Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soba
    • By soba 19th May 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,426Posts
    • 6,542Thanks
    soba
    Vegan chilli
    • 19th May 17, 6:29 PM
    Vegan chilli 19th May 17 at 6:29 PM
    I've got a vegan guest coming to a party soon. I'm going to make burnt aubergine chilli which is vegetarian. As far as I can see its the couple of squares of dark chocolate that are added that make it unsuitable for a vegan.
    Would a spoonful of cocoa serve the same purpose -to add sweetness and gloss?

And need to check if regular soy sauce is vegan-friendly also.

Page 1
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 19th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 7,975 Thanks
    splishsplash
    • 19th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:42 PM
    I would omit the chocolate and forget the cocoa also.

Soy sauce is vegan in that it contains no animal products or by-products, but some brands have used animal testing, others use isinglass as part of the production process (so not on the label).

Best to check which brands your vegan friends are ok with, I think.

ETA: tesco and h&b now carry vegan chocolate, I think - you could use that if you wanted.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 15,018 Thanks
    caronc
    • 19th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:47 PM
    Cocoa would be fine as a sub for the chocolate, I usually add about 1/2 tsp to my chilli as seldom have chocolate open (once opened it just has to be eaten.....).
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 19th May 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 9,058 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 19th May 17, 7:53 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:53 PM
    I thought I remembered that Green and Black chocolate was vegan, but having had a quick look at their website, they have removed the statement (their words not mine) because of the production line. Might be worth a look at their range.
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 19th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 9,976 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    • 19th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:44 PM
    I thought I remembered that Green and Black chocolate was vegan, but having had a quick look at their website, they have removed the statement (their words not mine) because of the production line. Might be worth a look at their range.
    Originally posted by Linda32
    They used to have a good vegan range of chocolate, but decided to add milk products to various bars. So I just don't buy them anymore. Sadly for my waistline, most of the supermarkets now offer their own vegan suitable dark chocolate. Now, where did I stash the rest of the bar I bought in the coop on Monday...

I always use cocoa in my chilli, easier to keep than chocolate.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (21), DS2 (14), and the cat, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 19th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 19th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 19th May 17, 10:10 PM
    A large amount of dark chocolate has no animal ingredients when you check the label. However, very few chocolates say they're vegan. This had me baffled for a while, why do so many chocolates with no animal products on the ingredients list only say vegetarian on the packet? Far as I can tell, the issue is the possibility of minor dairy contamination from the factory. Labelling something that may have minor traces of milk vegan can confuse people with milk allergies (that's the reason green and blacks give). Personally, minor milk contamination doesn't cause me any bother, no further animal products are being used on my account to eat these chocolates, but it's best to check with whoever you're cooking for about this kind of thing. They may actually have a milk allergy or different feelings about it all.

Cocoa will add the savoury cocoa taste, but not any gloss or sweetness since it has no sugar or fat. I don't imagine it causing a radical change to the recipe however. You can always calculate how much sugar and fat is in a couple of squares of chocolate and add those.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 19th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 18,476 Thanks
    JIL
    • 19th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 19th May 17, 10:33 PM
    I think green and blacks organic dark is still vegan. They removed the vegan as there is a very small chance of cross contamination.

Bournville is showing as vegan

http://myvegansupermarket.co.uk/product/cadbury-bournville-dark-chocolate-bar-180g/
    Last edited by JIL; 19-05-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 20th May 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 9,499 Thanks
    elsiepac
    • 20th May 17, 12:07 PM
    • 20th May 17, 12:07 PM
    Hiya, I'm vegan! Bournville is usually fine but used to contain milk so check the ingredients list that you aren't getting an older one! Also, when things say they contain milk, but it isn't listed in the ingredients (where they have to clearly mark as an allergen), it is down to "cross contamination... most vegans are fine with this as it only means it's made on the same production line as other stuff containing milk. Of course it's all cleaned between batches anyway, but they put it in for legal purposes so they don't get sued if you have an allergic reaction! Tesco own brand in the black packaging in vegan, the 100g bars with coloured writing... I think 74% or something. Also Lindt Plain is vegan, but some of theirs have milk or butter fat bizarrely so just check it's not in the ingredient list. Tesco Finest Plain cooking vcocolae is good too!
    However, for your chilli, cocoa powder is absolutely fine. Most are vegan
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: Sep £162.70/£220 | Aug £190.38/£200 | Jul £194.08/£150 | Jun £179.03/£150 | May £158.54/£150 | Apr £316.94/£200 | Mar £170.47/£120 | Feb £199.45/£160 | Jan £199.08/£140
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • soba
    • By soba 20th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 6,542 Thanks
    soba
    • 20th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 20th May 17, 12:37 PM

And need to check if regular soy sauce is vegan-friendly also.
    Originally posted by soba
    The bottle of soy sauce I have open is only suitable for vegetarians but tucked away at the back of the cupboard is a bottle that''s also suitable for vegans��

Cycled to Lidl this morning and picked up an aubergine (49p) and will put a small amount of cocoa in as my dark chocolate has been opened (guilty) and doesn't have the ingredients packaging.

Game on for vegan chilli!
    Yay!!
    Last edited by soba; 20-05-2017 at 3:21 PM.

• Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 20th May 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 13,124 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Lidl dark chocolate is suitable for vegans and cheap too.
    GC September £54.46/£60, Alcohol £10.75/£20, Bulk Buy £45.26
    Save 12k in 2017 #132 = £1,900/£5,000 (38%)
    KonMari: Clothes, Wardrobe, Drawers, shoes, bags, Papers
    Bedding, Books, Toiletries,Bric a Brac, Kitchen, Pantry

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

3,163Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin