Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 19th May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,503Posts
    • 2,359Thanks
    Taiko
    Office Relocation
    • 19th May 17, 12:41 PM
    Office Relocation 19th May 17 at 12:41 PM
    Hoping someone can interpret this for me, and make sure I'm understanding the contract term correctly.

My current office will be closing down in the next few months, and relocating to another office about 10 miles away, albeit with an added travelling time of about 30mins.

My current contract states my usual place of work is my current office, but the agreement that I perform my duties in other locations as required by the business. This has meant occasional meetings in other offices dotted around the country.

With the current office closing down, is there likely to be any entitlement to reimbursement of the additional expense for any period of time? There's nothing specific within the contract detailing closures and permanent relocation.
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 19th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 19th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:43 PM
    There's no entitlement no. It is up to the employer if they are willing to offer anything.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    10 miles is hardly a long way in the grand scheme
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    No. It's likely that the change of venue is a reasonable variation of your contract.
    If not, you could argue that you were redundant as your place of work was closing, they offer the same job at the new location as a reasonable alternative
    Either way, the outcome is the same, you do the extra travel and have burned some goodwill with you employer.

You could ask your employer whether they are willing to offer anything to ease the transition - some employers may offer something on a short term basis to help you adjust
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 19th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Taiko
    • 19th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:36 PM
    Thought as such. It's not a major issue for myself, but we have a couple staff reliant on public transport, and the new office itself has no bus routes, and the nearest rail station being around an hours walk. We are due to meet with HR at some stage, so wanted to confirm the position we'd be in, which sounds as if we should take any beneficial offer.

Thanks all!
    • London50
    • By London50 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    My partner had the same situation a number of years back {located less than 5 mins from home to 8/10 mile away}. The company agreed to a fuel allowance for car drivers and a yearly reducing upfront payment {4 years} for travel fare for staff using public transport.
    It is just a case of asking and see what is on possible offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,303Posts Today

6,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin