Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gilliessy
    • By gilliessy 19th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gilliessy
    Fixed Term Contract over 4 years
    • 19th May 17, 4:14 PM
    Fixed Term Contract over 4 years 19th May 17 at 4:14 PM
    I am wondering if anyone has any guidance on this topic.

I have been employed on 4 successive fixed term contracts over the past 5 years for a government agency, the last renewal being in December last year. The post has been funded both by a mixture of both internal and external funders, but I have been informed it will not be getting extended due to external funding ending and no internal funding available for this area of work for the amount the team I am a part of requested to move forwards, however they are progressing with the work at a reduced scale and a smaller team that is made up of staff whom have permanent status.

The HR department has not at any time indicated to me if I am eligible for a permanent position in the organisation after 4 years, instead just further extended my fixed term employment for another period…. I am guessing this is due to external funding? At no time has HR actively sought to find an alternative position in the organisation for me since I was issued with notice of redundancy, despite my redundancy letter saying them would and despite new positions being regularly advertised within the organisation that I am suitably qualified for.

Does anyone have any comment or guidance on how to approach HR regarding this, given I have had successive fixed term contracts over 5 years? Am I correct in thinking, since the post has been externally funded a number of times - I have no right to permanent employment?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 13,490 Posts
    • 13,035 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:18 PM
    No-one has a right to a permanent position. So ignore that.

There's 2 things that are applicable, and someone better than me will correct me im sure.

1: if there is alternative positions available, which are comparable to your current role you should be offered one of these.

2: if 1 doesn't happen, you would get redundancy payment, have they alluded to the amount?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th May 17, 4:19 PM
    • 18,420 Posts
    • 18,616 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 19th May 17, 4:19 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:19 PM
    My belief is that you have every right to redeployment. They wouldn't be giving you formal redundancy unless you were entitled to it, so I think you should point out to HR that they are advertising other positions which you believe would be suitable redeployment.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • gilliessy
    • By gilliessy 22nd May 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gilliessy
    • 22nd May 17, 10:12 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 10:12 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses.

There have been a number of alternative positions in the organisation that have been suitable, but not once has HR approached me about them, nor have they even carried out any consultation with me to determine my skill sets and experience etc.... so how do they even know how to redeploy me somewhere, other than by guessing from my job title and area of work. All they have done is send me a finishing date and yes have alluded to the amount I shall get - no other communication.

By law in summer last year they should have possibly moved my fixed term contract to permanent, but since it's been a part externally post, I guess that is an objective reason not to - so instead just extended me onto another fixed term contract. Forth in 5 years.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 22nd May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 4,957 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 22nd May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 11:03 AM
    In my experience, what you are expecting isn't the way things work. Once your are within the at risk period, and that is often only a short period of time towards the end of your employment, you are placed in a redeployment pool, and any vacancies that arise are job matched against that pool. If anyone matches they are interviewed as potential redeployments. But nobody is going to go out there and look for a job for you. The legal duty is fulfilled by giving you access to the vacancies available - you have responsibilities here too. If you see a job that you think you should qualify for, you need to have told them so. You obviously have that access. So why, when you saw jobs, didn't you say or do something?

And no... After four years, by law, you have the right to ask to be made permanent. Not that that means much. You didn't ask, then they didn't have to even think about it.

In large government agencies, at any one time now, there are many people in your position. And only a handful of HR people doing redeployment matters as part of their job. They have no time to job seek for you, and time is usually limited to the bare minimum. After that it is down to you. In the end, the people who get redeployed are the ones that work hardest at it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin