yourself' though, yes there are explanations on a thread on a different board - here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=592233&highlight=customs

However, it does take a bit of effort and some work and agreement with the sender and frankly even though I buy a lot from overseas I certainly never bother doing it myself.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 21st May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 9,864 Thanks
    KxMx
    Yes, it does include the postage. Many do get caught out by this, the £15 includes postage costs.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    Postage is only added to the calculation if the £15 threshold has been met.

As per your link:
    VAT is added to goods over the value of £15
    That VAT calculation includes the postage cost.
    Thus, anything under £15 value is not liable for VAT.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st May 17, 3:28 PM
    • 16,778 Posts
    • 10,988 Thanks
    molerat
    $20 = £15.61 using the May HMRC rate so you were rightly charged according to the declaration by the sender.

If you wish to appeal it https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users#your-rights-and-obligations
    see 3.6
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Haffiana
    • By Haffiana 22nd May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Haffiana
    Items under £15 do not have postage added.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 23rd May 17, 12:55 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Tealblue
    Items under £15 do not have postage added.
    Originally posted by Haffiana
    They do, or a lot of people would be selling goods for a few pounds and have postage costing hundreds! From gov.uk website:

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 23rd May 17, 12:54 PM
    • 9,339 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    They do, or a lot of people would be selling goods for a few pounds and have postage costing hundreds! From gov.uk website:

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    If someone sold goods for a few £s and increased postage to cover it, HMRC would class this as tax evasion and charge on their estimated price.
    If goods cost less than £15, the postage is not taken into account.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-tariff-relief-from-customs-and-excise-duties-and-vat/uk-trade-tariff-relief-from-customs-and-excise-duties-and-vat

Consignments of negligible value

Regulation EEC 1186/2009 articles 23 and 28 and the Value Added Tax (Imported Goods) Relief Order 1984.

Notice 143.

Free of import duty and VAT, provided that certain conditions are met, and each consignment has an intrinsic value of £15 or less.
    And the HMRC definition of "intrinsic value"
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
    Intrinsic value Means the price paid or payable for the goods excluding postage and packing and insurance costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,559Posts Today

8,590Users online

Martin's Twitter