Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 19th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 9Thanks
    paulbeard
    Is this right? B&Q refund to credit note when part pay with Gift Card?
    • 19th May 17, 5:04 PM
    Is this right? B&Q refund to credit note when part pay with Gift Card? 19th May 17 at 5:04 PM
    Hi, this doesn't seem right to me so I'm here to pick your expert brains.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a little over £80 in B&Q on paint & brushes, £30 of which was paid with a gift card. The remaining balance of just over £50 was paid on a visa debit card.

Painting job done, today I return to B&Q with one unused tin of paint and an unused brush to get a refund. No problem there, but the refund was issued as a credit note for approx £27 rather than a refund straight to my debit card. To add insult the credit note has a 1 year lifespan whereas I had 2-3 years left on my gift card.

This smells off to me. I'm sure B&Q are acting within the law as they're too big a company to fall foul of consumer law - at least I'd assume so. But how can it be right that B&Q can keep £27 of my money for up to a year, and even worse they keep it if I don't use the credit note in that time.

To be clear, if I'd spent £30 on paint thus paying by gift card for the full amount of goods purchased and returned £27 worth I would understand this system, though still wouldn't be that impressed with losing a year or so of my giftcard.

If I'd spent £45 or so ie the majority of the payment was by gift card I'd be non-plussed but again I'd accept it.

But in this case the vast majority of the purchase price was paid via debit card so I don't think its unreasonable to expect that the £27 should be refunded to me directly.

B&Q staff were pleasant but both the till assistant and the manager (who I asked to speak to) advised that they can not override the refund method and that where a gist card is used refunds will always be issued as a credit note up to the value of the gift card before money is refunded for the cash/debit part of the transaction.

To summarise:
    - £30 B&Q Gift card bought by my sister & given to me as a present. This had 2-3 years left on it of the 5 year life duration.
    - £80ish paid in total goods from B&Q
    - £27ish good taken back unused for refund
    - Credit note issued for £27ish with 1 year duration

I'll call customer service to complain on Monday but is there any advice on how to get this £27 returned to me as an actual refund rather than a credit note?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th May 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 19th May 17, 5:11 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:11 PM
    Every shop I can think if would refund in the same way, as the change of mind policy is above and beyond your legal rights they can attach pretty much whatever terms they want to it in this case if a gift card was part of the purchase then any refund would use the gift card as the first method.

Some places even if you had paid the entire bill with cash or card would only issue a gift card/voucher for a change of mind return.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 19th May 17, 5:20 PM
    • 4,298 Posts
    • 4,514 Thanks
    societys child
    • 19th May 17, 5:20 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:20 PM
    Took a paintbrush back

• paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    • 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    Every shop I can think if would refund in the same way, as the change of mind policy is above and beyond your legal rights they can attach pretty much whatever terms they want to it in this case if a gift card was part of the purchase then any refund would use the gift card as the first method.

Some places even if you had paid the entire bill with cash or card would only issue a gift card/voucher for a change of mind return.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Its not so much a change of mind as much as buying more paint than we actually needed (to save us a 25 mile round trip to return to the store that afternoon if we had run out) and were returning the spare unused tin, which is something B&Q have promoted as a service in the past. But I take your point and had guessed as much, but as you never know its best to ask.

I still think its not very good service that we lose a year or two of the giftcard lifespan however.
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 19th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    • 19th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:38 PM
    Took a paintbrush back
    Originally posted by societys child
    Thanks, but not very helpful really ...as I was taking back a large tin of paint anyway and it was a £7 brush I did think to return it tbh. This is moneysavingexpert isn't it?
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 19th May 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 19th May 17, 5:53 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:53 PM
    A lot of places do this (unfortunately).

I've now taken to splitting transactions to use the gift card (and not much else) and then paying separately for things I am more likely to return so I have a separate receipt with no gift card spend on.
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 19th May 17, 6:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    • 19th May 17, 6:00 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:00 PM
    A lot of places do this (unfortunately).

I've now taken to splitting transactions to use the gift card (and not much else) and then paying separately for things I am more likely to return so I have a separate receipt with no gift card spend on.
    Originally posted by SuperHan
    Yes, definitely the way to go for me in future, thanks!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th May 17, 6:17 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 19th May 17, 6:17 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:17 PM
    Its not so much a change of mind as much as buying more paint than we actually needed (to save us a 25 mile round trip to return to the store that afternoon if we had run out) and were returning the spare unused tin, which is something B&Q have promoted as a service in the past. But I take your point and had guessed as much, but as you never know its best to ask.

I still think its not very good service that we lose a year or two of the giftcard lifespan however.
    Originally posted by paulbeard
    It's brilliant service, you were allowed to return items bought in store as you no longer need them.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 19th May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 4,298 Posts
    • 4,514 Thanks
    societys child
    • 19th May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:19 PM
    Thanks, but not very helpful really ...as I was taking back a large tin of paint anyway and it was a £7 brush I did think to return it tbh. This is moneysavingexpert isn't it?
    Sorry, just thought it funny taking a paintbrush back. Will you never paint anything again? The brush will have gone up when you need another, so not very money saving in the long run. just saying.

• paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 20th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    Sorry, just thought it funny taking a paintbrush back. Will you never paint anything again? The brush will have gone up when you need another, so not very money saving in the long run. just saying.
    Originally posted by societys child
    No worries and after returning from B&Q with the paint & brushes I discovered I still had an unused large fence painting brush (which is what I took back) in the shed from the last time I painted the outside woodwork
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 20th May 17, 10:35 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    gener8or
    This stinks. You should first get your cash returned and anything left on the gift card value is the last resort, exactly as amazon do.

Same thing happened to me.
    • mo786uk
    • By mo786uk 21st May 17, 1:38 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    mo786uk
    Its down to the terms and conditions of the retailer - which they have told you - so i suspect you are stuffed.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 21st May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,298 Posts
    • 4,514 Thanks
    societys child
    This stinks. You should first get your cash returned and anything left on the gift card value is the last resort, exactly as amazon do.
    Originally posted by gener8or
    There's a big difference, the op bought in store, amazon only do on-line purchases.

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 22nd May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

Same thing happened to me.
    Originally posted by gener8or
    Why "should" this happen?

The shop are taking back something that somebody bought, purely of their own volition, that was absolutely fine and fit for purpose.

Why on earth "should" the shop have to do anything?

If B&Q went round his house as he was about to start painting, took all their goods back and left a refund because they had changed their mind, would you say "it stinks" if he were to protest?
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 22nd May 17, 6:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    Why "should" this happen?

The shop are taking back something that somebody bought, purely of their own volition, that was absolutely fine and fit for purpose.

Why on earth "should" the shop have to do anything?

If B&Q went round his house as he was about to start painting, took all their goods back and left a refund because they had changed their mind, would you say "it stinks" if he were to protest?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Fair point, but I'm pretty sure B&Q have run a marketing campaign saying an approximation of "buy more than you need and bring back what you don't use." That changes the 'spirit' of the transaction as it encourages the practice and leads you to think you'll get back cash and not a credit note.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 22nd May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Fair point, but I'm pretty sure B&Q have run a marketing campaign saying an approximation of "buy more than you need and bring back what you don't use." That changes the 'spirit' of the transaction as it encourages the practice and leads you to think you'll get back cash and not a credit note.
    And you would have had the cash back if you had paid entirely by cash, as you chose to use a voucher they chose to refund that instead. As a business it doesn't many any sense to refund the cash which you can then spend anywhere when the original payment included a voucher, almost any business would protect their profits and issue the refund in a form that will be re-spent with them and before anyone calls that poor customer service it's really not when you consider the fact you can have a change of mind return at all is well above what consumer laws allow and quite generous of them as a business as a way of providing even better service.
    • paulbeard
    • By paulbeard 22nd May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    paulbeard
    And you would have had the cash back if you had paid entirely by cash, as you chose to use a voucher they chose to refund that instead. As a business it doesn't many any sense to refund the cash which you can then spend anywhere when the original payment included a voucher, almost any business would protect their profits and issue the refund in a form that will be re-spent with them and before anyone calls that poor customer service it's really not when you consider the fact you can have a change of mind return at all is well above what consumer laws allow and quite generous of them as a business as a way of providing even better service.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    With reference to whether or not the customer perceives this as poor customer service, the pertinent question is will this customer now return to B&Q in preference to any other retailer: probably not. This is a consumer led marketplace.

I totally accept your point from a business viewpoint but reject it as a consumer with a large market place to turn to (although I guess competitors would probably have done the same thing )
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 22nd May 17, 11:15 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    With reference to whether or not the customer perceives this as poor customer service, the pertinent question is will this customer now return to B&Q in preference to any other retailer: probably not. This is a consumer led marketplace.

I totally accept your point from a business viewpoint but reject it as a consumer with a large market place to turn to (although I guess competitors would probably have done the same thing )
    Yes, to spend their gift voucher!
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 23rd May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    lammy82
    They have to do this because otherwise you could 'liquidate' gift vouchers by simply spending them in a mixed transaction and then returning some of the goods.
    The only way to avoid is is to make two separate transactions, effectively 'ringfencing' the voucher-bought goods (the ones you are least likely to need to return) and then being able to return the rest of your purchases for cash.
    • pompeii
    • By pompeii 7th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    pompeii
    similar problem today
    just returned 1 faulty item and 2 that were the wrong size, I paid for them all on a B&Q gift card and expected the refund back onto the gift card. Cant be done and can only have a credit note. B&Q say you have 45days from purchace for a refund on back of the receipt,
    The B&Q Gift cards are valid for at least 2 years. the credit note is only valid 12 months.
    Never had this happen with, M&S, Boots, TK MAXX or any other gift card.
    I don't expect cash back but have always been refunded by the way i've paid in the past.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin