Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dchs1
    • By Dchs1 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Dchs1
    Virgin Media Contract
    • 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    Virgin Media Contract 19th May 17 at 5:44 PM
    Hi all

Hope I am in the right place.
    Last sept I reduced my package down to broadband only 50mb £25.
    My bill has just gone up to £33, so I gave virgin a ring to see if they could help, they could only offer 100mb for £32.50. I explained I don't really need that much and could I have my £26 deal extended, no I can't, I can keep 50mb but it will cost £33
    I also explained that I only receive a maximum of 35mb, the offered to send out a new router.
    I don't really need 100mb so I asked to be disconnected and was told that when I reduced my services I was put into a new contract 18month and it's £240 to leave.

I Was shocked to hear this as I had only requested a reduction in service. I was told that they had sent me a new contract by email. To be really honest I didn't look as I wasn't expecting a new contract and I get a lot of sales type emails from virgin. Am I snookered until my contract is up.
    I have been with Virgin Media for 10 years 😢
    I'm feeling a bit foolish 😕

I'm guessing I probably can't do much till next Apr but thought it was worth asking as someone might have had better luck than me.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th May 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 19th May 17, 5:57 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:57 PM
    Why has your bill gone up? Is it a Virgin price rise or just the end of a set discount? If the former then you could have a get out clause, if the latter then yes you are probably stuck.

Have you had a look for the email from Virgin to see what it says?

• Dchs1
    • By Dchs1 19th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dchs1
    • 19th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:33 PM
    Hi mije1983

It is the latter sadly. However I have read the email saying about the changes to my account and it's doesn't mention 18month, there is also another email saying please sign new contract, which I clearly haven't done. I clicked the link and it says

Envelope Unavailable
    The envelope you are attempting to access has been voided by Virgin Media at Feb 2, 2017 | 00:20 GMT

For more information, please contact the sender:
    Virgin Media

I'm normally really good with contracts, and I really didn't understand this was what was happening 😕
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 9,724 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:00 PM
    A change of service package does normally start a new contract .
    • 85 East
    • By 85 East 29th May 17, 9:21 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    85 East
    • 29th May 17, 9:21 PM
    • 29th May 17, 9:21 PM
    If you haven't signed a new contract surely you don't need to pay any exit fees? The contract moves onto a rolling 30 day notice period normally after the expiry of the fixed term contract. At least that is what mine is. I would call them back and inform them there is no contract between Virgin and yourself and that as per the terms of your contract from a year and a bit ago you are giving them 30 days notice of cancellation.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 30th May 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 30th May 17, 2:47 PM
    • 30th May 17, 2:47 PM
    If you haven't signed a new contract surely you don't need to pay any exit fees? The contract moves onto a rolling 30 day notice period normally after the expiry of the fixed term contract. At least that is what mine is. I would call them back and inform them there is no contract between Virgin and yourself and that as per the terms of your contract from a year and a bit ago you are giving them 30 days notice of cancellation.
    Originally posted by 85 East

It's not the same contract though. The OP changed their package so what Virgin is supplying isn't the same. Any change to a package usually starts a new minimum term.

Very rarely do you physically have to sign anything now. The OP received the email (albeit didn't read it) and has been paying the bill ever since, so no doubt would be successfully argued that they have accepted the new conditions. If the OP is paying and receiving the services, then of course there must be a contract.

• mac.d
    • By mac.d 30th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 30th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 30th May 17, 4:21 PM
    Insurance companies get you by charging you for making changes to your existing contract, whereas phone/broadband companies get you by putting you onto a new minimum term contract if you make any changes.

Just different ways of making more money out of you!
    • hareng
    • By hareng 30th May 17, 9:36 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    hareng
    • 30th May 17, 9:36 PM
    • 30th May 17, 9:36 PM
    Just had exactly the same from BT earlier.
    Originally enquired by chat why number display hasn't been working for over a week, paid up front to 17 June. CS checked in to it knew I was out of contract and said for the inconvenience we will offer it free for 12 months.

3hrs later greeted with email and contract for 12 months line rental, so cancelled minutes ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,823Posts Today

9,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin