Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 19th May 17, 1:30 PM
    • 561Posts
    • 1,844Thanks
    kimplus8
    BR and ad hoc child support
    • 19th May 17, 1:30 PM
    BR and ad hoc child support 19th May 17 at 1:30 PM
    hi guys,
    I am in the middle of going through my BR and on my initial application I noted that I receive 130 per month is child support.
    However, this is very ad hoc, some months I get it and some months I don't. The CMS chase him and then I get it again for a bit and then he will miss a few payments and then pay the odd one again.
    If the enforce it, he quits his job and pays nothing for a while and then may pay again.
    The question I have is do I put this down as income or do I not and just inform the OR if and when he does pay as its so uncertain.
    thanks again.
    Single Momma to 8 beautiful babies , busting debt , member of the Save 1000 emergency fund club 30/1000
    Check out my Debt Free Diary
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    Hi Kim

I would include details of any income received - however erratic and ad hoc it might be - in your application. When your application is subsequently passed through to the OR, they will be able to discuss matters like this in greater depth in your (most probably telephone) interview.

I can't speak for individual ORs as they will all have their own approaches to such situations, but it's reasonable to assume that they will ask you to keep them updated as you go along, so that they can then take a view on the level of any payments they expect you to make.

They may, of course, decide that even with child support taken into account there is not enough available to justify any income payments at all, in which case it won't make much difference from their perspective how reliable those child support payments are.

Hope that helps.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,572Posts Today

7,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin