Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 19th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 9Thanks
    paulbeard
    Is this right? B&Q refund to credit note when part pay with Gift Card?
    • 19th May 17, 5:04 PM
    Is this right? B&Q refund to credit note when part pay with Gift Card? 19th May 17 at 5:04 PM
    Hi, this doesn't seem right to me so I'm here to pick your expert brains.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a little over £80 in B&Q on paint & brushes, £30 of which was paid with a gift card. The remaining balance of just over £50 was paid on a visa debit card.

Painting job done, today I return to B&Q with one unused tin of paint and an unused brush to get a refund. No problem there, but the refund was issued as a credit note for approx £27 rather than a refund straight to my debit card. To add insult the credit note has a 1 year lifespan whereas I had 2-3 years left on my gift card.

This smells off to me. I'm sure B&Q are acting within the law as they're too big a company to fall foul of consumer law - at least I'd assume so. But how can it be right that B&Q can keep £27 of my money for up to a year, and even worse they keep it if I don't use the credit note in that time.

To be clear, if I'd spent £30 on paint thus paying by gift card for the full amount of goods purchased and returned £27 worth I would understand this system, though still wouldn't be that impressed with losing a year or so of my giftcard.

If I'd spent £45 or so ie the majority of the payment was by gift card I'd be non-plussed but again I'd accept it.

But in this case the vast majority of the purchase price was paid via debit card so I don't think its unreasonable to expect that the £27 should be refunded to me directly.

B&Q staff were pleasant but both the till assistant and the manager (who I asked to speak to) advised that they can not override the refund method and that where a gist card is used refunds will always be issued as a credit note up to the value of the gift card before money is refunded for the cash/debit part of the transaction.

To summarise:
    - £30 B&Q Gift card bought by my sister & given to me as a present. This had 2-3 years left on it of the 5 year life duration.
    - £80ish paid in total goods from B&Q
    - £27ish good taken back unused for refund
    - Credit note issued for £27ish with 1 year duration

I'll call customer service to complain on Monday but is there any advice on how to get this £27 returned to me as an actual refund rather than a credit note?
Page 2
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    LilElvis
    just returned 1 faulty item and 2 that were the wrong size, I paid for them all on a B&Q gift card and expected the refund back onto the gift card. Cant be done and can only have a credit note. B&Q say you have 45days from purchace for a refund on back of the receipt,
    The B&Q Gift cards are valid for at least 2 years. the credit note is only valid 12 months.
    Never had this happen with, M&S, Boots, TK MAXX or any other gift card.
    I don't expect cash back but have always been refunded by the way i've paid in the past.
    Originally posted by pompeii

Use the credit voucher to buy a gift card. Sorted
    • pompeii
    • By pompeii 7th Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    pompeii
    lt says on the credit note it cannot be used to buy a gift card, my limited understanding of consumer rights is that you should be returned to your original state, cash for cash, crdit card fcr credit card and gift card for gift card
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 7th Jun 17, 11:15 PM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    wealdroam
    lt says on the credit note it cannot be used to buy a gift card, my limited understanding of consumer rights is that you should be returned to your original state, cash for cash, crdit card fcr credit card and gift card for gift card
    This is quite complicated.
    Section 20 of The Consumer Rights Act paragraphs (10) onwards is your reference.

Have a look at the CRA Explanatory Notes no.113, 114 and 115.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Thats right to reject though, they are not rejecting the goods. Just returning due to not being required or a change of mind.

Section 20, doesn't apply in this case does it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    glentoran99
    you best read up, You aren't entitled to anything unless faulty
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Thats right to reject though, they are not rejecting the goods. Just returning due to not being required or a change of mind.

Section 20, doesn't apply in this case does it?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    That's right, S20 of The CRA does not apply for two of the items that pompeii returned.

I had lost sight of the fact that for two items this was essentially a 'change of mind' return and is therefore subject to the seller's returns policy only.

Sorry for introducing the confusion.

Not helped by pompeii using an existing thread for his issue.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 08-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jun 17, 11:41 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    The credit note isn't valid for only 12 months.

1) Find some small, light, and durable items collectively about £27 which also have a 45-day return policy. Diamond-tipped drills in blister packs are probably the sort of thing.
    2) Buy them.
    3) Wait up to 44 days ( or only a few minutes ).
    4) Return them for a credit note with 12 months validity.
    GOTO 1)
    Maybe you can find things you actually want, on your twice-yearly visit.

If you really want some cash, a high street pawnbroking shop might buy it off you ; or you could give it as a Christmas present.
    • pompeii
    • By pompeii 9th Jun 17, 9:02 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    pompeii
    Sorry
    paulbeard, sorry did not intend to crash your thread
    wealdroam thank you for your help, also pompeii is a she:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin