Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 19th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 12,523Posts
    • 5,171Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks?
    • 19th May 17, 4:04 PM
    Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks? 19th May 17 at 4:04 PM
    I haven't looked at this lately but 2 years back I expected a letter saying I would be re-assessed for PIP as over 60.
    No letter.
    Now I'm only months from 65.

My question is have any people had to reapply very close to 65?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 2
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 27th May 17, 5:09 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    why?

they want the extra money but shouldn't have to prove entitlement?

at least with regular reviews, the system is fair for all.

why should someone be treated differently just because they are older?
    surely they would find that patronising?
    i know i would
    Originally posted by nannytone
    Hi I was just going to take exception to that but see you quoted a deleted post, this is where the forum falls down as the post count catches up and reader can't see what happened.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 27th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    there is a difference between disability and the natural agiing process though.

DLA/PIP is only paid for the disability.

i am blind and will continue to be blind.
    that is what i receive DLA for. any changes due to the natural process of waging aren't pRT OF MY DLA CLAIM
    This is where i was leading this thread, yes, you expect issues due to aging, but there must be a big temptation for the powers that be to think, "Oh, he/she is just getting old and can't accept it".

I can see both sides of that hence the concern. I mix with blokes 20 years older than me, they can do far more than me.

I just answer the questions and hopefully my full and sometimes embarrassing medical history backs it up,

• nannytone
    • By nannytone 27th May 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12,219 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    nannytone
    i understand what you're saying.
    too many people class 'getting' old as being a fdisability.
    what you need to do is compare yourself with your peers.
    not everyone is super fit and physically able ... but if your within a reasonable degree of other people the same age, then it is raging and not disability
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 29th May 17, 2:26 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    i understand what you're saying.
    too many people class 'getting' old as being a fdisability.
    what you need to do is compare yourself with your peers.
    not everyone is super fit and physically able ... but if your within a reasonable degree of other people the same age, then it is raging and not disability
    Exactly my point

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 10th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    thats how it has always been. if entitled before 65th birthday then you keep it IF you continue to be entitled

But not now, you get re-assessed for PP whatever. I had that same assumption , don't really see where NT sits on this.

You are affirming what I thought in post #8 when everyone says it's no longer the case???, Confused?, I am now.

Or did you mean "you kept it"
    Last edited by cyclonebri1; 10-06-2017 at 6:49 PM.

• w06
    • By w06 10th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    w06
    If you're entitled to it you keep it. Plenty of us in our 20s, 30s 40s 50s will also never ever get better.

The only way to be fair is to reassess everybody periodically, exempting one group arbitarily from reassessment is unfair.

The alternative is the DLA system where some people who weren't very disabled ended up with higher rate care and mobility without a face to face assessment and were not reassessed, and so one mistake was carried forward potentially for their lifetime.

Reassessment occasionally seems fair for being given up to £7000/year. The way of dealing with not going to improve conditions in the PIP system is an ongoing award, that's not reviewed for at least 10 years (but with usual responsibilities to report a change).
    Last edited by w06; 10-06-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 11th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I totally agree with you, it's just the differing ways folks are saying it, ie if you are entitled to it at 65 you keep it. I fully understand that if you don't deserve it you shouldn't get it, but younger folks won't get the worry and need for assurance that comes with old age untill later.

You actually start ticking off things you no longer need to worry about, well I do anyway, future medicals, the stress of dealing with them is something that does worry.

For any younger folks you have my sympathy, at least I got to 55 before the issues kicked in.

It's people with genuine mental health issues I feel for, they seem to be easy fodder for the decision makers if what I read here is factual.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter