Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MK_
    • By MK_ 19th May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MK_
    Mortgage best buys search - Virgin Money?
    • 19th May 17, 1:04 PM
    Mortgage best buys search - Virgin Money? 19th May 17 at 1:04 PM
    Is there a reason why Virgin money products available to the public direct from their website are not showing up when I use the MSE Mortgage best buys tool?
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 19th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 15,911 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    ACG
    • 19th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:31 PM
    Are they a best buy?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 20th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    clairebeth
    • 20th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 20th May 17, 11:23 AM
    I've just looked them up, they actually do have pretty good rates. So maybe the MSE calculator is not really whole of market.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 21st May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 10,071 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 21st May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 21st May 17, 2:06 PM
    Perhaps VM aren't paying to be listed like the others.

Best buys charts are commonplace, they are often best for the list promoter, not the borrower.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • MK_
    • By MK_ 22nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MK_
    • 22nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    Are they a best buy?
    Originally posted by ACG
    Well for the range of products were are looking at (borrowing approx £200k, LTV 69%,5 Year fixed), their standard "everyday 5 year fixed" was fractionally cheaper PCM than anything that the MSE search engine threw up.

The description of the MSE search engine suggests that there are no "paid for" inclusions, and so the whole point of it being unbiased. I wasnt expecting it to cover the whole of the market, but was surprised when one of the lenders listed on the search criteria (you can tick the box to include virgin money) wasnt included in the results.

Not to worry, I wasn't treating the MSE search as the gospel anyway, rather using it to get an understanding of the market before I part with my hard-earned.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 22nd May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 15,911 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    ACG
    • 22nd May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 9:53 AM
    It could be their fees which have thrown it out?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • MK_
    • By MK_ 22nd May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MK_
    • 22nd May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 10:06 AM
    It could be their fees which have thrown it out?
    Originally posted by ACG
    from what I can tell, they have a standard £995 arrangement fee - (although they do a few other products with no fee but a higher PCM to offset it). Again, would still work out cheaper than most of the products on the first few pages that the MSE search produces.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 22nd May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 15,911 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    ACG
    • 22nd May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 11:52 AM
    I'm all out of ideas
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,521Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin