Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debbie2311
    • By debbie2311 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    debbie2311
    Shared ownership - been offered a house What now?!
    • 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    Shared ownership - been offered a house What now?! 19th May 17 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,
    In a bit of a panic!

Got the email confirming that they are going to offer me the house I viewed

It says in the email that I need to let them know my solicitor's details.

I don't even know the process! I have found a few online guides but still confused.

I have a few specific questions if anyone can help?

1. I'll call the recommended solicitors for shared ownership on Monday. Can I appoint them there and then over the phone and straight away let the agency know their details? Or do I need to wait a week, 10 days, get an appointment to meet them in person etc?

2. Do I appoint an IFA straight away to help me with a mortgage application? I have a mortgage in principle but it's not for shared ownership (couldn't find any online that offered shared ownership mortgages in principle) - plus, there are many other details an IFA could look at for me.

I'm all anxious and stressed now, excited but nervous something will go wrong!

If anyone can give me any advise on how this whole thing works, that would be great. I would have thought the housing agency who is selling the half of the house to me would have sent me a step by step process or something but I guess I'm a grown up now!

Thank you in advance
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 19th May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 31,728 Posts
    • 16,960 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 19th May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:58 PM
    You first need to contact whoever is going to arrange your mortgage and let them explain the timescale/process as they will manage it.

You'll need to have decided on a solicitor before you can apply for a mortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • debbie2311
    • By debbie2311 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    debbie2311
    • 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    Thank you - so that's the first thing I needed to know - appoint solicitor first and THEN get the IFA.

Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

2,618Users online

Martin's Twitter