Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fellsta
    • By Fellsta 19th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fellsta
    HELP - Van insurance cancellation
    • 19th May 17, 11:47 AM
    HELP - Van insurance cancellation 19th May 17 at 11:47 AM
    My Van has broke down and is now in the scrap yard. I have contacted my insurance company to cancel the Commercial vehicle Integrated insurance policy and they are trying to charge me £174 to cancel. Please can anyone advise what I can do to stop this robbery.

The policy is through Aviva who claim £25 cancellation charge, the person who informed me of this amount is from One Call Insurance. I have asked for a full written break down of their bloated charges which is claimed will be with me soon. I have by the 31 of May to offer an alternative payment or to atempt to appeal, if I have done nothing then they will simply take the money from my account and make me overdrawn incurring further charges to me.

It is bad enough that I now have no working van, but I can't afford that kind of charge! And even if I could it seems thoroughly innapropriate to charge that amount!

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 32,742 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    Await your broker's (One Call) itemisation of their charges and if they are outside of the cancellation fees you agreed when taking out the policy then dispute the bill

(When you use a broker, then their charges are in addition to any charges the insurer makes for cancelling early)
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    What is in the Terms and conditions regarding cancellation, I can't read it from here
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Fellsta
    • By Fellsta 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fellsta
    • 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    All I can find in the documentation I have is this

If you cancel after the 14 day period, I’m addition to the amount you have been charged for the time you have been covered, there will be a cancellation charge of up to £25.00 (plus Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 19th May 17, 5:18 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 19th May 17, 5:18 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:18 PM
    All I can find in the documentation I have is this
    Originally posted by Fellsta
    Where you paying monthly by Direct Debit?
    • Fellsta
    • By Fellsta 19th May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fellsta
    • 19th May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 19th May 17, 11:23 PM
    yes it was all DD
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 20th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 20th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 20th May 17, 8:00 AM
    yes it was all DD
    Originally posted by Fellsta
    Monthly direct debit is expensive and even if you had to cancel on month 6 for example you have to pay back the other 6 months as well, you are effectively getting a years service but in instalments.

Whether they give you the remaining months left is at the discretion of the insurer and above mentioned a broker so you have to pay them too.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin