Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peterg1965
    • By peterg1965 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,990Posts
    • 1,683Thanks
    peterg1965
    Tax Code on pension whilst still working
    • 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    Tax Code on pension whilst still working 19th May 17 at 1:46 PM
    My wife is now in receipt of her modest NHS pension and is still working part time in Healthcare, but not the NHS, her new part time role has started at the same time as she retired from the NHS. Her new salary will be about £12000-£12500/ year, so just above the personal allowance threshold, and her pension is £6000/year.

She hasn't spoken to the HMRC, but they have allocated all of her Tax allowance to her job - 1185L and given her a BR tax code for her pension.

My question - is this the optimum way to use the tax code, and do you have a say in how it is allocated by HMRC? My initial thought was to split it 600L to pension and 585L to new job, but if this has exactly the same outcome then no action required.

Thanks
Page 1
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    My personal thought on this is to give a code that ALMOST covers the pension & just leaves a very small amount of tax payable and have the rest against the employment. My reasons are that the pension is forever & she may decide to leave the job tomorrow. That gives the (almost) maximum income until such time as the tax code gets sorted out. Rather than a drop of salary AND 20% of the pension. But as you say it will have exactly the same outcome.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 19th May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 8,060 Thanks
    Linton
    • 19th May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:18 PM
    Any allocation of tax codes achieves the same result in the end. HMRC will set up one they believe to be appropriate, however you can ask them to change it however you want. I believe, but havent tried, that you can change the allocation yourself online using your personal tax account. The main issue is whether the allocation can be set up to minimise the necessity to make changes over time. The problem is that HMRC assumes that incomes rise with inflation and allocates additional allowances accordingly which can be rather a problem for fixed or highly variable income streams giving you allowances which you dont actually fill.

So what I do is to to have all the allowances applied to my largest steady income stream which, although fixed, is larger than the overall tax allowance is likely to reach in the next decade. Then all other income streams are set to a zero tax code. However your circumstances may require something different.
    • peterg1965
    • By peterg1965 19th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    peterg1965
    • 19th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:34 PM
    Thank you both for your input, appreciated.
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 19th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    • 19th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:50 PM
    The way they've done it means she'll pay exactly the right amount of tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

1,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin