Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • prezzacc
    • By prezzacc 19th May 17, 1:23 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 5Thanks
    prezzacc
    New accounts & Credit score
    • 19th May 17, 1:23 PM
    New accounts & Credit score 19th May 17 at 1:23 PM
    So after much help from this site and forum, i plan on opening 3 new bank and 1 savings account. Im planning to do this within a short timescale, ie a month.

Obviously this wont look great on my credit score but how long will it be before its not a major concern to lenders. I have a mortgage i cant see making any changes to for many years if at all. And plan to have no credit card / phone etc credit applications so dont see it should be a major problem?

Just wondered if others had a different view?

Thanks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 19th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 4,524 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 19th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:48 PM
    Each credit search stays on your file for a year so if you're successful with your three bank account applications then that'll be three searches, but obviously if you have to look further afield for the three bank accounts then there'll be more searches. Savings accounts aren't credit products and therefore don't involve credit searches.

It's not practical to say that it is or isn't a major concern to lenders, i.e. they don't publish criteria that say you'll be OK with no more than x searches in the past y months, and each lender will have their own scoring methodology anyway, much of it based on their own internal rules, so credit file data is only ever part of the picture.

See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score for further info....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,923Posts Today

8,655Users online

Martin's Twitter