Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 19th May 17, 6:39 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 196Thanks
    vjm63
    How long should details be kept by estate agents?
    • 19th May 17, 6:39 PM
    How long should details be kept by estate agents? 19th May 17 at 6:39 PM
    I'd just like to get others' opinions on this, because I am not entirely happy about it.

We sold our house five years ago, and of course got several estate agents in to value it. Picked one, etc etc. Fast forward to this week, and I get a phone call from one of the estate agents we did not go with - asking what was happening with the house! I stated it was five years ago, and please remove my personal information from your records immediately.

I then contacted their head office and have just had an email that that branch had removed my details - but seemingly not the group! Now I would not have known that if I had not queried it. Also, I was informed that standard policy for retaining personal information is seven years after an 'appraisal' - which seems way too long to me.

I know I am a bit twitchy at times about data protection, but does anyone else think this is a bit beyond? They are part of Connells, as well - I know how much people here love that lot!
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6,751 Posts
    • 17,855 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 19th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:02 PM
    I fear it's because they have a lucrative sideline selling lists of folk.

I called up all the estate agents we weren't buying through once we'd completed & made sure "oh sorry, the baby is yelling!" (as I'd tickled him) before revealing where I'd moved to. I seem to have omitted to tell the mother & baby companies though - the little ones loved getting their own brightly coloured post to chew...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,247Posts Today

7,360Users online

Martin's Twitter