Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Continue with purchase or wait it out?

Continue!

0% • 0 votes

Wait it out!

0% • 0 votes

You may not vote on this poll

0 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • jakhar
    • By jakhar 19th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jakhar
    First Time Buyer with HTB on New Build
    • 19th May 17, 3:58 PM
    First Time Buyer with HTB on New Build 19th May 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am just looking for some advice as a first time buyer, with a help to buy ISA, buying a new build property.

I have been looking at a new build estate, that is in the final stages of development near to where my family live and have friends already living on the estate. I have to say I generally don't like new build estates, but this is in a countryside setting with lots of green space and a nice development by Barratt. There is little new build developments in my area (countryside) and those that do come on are generally too expensive.

When I enquired they said they have two 2 beds coming up and that there is such high demand that the last 2 beds went in an hour of being on the market. Therefore, I reserved one of the plots straight away when they came up, as not to miss out.

When my friend first moved in on the estate over a year ago, he paid £155k for a 2-bed. The price of the new releases came on at £185k, however, they have a west-facing/slightly bigger garden which isn't overlooked, are semi-detached as opposed to terraced and look out on a park/play area instead of other houses.

However, I am now having second thoughts. It seems like a lot of money for what it is and the other identical plot is still on the market (a week later). What I would essentially like advice on, is should I continue with the purchase with what is an overpriced property or wait it out and hope something else comes up? If I wait, I will be able to save more, but property price could go up too.

In terms of finances, I am able to afford the house, with some aside for flooring, fees etc. It's not the affordability, more the value.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 11,768 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    ...but this is in a countryside setting with lots of green space and a nice development by Barratt. There is little new build developments in my area (countryside) and those that do come on are generally too expensive.
    Originally posted by jakhar
    I'd be more concerned with future housing estates...

...and a nice development by Barratt.
    Originally posted by jakhar
    Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? They're generally not so popular - search the board, there was something not long ago I think.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • jakhar
    • By jakhar 19th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jakhar
    • 19th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:19 PM
    Thanks for the quick response!

As far as future housing estates go, I think it will be unlikely nearby (although not impossible) as the site was a brownfield site and is enclosed on most sides by roads, country park and business park.

I did have a look and couldn't seem to find anything about Barratts. Could you post a link?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 11,768 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:31 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5639179&highlight=barratts

not specifically them, but mentions re them http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5634889&highlight=barratts

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5518671&highlight=barratts

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2201481&highlight=barratts

Lots of other mentions. Just type 'barratts' (and other variations if you like as there are prob lots of spelling mistakes) into the search bar.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter