Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 19th May 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,292Posts
    • 1,025Thanks
    bxboards
    Online agent - suspect 'fake' offer (no sale no fee)
    • 19th May 17, 2:34 PM
    Online agent - suspect 'fake' offer (no sale no fee) 19th May 17 at 2:34 PM
    Hello

Around 3 months ago I listed a property with an online agent under a no sale no fee basis. There was a set up fee payable in advance, which is reclaimable if there has been no offer within 91 days.

Today is day 89 or 90 (went live around 19th / 20th Feb) and I have had an 'offer' of 4k below asking price.

My issue is that the 'person' offering has never even viewed the property! I phoned the online agent, and they said is was unusual, and after calling the alleged buyer, I was told they were based overseas.

I have to say, too be totally honest, this feels like bogus offer as I can't imagine someone is going to upsticks from the continent and buy a house they have never even seen. This offer may also be a way of avoid refunding the refundable set up fee if no offer after 91 days my cynical side says...

Thoughts...does anyone think it's plausible I have a genuine offer from someone outside the UK who has never ever viewed it?
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 9,535 Posts
    • 12,021 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Ask for details of their in-house complaints procedure. I expect you'll have to complete that before taking it further.

Good luck!
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Jul 17, 1:18 AM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    eddddy
    If what you suspect is correct - i.e. they 'made up' an offer to avoid refunding your fee...

... that would be fraud by false representation, which is a criminal offence.

Whether or not I planned to report them, I think I'd try pushing the EA a bit further, by asking the EA for an email address and phone number of the buyer, to discuss completion dates etc.
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 9th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    jimbog
    If what you suspect is correct - i.e. they 'made up' an offer to avoid refunding your fee...

... that would be fraud by false representation, which is a criminal offence.

Whether or not I planned to report them, I think I'd try pushing the EA a bit further, by asking the EA for an email address and phone number of the buyer, to discuss completion dates etc.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Good idea. They are supposed to be working for you so you have that right.
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,310Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter